main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[R.I.P,] Sports casualties of 2007

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Damn he's the only one on NBC's race coverage I mildly liked.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes, and within like 10 days. I really was hoping this wasn't to be a particular popular thread, due to inactivity and lack of death. :(

That's #4?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Dennis Johnson, Celtics legend died at the age of 52 this week. He certainly wasn't regarded as highly as he probably deserved to be.

I'd also like to make note of L.T.'s father, who wasn't an athlete, but meant a lot to his son.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Six members of the Bluffton University baseball team died in a bus crash this morning. The story can be found here. This is just tragic, and it rocking the community in and around the University and city of Bluffton.

6. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    What is going on, 2007? This year has been full of tragedy. Things have got to get better.

@};-

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Another tragic event, in a year that has certainly been full of them. I really hope this trend doesn't continue, its bad enough already.

R.I.P.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Just heard about this on the radio on my way home. This is just terrible.

:(

9. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
  10. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004

What a shame, yet another tragedy this year. :(

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Legendary coach Eddie Robinson passed away at an Atlanta hospital at age 84. He was Grambling coach for over 45 years and amassed 400+ career wins and sent over 200 players to the NFL.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sad to report the death of Cardinals reliever Josh Hancock, killed in car accident. Tonights SNB Cubs-Cards game has been postponed.

ST. LOUIS -- Josh Hancock, a key member of the bullpen that helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, was killed in a car crash early Sunday.

The Cardinals said they were told of the 29-year-old reliever's death by the St. Louis Police Department. The team's home game against the Chicago Cubs on Sunday night was postponed.

The team said the accident happened in St. Louis, but no other details were disclosed. The Cardinals and police are expected to make a statement this afternoon at Busch Stadium.

Hancock has pitched for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Hancock joined the Cardinals before the 2006 season. He has pitched for Boston, Philadelphia and Cincinnati.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2853149

@};-

13. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    :( Way to young. @};-

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Way too young indeed.

RIP @};-

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Very sad especially at that age

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I really don't know what to say about this, besides it should not be like this.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A former NFL linebacker who played for the Redskins died as well over the last weekend of a heart attack at age 36.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ugh, these are happening with far too much frequency.

For those of us that follow boxing, this probably is more stunning than for the majority who never got to see Diego Corrales fight--but you really should try to dig up his Castillo fight from a few yrs back if you have any remote interest in the sport.

"Chico" was killed in a motorcycle accident in Vegas tonight, at 29. Very tragic loss.
    @};-

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2863505

Former two-division champion Corrales killed in Vegas

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

Former two-division world champion Diego "Chico" Corrales, who lived as hard as he fought, died in a mororcycle crash Monday night in Las Vegas.

"He crashed on a motorcycle. It don't look like he made it through this," manager James Prince told ESPN.com as he was arriving on the scene. "He's dead."

Corrales, 29, will be remembered as one of the fiercest fighters of his era, a never-say-die warrior who thrilled legions of fans with several action-packed fights.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    You know, when I started this thread, I really didn't think it'd be filled with so many entries. :(

@};-

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I was at LSU at the same time as Marquis Hill, this is a sad, terrible accident.

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Longtime NASCAR chairman France Jr. dies

Bill France Jr., who transformed NASCAR from a small Southern sport into a billion-dollar conglomerate during his 31 years as chairman, died Monday. He was 74.

He died at his Daytona Beach, Fla., home, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said.

@};-

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Rod Beck: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2914994

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.