main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC R.I.P - SF Author Frederik Pohl Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Community' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 5, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Locus Magazine Obituary

Just came across this while looking for something else on the Locus Magazine site.

SFWA Grandmaster, author, editor, agent, and fan Frederik Pohl, 93, died September 2, 2013.
    Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was born November 26, 1919 in New York City. He was one of the earliest SF fans, attending the first SF convention in Philadelphia in 1936, and was one of the founders of the Futurians and the Hydra Club.

I know I have quite a few of his books in my collection. He had a good long life. R.I.P. @};-

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    LAJ, I swear, the only time you come to the JCC is when somebody dies. :p

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I lurk quite a bit, and post in a few threads if they interest me (book thread, Doctor Who, for example).

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Those are boring threads though. Post in the fun threads!

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I've only read one Pohl novel, Mining The Oort. He's one of those mega popular authors that passed under my radar.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Gateway series was one of my favorites as a kid. He was one of the 20th century giants in that tier just below Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc. All those guys born between 1900-1920. The L. Ron Hubbard generation. Philip Jose Farmer's another one I love. The greats who got their start in the pulp sci fi magazines. I guess they're pretty much just about all dead.

I don't even know how a sci fi author gets his start now. E book self publishing? Like the guy who did "Wool."

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the first three horsemen of the sequel trilogy are unmasked. the fourth and most terrible is yet to come...

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There's actually a pretty robust group semi-pro magazines that serve the equivalent function. For instance, Locus and Nebula award winner Aliette de Bodard published her first works in Interzone, and still has the majority of her bibliography in places like Clarkesworld. A number of established authors who started their career after the new millennium talk about early acceptances in places that paid less than 1 cent per word. There's plenty of low quality/low reward venues for young authors.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

I love you.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    You make me wish I'd kept up with younger generations of sci fi writers. I don't know much about anything written after the 1980s.