qwest and msn

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by chunk_the_jawa, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    what a great combo they make . I been trying to get DSL since the 1st of Dec.finaly my DSL modem shows today I hook it up and nothing . it say that my line is not configured for DSL yet. they just knocked GL down to third in chunks most hated list.
    They cant even get my nameright I been telling them since the tenth of dec I am not willam willingham and I have no idea who he is. but everything they have my account number on says that name. except the phone bill of course that is corect.
    WELL if anybody wants to hit me in the head with a bat and make me a slobering vegtable I could get a job at qwest.
  2. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    I work at Qwest and I can tell you what happens when someone orders DSL...well not really but I ordered it a year ago and so have my friends and this is what happens. Well you put in a request. That's good, then they send you the stuff...great. You put it all in and test it.. No DSL..suprise? Yeah. But it's normal. They haven't activiated your account yet. Sometimes they'll activiate your account a day earlier than expected which is what happened with me and it was awesome. If they say your line quality isn't good enough, they have to put in a while 'nother phone line, replacing your existing one. because the phone line probably only runs analog signals and no digital signals. Bleh, I can't get DSL in my area because I'm a block out of range...the bastards! The CO in littleton is like 5 blocks from my house but can't use their CO for DSL, so stupid. but yeah, that's what goes on with DSL
  3. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    lol no they just have me down as wrong person then wrong address the right address then thi then that ,
    well not everybody at qwest is a slobering vegtable I guess. my apolagieze JO
  4. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Until they run DSL, cable, shotgun tech or something up to me in Coal Creek, they are all "UNFORGIVEN"!!!!

I'm dyin' up here in slo-mo......
  5. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *looks confused*

even if they put in a new phone line, it is an analog signal going over the line...unless they're installing like a fiber phone line or something...which would be sweet for internet :).
  6. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4
    With DSL they run both the analog signal for voice and the digital signal for data simultaneously and older copper wiring can't handle both signals. I ran into this in my apartment building when I tried DSL a year and a half ago.
  7. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    so is it a special phone line? b/c from what I understand, to go over a fone line, a digital signal's gotta be converted into an analog one...that's what the modem's for. How do you send a digital signal over metallic line?
  8. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not sure what they saying ?
  9. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    DSL requires all-new wiring, so they normally don't refit older areas, and cable requires a lot more than that, including station routing blocks every so many hundred feet. AND THEY AREN'T GOING TO DO EITHER UP HERE!!!!
  10. Lewis_Black Jedi Knight

star 2
    Why not spring the $10,000 for your very own T-1 line? In the future, everyone will need one. Be the first on your block!
  11. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    we have cable internet available in my little rinkydink town back in Kansas...I guess one of the companies offers it here in the springs, but it just happens that it's not the one that the military bases use...blah.
  12. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    not a special phone line. Every newer phone line has i believe 4 pairs...could be 2 pairs...anyhow, half of them are digital, half of them are analog. The DSL modem communicates over the digital pair while the phoneline only utilizes the analog. This is how people can use the phone while using the same phone line to get on the internet. Basically what JP said
  13. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Right! But that's the problem for us up in the hills, we have only the oldest style lines which can only handle one analog at a time.....AND IT SUCKS!!!!!
  14. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
  15. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm still waiting to hear if my new line is for sure set for DSL. I'm starting to get very irritated, especially since the number the guy who was setting up my account gave is busy all of the time!

JO - Sorry, Bud, but you are working for a serious dinosaur, the slow moving, nearly frozen kind.
  16. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    haha man, this is going to suck when it's available in my area...which basically means being able to use Littleton's CO. I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to get back online with their MSN bullsh$@. I already have a modem, just hook me up for service! haha
  18. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    they cant even get my name right.
    grrrrrrr
  19. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Yup, and I told them that buying US West was a bad idea. But did they listen to me? Noooooooo. They just laid me off and left me to rot on the street. :b

IMHO, anything US West related is a total waste of time. Unless they'll hire me, then I'll take it until I can get hired somewhere else.....
  20. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    if it had 4 pair it would have to be an RJ-45 connector, so it must be 2 pair (unless it's 3-pair b/c there are 6pin RJ-11 connectors).

But when you have DSL, don't you have a DSL modem? The modem (modulator/demodulator) changes the signal to analog to go over the phone line, and then when it comes in, it changes it to digital for the computer. Anyway, if you have a DSL modem, then it would still be an analog signal being sent over the line.

Sorry, I'm still trying to refer back to my tech school texts...maybe I'm getting something confused, but *shrug*.
  21. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the way I understand it is the digital signal is at a higher frq than the analog. a filte alows you to talk on the phon with out hearing the static of the digital . to much mumbo jumbo for me to understand.
  22. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    but it would have to be changed to an analog signal to be sent over the same line, higher frequency or not...
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.