R.I.P. Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by AKAI_FETT, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Freak or not, being a Star Wars fan gives him some credit in my book. Putting together what I gather from these endless news reports (like there isn't anything else news worthy on the planet out there to report...) it seems as he grew older it seems like that he wished to go back to a more simple time where he could be a kid again and before all the insane fame prior to the age of 5. This I can also imagine lead to his fascination with children, Neverland Ranch, playing with kids, etc... Psychologically anyone under that much scrutiny and stress would and could very much snap in certain way we could not possibly understand. In a way, the limelight was his blessing and curse at the same time. At least he can rest in peace... Now if the media would let the rest of us rest in peace about this...
  2. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Carrie Fisher writes about Michael:

http://carriefisher.com/?p=439
  3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Carrie wrote a very lovely piece. I was not a huge Michael Jackson fan, but do wish his family well and hope that he finds peace wherever he is now.

I was more worried about who would get custody of his chimp, Bubbles, than who would get custody of the kids, because the kids are human and no doubt he made plans for their care if this should happen.

My co-worker is a big fan and she told me that the chimp was given to a place that takes care of animals that can't go to zoos or to another person because of their age.

Yeah, I know, I love animals.

Anyhow, RIP Michael.
  4. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Last night I caught the made-for-TV movie, The Jacksons: An American Dream on VH1. It's pretty cool to see how they came from that tiny house in Gary, Indiana to the becoming the famous act they did. And its interesting to see how things in Michael's upbringing shaped him into the adult he became, and what eventually led to his tragic passing.

Casting was quite good. Some of the cast includes Angela Basset as Katherine Jackson, Holly Robinson-Peete as Diana Ross, Terence Howard as an older Jackie Jackson and Billy Dee Williams as Motown founder Berry Gordy. It was executive prodiced by Jermaine Jackson and choreography was by Michael Peters, who was in (and choreographed) the Beat It as well as the Thriller videos.

I think it might be a good idea for Disney to bring back the Captain EO attraction, even if for a limited time. The public would definitely check it out.

:cool:

5. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    That was a pretty cool tribute to MJ at the MTV VMA's, with Madonna, Janet Jackson, and MJ's dancers. This Is It, a film with Michael's rehearsal footage for his tour of the same name, will be hitting theaters Oct. 28.

And to comment on the VMA's, Kanye, that was just rude! :mad: I felt so bad for Taylor Swift. Props to Beyonce for showing some class. =D=

6. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3

[image=http://cdn.videogum.com/img/thumbnails/posts/gayfish.jpg]

Kanye West likes fish sticks
  7. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was just watching the Dateline NBC Special, The Michael Jackson Tapes. The book goes on sale soon, as is an accompanying audio version, I assume.

Tickets for the documentary, This Is It go on sale at 12:01 am on this Sunday, 9/27.

The film will be playing for only two weeks beginning Oct. 28.

http://www.fandango.com/michaeljacksonsthisisit_126972/movieoverview

http://www.fandango.com/michaeljacksonsthisisit2009_126972/movietimes?location=94103
  8. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Earliest showings are at 9:00 PM on Tuesday the 28th. But no IMax times are up yet. But since it's playing at Century Downtown it's unlikely that it will play at the Metreon anyway.
  9. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Dale and I got tickets for This Is It at Century (SF) on Oct. 28, 9 pm show. In case you were wondering, the Costco passes DO apply for this.
  10. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    There is no 9:00 showing on the 28th @ Century SF. Did you mean the 27th?
  11. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    This is what it says on our tickets.
  12. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd like to go see this with you guys, but when I check the century theater web site for the 28th this is what I get:

http://www.fandango.com/centurysanfranciscocentre9_aaudv/theaterpage?date=10/28/2009

Century San Francisco Centre 9

845 Market Street 5th floor of Westfield Shopping Centre
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    (415) 538-8422

* THX certified theater
    * Stadium seating
    * No Passes

Michael Jackson's This Is It NEW!
    PG ? 1 hr. 51 min.

* 11:00am
    * 12:40
    * 3:20
    * 4:20
    * 6:00
    * 7:00
    * 8:40
    * 9:40

DP (Digital Projection) Showtimes More Info

* 11:50am
    * 2:30
    * 7:50
    * 10:30

------------------

Is your ticket for the Century in Westfield? Did they change the show times? Maybe you can call them and find out what time your ticket applies to?
  13. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope 100% of the profits of this show go to his kids and not any of the parasites
  14. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I just called Century. The 9:00pm show Matt bought a ticket to was canceled. LOL! So he has to call them and work out trading his tickets for another show time.

