LA, CA Quote on collecting: "When a habit begins to cost money, it?s called a hobby."

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountDuku3126 Jedi Knight

star 1
    APL, I have that action figure, the one of pregnant Padme. It was the first one that I got because Padme is totally awesome.
  2. Lord-Maximus Jedi Knight

I've had issues with storage as of late myself (I moved and trip over plastic tubs of toys every day as they consume any and all free space in my room!). I've also decided I'm going to have to hawk most of my toys/comics/cards on eBay as I just don't have the room after moving out of mommy and daddy's house. I did a lot of soul searching and decided that 1. The stuff I own currently owns me (not very Jedi-ish!) and 2. my most valuable figures and SW collectibles are so damn sensitive to temperature, etc. it just is so hard to keep it since I have to store it away to make sure it stays safe (one bad Northridge earthquake again and my good stuff is destroyed). I'm lucky in that all my OT loose toys from childhood fit in a small tub so those get to stay but otherwise I'm gonna start up the ebay again soon and see what happens. An air-conditioned storage unit is just too much money to spend on toys that you never get to enjoy cause they are in storage (plus the montly storeage fees end up sucking any collectible/profit value out of the toy). Hell, if I make some money on ebay, maybe I can put it towards the one thing I have always wanted - a carded 21 back Boba Fett! I've gotten to the point where I realize 99% of the thrill of collecting is in the inital "thrill of the hunt" for the toy and there's that 1% (like my dream Boba Fett) that would be able to proudly be displayed (until it is crushed in an earthquake or the extreme heat range of the valley warps/seperates/yellows the bubble). With color printers being so damn good nowadays, I just print out my favorite comic covers as it free and almost as good (if not better) than the actual covers I used to spend big money on to get. With the internet now, I can enjoy all the cool toys I've always wanted (like that damn Yak Face) but couldn't afford at the click of a button. I showed as much restraint as possible with this series of toys and having "cooled off" now for a couple of months, I'm not sad/mad that I missed any toys in particular. Just my two cents on our mega-collections we all seem to have and how they rule our lives. On that note, anyone interested in an old GI Joe Terrordrome? (just kidding)
  3. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That hurts me, that really does LM. However, I haven't come to that conclusion you have so wisely done. I will live in the darkness that is forever my Public Storage Unit at Oxnard and Sepulveda. I will one day have a home that will have a room for my dear loved ones. My preciousesesesesessss. I still go and visit now. I pet them on the head and tell them that daddy loves them and one day if they are good they will once again come live with me.

Let's make sure you post those ebay auctions here too mister toy man I may find them a home...one day...soon...maybe.

THEY'RE MINE ALL MINE I TELL YOU MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!

Dude I love this cough medicine. It rocks.
  4. Elensara Force Ghost

star 4
    *You* rock. I got a SW folder today (among my notebooks & folders for school); there were 3 kinds, all Vader. Why can't there be folders/notebooks with other characters, huh? I want a sexy Obi-Wan folder (that can make me feel bad about putting crappy chemistry/math/comm papers in).
  5. DarthMommy Jedi Master

star 2
    ES, was this stuff at Target. I may have to pick up a Vader folder even though I don't go to school anymore. I don't know if that's good or bad. I didn't actually mind some of the school stuff. I miss buying all that new stuff every fall.
  6. Elensara Force Ghost

star 4
    Yep, all at Target. The folders were 48 cents! Notebooks 10 cents! The only good part about back to school...
  7. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    While you may make more money through ebay, it would be nice if our members offer items up to the rest of us before selling them to strangers. Granted it could be bad for some of us to enlarge our collection but it would probably make most of us pretty happy.

I may have to hit Target on my way home just for a folder also.
  8. ValedaKor Force Ghost

star 5
    Saw this on yakface.com. These are majorly cool:

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/ValedaKor/b75bad39.jpg]
  9. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I picked up a bunch of those Darth Vader folders too, I forgot to post about it. I was hesitant about buying them, since I probably won't use them, but my wife reminded me that this will probably be the last time they will have stuff like that.. so buy away!! They also had SW notebooks, pencils, pens, lunchboxes (not old-school style), and backpacks. They all pretty much had the same Vader designs. ES is right, they should have other characters as well.
  10. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can't keep buying this stuff. My co-workers are trying to get me to buy that 12" light up Vader for $179. It's too much!
  11. Lord-Maximus Jedi Knight

SR - thanks for the laugh! That was funny stuff. Yeah, I talk to my toys too, sometimes they get out of line and you gotta let them know who the boss is!

DH - I would be happy to give you a heads up (all of LAFF) first before I put anything on eBay. I just didn't want to start hacking my stuff on this site as it is for fans, not selling merchandise and I want to keep the two seperate as to not anger anyone. I'm currently too lazy to start the eBay engine back up but I'll let you know when I do and I'll try to list what is going up when on this page (or whatever page pops up for collecting if this gets too big).

