R.L. Stine

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I used to read his Fear Street and Goosebumps when I was a kid. Does anyone else think it was ludicrous that he wrote Goosebumps books, which were adapted into episodes for the show, which then were adapted into novelizations?
  2. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'd hardly call him a "writer".
  3. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    I never read those books. They hit big way after I turned 13. I actually liked some of the GoF books though, especially The Nightmare Machine.
  4. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "Does anyone else think it was ludicrous that he wrote Goosebumps books, which were adapted into episodes for the show, which then were adapted into novelizations? "

That is redundant. But then, we have TPM, which was a movie, which was made into a novel, which was made into an unbriged audio book...

TC
  5. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Just curious about Iron Parrot's comment here.
  6. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I read one of his young adult books called Door of Death. Nasty little book. Disgustingly violent. Yuck.

Never was a big fan of him.
  7. Jedi-Rascal Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I used to read the Point Horror series; Stine's books were constantly the best.
  8. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Didn't he write some Choose your own adventure indiana jones books?
  9. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Valiento, that is quite possibly the most confusing sentence(?) I have ever read.
  10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I read the Goosebumps series when I was little, and I really liked the Fear Street novels too.
  11. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    At one point, not anymore, I had the enitre series, and Loved them, even though there was nothing to them and then when I was 12 I moved onto the fear street novles and I must say those were extremlely violent sometimes, and still they were sold as young adult! What age is a young adult exactly 12?13?
    As for the book-show-book, that was just another way to get more money, as were the billion ohter series that R.L Stine writes, which are always about the same thing, slime,demonic pets or some hunted dummy, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there something like 4 "Night of the living dummy" books?
  12. Bogga Jedi Master

star 4
    I read a few of them when I was a kid and they were alright until he had run out of ideas and was simply rehashing everything.

Frankly I highly doubt he wrote half of the books with his name on them. I'd bet money that there were a bunch of ghost-writers who had studied and mastered his simplistic writing style and wrote some of his books. He was pumping those Goosebumps books and their spin-offs so fast that I doubt he could have done them all.
  13. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    I read way too many of those books as a child. How many of those did they churn out a month? Two? Three? The plots were formulaic and unoriginal. (When the main character got scared at the end of chapter one, didn't you always know that it was just their stupid sibling/friend playing a prank on them?) For a while, they did get kids to read for a while. Then the TV show was created and everyone just watched that.
  14. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    By the Force! Valiento has changed his icon!

Somehow I knew that when they made a Katarn icon, he would choose it. :)

As for myself, they removed the Duality ones, so I lost my Darth Oz...::weeps::
  15. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    That is until they give me an indiana jones icon ;).

The duality icons weren't EU. They should be in some kind of Fan Film icon collection.
  16. Palpazzar Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone ever read his adult book Superstitious? It was.... different than I expected.

Did he write any other adult-aged books?
  17. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Yeah, from what I heard, the creator of Duality is currently having "creative differences" with TFN, and wanted it all removed from the site...
  18. wampa Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't like to admit it, but I had all the books when I was little. I was reading Dahl and other good authors, but then the rage hit, and those kriffing books stunted my reading at a 4th grade level for years! Finally one day I found Star Wars, and eventually picked up Lord of the Rings and Dune. Thank the maker I sold those all to make room for my SW books. But now I'm running out of room and have no idea what to do.
  19. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "Just curious about Iron Parrot's comment here."

Let's just say I find his works to be of a very... GODV-ish level.
  20. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ah, thanks for the expilantion Iron Parrot. All I was after, and I think you figured it out.
  21. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!RL Stine!HAHAHAHAHA
  22. Waning Drill Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, I'm really gonna date myself responding to this topic. I stopped reading those before I hit the double digits! :eek:

Something about a killer dummy, a carnivorous sponge, and a giant man-eating hamster...
  23. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Yes, Valiento, he did, and they are every bit as awful as his Goosebumps books.

Was anyone else here amused by the GFFA's own Goosebumps clone, Galaxy of Fear? They're so predictable and formulized, it's unbelievable!

TC
  24. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    As I stated above, I actually liked some of them, though I only read the first 5. Yes, they sure as hell were formulic though.
  25. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    If I have to hear about Zak's stomach relocating itself one more time, I'm going to scream... :)

TC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.