I think Matt will post once he knows which show he and Dale are switching too.
  15. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was told I could use our current tickets for any of the new showtimes on Wednesday. But I'll have Dale switch them tomorrow to the 7:50 show (digital).
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks - I got a ticket. I've been wanting to see this. But going alone in San Jose would have been uneventful.
  17. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    I exchanged our tickets for the 7:50 show and got two mini-posters! ;)

Kathy, what time are you getting there?
  18. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    That's cool they gave you posters. Something tells me they will be out of them by Wednesday.

I dunno what time to meet you guys. How early do you think we need to line up? Should I be planning to get dinner at Metreon, or eating a super early dinner at home?
  19. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Dale and I were thinking of having dinner downstairs in the food court area around 6. Kathy, if you get to the city a little before 6 pm, you can maybe see if you can find street parking (its free after 6) to save you $ on the garage. We'll be taking pics of Yoda during the day around SF if you want to join us too.
  20. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    As far as eating before the show, I suggest going to Bistro Burger in Westfield's food Emporium. $8 gets you a burger, fries, drink combo.
  21. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    OK - I'll meet you around 6:00pm in the Westfield food court then?

Thanks for the invite with Yoda, but I have a lot to do around the house and I'm trying to make myself get back to some sewing projects.

22. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow! That was so cool! Now it hurts even more to know that MJ is gone, seeing what would have undoubtedly been an AWESOME show. =D= Viewing it in a theater seems to have been the closest as seeing it live. Too bad it wasn't in IMAX here.

Some people left during the credits, but we stayed until the very end, and I'm glad we did.

:D

For those saying he was in poor health, I challenge anyone to do those moves he still able to do, and have back-up dancers in their twenties try to keep up. It's hard to believe he was 50! Even I can't even do some of those moves.

We'll miss you MJ!

@};-

23. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, watching this was almost bittersweet. In a way, seeing the rehearsal footage made it more personal as you see all the work he puts into making a polished performance. At 50, it was obvious to me he could not move as well as he did when he was in his 20's but that's like saying Jackie Chan can't move as well as he did in his 20's either. He still had moves and could carry on as well as the young dancers in the group.
  24. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I agree with what Matt and Robert expressed. I was even thinking that despite Michael's obvious struggle with drugs over the years (that's really what did him in - well, probably stemmed by how he dealt with pressure of the business), he was performing better than Elvis had when he had been totally doped up performing to an audience. Micheal was taking his craft very seriously. Sure, at 50 he didn't have the same explosive energy that he had in his 20s, (and well, in some rehearsals looked a little sluggish for Michael. If he was having sleep issues that would explain things) His natural gift for dance and vocals were still there - he was still very much an entertainer.

It's amazing how much work he, the entire band, and production crew put into that show. The band was amazing! So on one hand it seems fitting that the public should see what Michael and the band were working on - even if the show was not in a polished state. It was presented very tastefully too, not dwelling for one second on the fact that Michael is no longer with us. In fact, the only hint in the film that he had passed on was at the very end... some text graphic saying something like "Michel Jackson, King of Pop,"... and I think "Music lives forever." No birth and death dates. No sobbing fans. Very classy.

On another note, I thought it was interesting to see Michael's approach in communicating with people. He seemed very sensitive to making sure that although he might be asking for changes in tempo, cues, or adjustments on his ear pieces - he'd finish by saying 'with love' as if he wanted to make sure people knew he was not just barking out orders, but that he respected the crew and it was for the love of making the show the best it could be. But man, was he frustrated with the keyboard dude on "The way you make me feel" when they were working on the arrangement. I almost felt like the guy was screwing with the song on purpose to get a reaction out of Michael. At least he made him laugh when he told him he wanted to give Michael what he wanted to hear, but add some "Booty" to it. LOL!

25. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was impressed by his lead guitarist, the one he said "This is your moment to shine." Then I realized it was her album promo that was before the film. She's played with Prince, Clapton, Santana, Steve Vai, and Carrie Underwood. Impressive resume for someone in their 20's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.