It's funny what we keep, the stuff that will NOT be going on eBay is the stuff that's really in monetary terms worth the least. My dad gave me 8 boxes of Burger King OT glasses (all three films) in the move and I'm hoarding/using those bad boys! I also have the ceramic Chewbacca wookie mug lucas keeps in his office (along with Vader and Kenobi) and those are priceless to me. I'm just getting sick of my carded toys starting to show their age so I will part with them before they can fall apart on me (which brings out the dark side in me). I have a carded ROTJ Boba Fett fireball that is my carded "jewel" right now and that is going along with the majority of my carded figs (SR, Cele III vader is safe - along with all my vader figs for that matter!!!).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to hit up Target as there is a rumor going around that they have Lord Vader folders!!!
  12. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    The Episode II lunchbox I just got has a flaw. Yes, I have seen it. It has puppet Ep.I Yoda on it. Not digital yoda! Very troubling this is. But perhaps this might make it more collectible later?
  13. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I got a DV sprinkler yesterday. Fun time in the summer time!
  14. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Unexpectedly, I found myself at Disneyland on Saturday and I picked up the three latest Star Tours figures (OTC packaging). I have no idea what the names of the figures are or what they are of. I just buy things now, and I have no idea what I've bought. I'm through with collecting.
  15. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    The Star Tours figures are robots from around the attraction. But not the one from Disneyland. They can be found scurrying about the Orlando version.
    And why don't you just buy an annual pass?
  16. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We bought annual passes too. But we got the cheapo SoCal Select annual pass which is not good on any day that most people go to Disneyland. Still, I don't think we'll go that often, and I don't like to go on crowded weekends (like this past one), so it may just work well for us. OMG, I'm Hasketting this thread.

On Friday, I upgraded my storage unit to one twice the size. It looks like most of my collection will be going there. Bye bye Star Wars room.
  17. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well I did some shopping too this weekend. I was out buying more cough medicine and stopped in at TRU which had something I have been needing for a very long time. The last piece of the Jedi Council. I could never find the Anakin, Saesee Tiin one until Saturday. I really wasn't in the mood to buy, but I couldn't pass it up so now my Council is complete.

Also, I got a Yoda mug from Starwarsshop.com that I ordered like forever ago. I forgot I had even ordered it. Yoda is supposed to turn green or something when you put hot liquid in the cup. It's too hot right now to drink anything but it will be great for winter hot chocolate.

Then I got the Han Solo bust from EE and Gentle Giant. I haven't picked it up yet but they have notified me that it is ready.

OK EDIT: I just read on the bottom of the Yoda mug and it says that it contains substances which can cause cancer and birth defects!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I return it? I don't think they mentioned that bit of info on the web page.
  18. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Keep the mug but don't use it. It'll be the "killer Yoda mug" that everyone will want years from now.

I forgot to mention that I won an eBay auction for a Episode III Bus Shelter poster. For those of you who have seen my collection know what I'm talking about. I have one for each of the Prequels. They're huge, but my wife made me take them down, so they may never see the light of day again.
  19. Lord-Maximus Jedi Knight

That's funny JR, my girlfriend seems to be very excited about me selling my toys on eBay. This is of course the second step, the first was getting me to take my stuff down from my room cause I was "too old" for it. Do you see a pattern forming? Do they know each other? Always an appretice and master...

Those bus posters are beautiful framed, you have to get a big house someday so you can decorate a game room with them!
  20. DarthMommy Jedi Master

star 2
    DH, I do have that Vader sprinkler. It's so weird to have Vader on it. For something like a sprinkler it should be Jar Jar or something.

I have yet to go to Target but I did see a Vader backpack at KB. It's too much like Batman-DV's got his cape spread out so I passed. Vader looks like he wants to take on Gotham City.

And gee whiz, I finally got my stuff from C3 I ordered from Star Wars Shop. I was beginning to wonder if they got my order (I had to throw that Obi Wan in there). Anyway, got the C3 pin, the scum and villainy shirt and the DV sweatshirt. It was all shoved into this teeny tiny box. They must have saved at least 7 cents on the box. I swear I didn't think it would ever come. I better place my order now for Easter just to make sure I get everything in time.
  21. DarthHaskett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, it took FOREVER to get the C3 merchandise sent. I had ordered some stuff for co-workers and my padawan's friends and it came in about a week away.
  22. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm currently drinking from my poisonous mug.
  23. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey JR, even with SoCal select you get some good days. If you don't like the crowds, start coming in mid September during the week. even for a couple hours. we're not as busy. But we still are booked up on Hotel rooms because of the 50th.

sorry. we should have a disney thread.
  24. DarthMommy Jedi Master

star 2
    Okay, so I went to Target and scored some booty. They had some DV notebooks with just lined paper, but not folders, so I was bummed. I was hoping they would have those binder folders and not just the paper ones. BUT I did pick up two DV lunch boxes and I thought they were pretty sweet. Came with the sandwich box on the zip compartment on the bottom. The only thing is there's like one image of Vader on everything. Also scored the padawan some DV shoes, now we have a collection of 5 pairs. And I couldn't leave without buying all the SW party goods-plates, napkins, bags, wrapping paper. George better send me a Christmas card this year.
  25. Skyryder Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What are you going to do with five pairs of DV shoes! That's crazy talk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.