main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm actually enthralled with this book, House Warfare is one of my favorite things to read about. Most of my favorite books have it in them at least somewhat. :)

Evil.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Unfortunately, its the only one in the series that really focuses on house warfare - though it does appear again in a few places.

Also, I'll be reading Road of the Patriarch and the Cleric Quintet shortly (thank you, Tiggermyk!) :)

3. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
    I read a fanfiction once that theorized that not a single drow had ever died of old age. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it probably wasn't too far from the truth. And you're quite welcome, RJ. :)

Evil, if you haven't read it yet, and if I'm remembering correctly, The War of the Spider Queen series has more house warfare in it--but I read only the first two in the series when they first came out in 2002, so I could be misremembering. The first one is Dissolution by Richard Lee Byers; all six were written by different authors, with the whole thing overseen by RAS.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I could see that - anytime one got close to dieing of old age they'd be killed by some younger person wanting their position, or something like that. Though they can get pretty old before that point comes - look at Baenre for an (extreme?) example.

5. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I just finished Homeland, it was amazing. But my borders doesn't carry the rest of the books any longer, so I have to find them somewhere else. :(

Evil.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I got Homeland from the library - have you checked there? Or can Borders order it?

7. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Well I didn't really want to wait for it. :p

But I ended up ordering it from Amazon for dirt cheap, it should be here in a couple of days. :)

Evil.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well you got a lot of books to read before The Ghost King comes out this fall. :p

9. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Indeed I do, it's a good thing they're not 800+ page novels. :p

Evil.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm about halfway through Exile. I have to say, I'm enjoying them - good plots, good characters, easy to read.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I definitely enjoyed Canticle (first of the Cleric Quintet)... haven't gotten very far in the second one yet, though. I greatly prefer Cadderly as a main character instead of Entreri and Jarlaxle.

12. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I blasted through exile when I got it in the male, and am currently halfway through sojourn.

I love these books. :)

Evil.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Does Sal's writing improve any at all during the course of the books? Like I said on the first page I read most of the IcewindDale Tril and that is it, but I have like 5 or six large HC covers of this series at home just sitting there and I am now considering reading them.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It definitely improves from Icewind Dale - that's some of his best storyline, but the writing quality marks it pretty clearly as his early work. That definitely improves notably in other series.

15. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I'll be getting the Icewind Dale Trilogy in a couple of days, I can't wait for it. :)

Evil.

16. Ice_and_Fire

Ice_and_Fire Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2009
    I am also in the middle of the Icewind Dale trilogy. I definately like the first three books, but for some reason by intereest waned a little bit while reading crystal shards. I've been stuck slowly getting throught the Icewind Dale trilogy, and I have checked out the trilogy and returned it three times now. It's good to hear that tjhe writing quality improves because I am enchanted with Drizzt and want to keep exploring his adventures and character. On the otherhand I've also heard it said that the classic old Drizzt books are the only good ones with the classic old characters from the Icewind Dale trilogy. So I guess I'll just have to keep reading and find out.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I finished the first trilogy. I enjoyed it, but I thought the end of the third story was a bit rushed - Salvatore had to get Drizzt to a certain place at a certain time to match up with the Icewind Dale trilogy, and as as result, the last half or third of the third book seemed rushed.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It was a little rushed, but I still enjoyed it.

I'm currently on Fallen Fortress (book 4 of Cleric Quintet), among other books... definitely enjoying this series. Its up there with the early Drizzt books (Dark Elf/Icewind Dale) for me, and definitely better than Sellswords, IMO.

19. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm on Streams of Silver right now, book two of the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Evil.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm about 60 pages into The Crystal Shard. Not as jump-out-at-you good as the previous three, but not bad either.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm working on The Thousand Orcs, part of the Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Its nice to be back with Drizzt and his companions after Sellswords and Cleric Quintet (though I definitely enjoyed the latter), though so far the main plotline seems to be about throwing lots of orcs at the main characters. With that title, big surprise :p

22. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    It took me awhile to jump into The Crystal shard as well, but it only gets better as you read. :)

Evil.

23. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I'll admit that, too. After reading the Dark Elf stuff, it's weird to sort of see Drizzt take an initial backseat to this relatively new world, but it gets better and things start to make sense aboveground the more you read.

Mmmm... Drizzt banner. [face_love]

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Thousand Orcs was pretty good, even if Salvatore did go back to his usual "think someone is dead" theme (whether its the reader thinking such or another character) :p

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Banner is still up.

So I enjoyed the Hunter's Blades Trilogy... though it wasn't quite on a level with Dark Elf or Icewind Dale. Still very enjoyable, though, much better than Sellswords, IMO. Probably the last of Salvatore's works I'll be reading for a while, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.