main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R2-185 .......... OPERATIONAL!!!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mandalorian-Warriors, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandalorian-Warriors

Mandalorian-Warriors Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    The famous "R2-185" was started in the year 2003. I made up a few concepts of an R2 unit, I've always wanted my very own R2 unit to boss around. Well, after much thought on this subject, whether or not I could make a lifesize R2 unit, I then decided "Let's do this"...

I've seen lots of people with R2-D2's, so I wanted to be different & go on my own by making a Gun Metal Gray R2 unit (Which matches Jaster perfect), with a white body, some black here/there & red lense.

R2-185 also plays a big role in my expanded story line for my Jaster Mereel attire, he is Jaster's personal droid.. very much like R2-D2, is to Luke.. just that R2-185 has a chip on his shoulders...

It began... Once I received my dome & body body, I then took on this huge project head on! After about close to a year of building up this R2 project, it's complete... FULLY FUNCTIONAL!!! Dome pivets left to right & R2 cruises at a relaxing speed of 3/4 MPH! I also had the idea to install a refrigerator in a secret compartment in the back of R2-185's panels. This baby is a beauty, when I got done completeing R2-185 I brought'em to a local Garrison event.. well, let it be told, first time at an event & the little sucker gets a 5 minute spot on the local news station - with his owner ;)

But enough with the small talk, I now give you; R2-185

http://www.mandalorianwarriors.com/images/props/r2185/complete1

http://www.mandalorianwarriors.com/images/props/r2185/complete2

http://www.mandalorianwarriors.com/images/props/r2185/complete3

http://www.mandalorianwarriors.com/images/props/r2185/complete4

p.s. Working on foot details...

2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Wow... he's a beauty.

You must be so proud (and deservedly so)!

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    That thing's operational! [/obligatory]

Seriously though, is it remote control operated or something? It looks seriously sweet, I must say. Any chance of a video of it in action?

PS. The fridge idea is easily the greatest idea of all time. The only thing better than a fully operational R2 unit is one that serves you beer as well.

4. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    WOW
    Nice Job. I'm thinking of making my own R2 unit at some point as well.
    The fridge idea is great :)

5. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Thats awsome!

How long did it take to create? It looks like an authentic droid from Star Wars. I wonder if R2D2 had a fridge too, he seemed to have everything else? :)

Woulda been funny if Artoo had tossed Luke a beer on Dagobah instead of his lightsaber. :p

6. TR_2066

TR_2066 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    He is total Awesome Jaster!!
    Glad I can say I got to troop with him. You did a MUCH better job on yours that could've ever done on mine!

7. Jinyo

Jinyo Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2004
    That

is

Freaking AWESOME!!!

That thing rocks!
    How is it operated? And what kind of fridge are you planning to add? I thought those things use a lot of power. I have one of those little, portable things that you put in your car for road trips, but it doesn't work that great. It really works best for keeping an object cool that is already cold. It doesn't really cool things very well. But I don't think it uses that much juice.

Great job!

8. Puzzler2000

Puzzler2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2002
    Uh, sounds cool, but your links don't work for me.

9. Mandalorian-Warriors

Dec 8, 2003
    R2-185 is fully operational, he moves at a relaxed speed of 3/4 MPH. However, R2-185 does not do the 2-3-2. More down the road I might add the 2-3-2, but as of right now, he's just perfect! His dome pivets left to right (almost a full 360!), & he keeps up to 3 cans of soda (or whatever) in a secret compartment in the back with a slideing door.

R2-185 also has a VERY loud amp inside that you can hear from a block away! But I never toss it up that loud, (too loud for my taste). I do have some secrets I really can't tell, but I could share some tips on where I got some of the parts I used to make him.

Thanks guys for your great comments (Tony, R2's glad you trooped with him as well ;) you'll be seeing alot more of R2-185 in the near future!

Oh yeah, I'll try & get a video clip of R2 online shortly :D

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    R2-185 is awesome! Great job! :D

11. smuggler1186

smuggler1186 Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2003
    That thing is so pretty, it's making me just a little bit teary-eyed. . .

12. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Yes, where did you get the parts? And how much did this cost all together?

13. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Fantastic Job!!!

14. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    "Wow, your own Astro droid! You're so lucky, Anakin!"

I probably messed that quote up but I'm too lazy to go put in my dvd. lol

I would kill to have my own R2. The color looks damn good, by the way. I really wanna make my own now too.

Does anyone think you could take all the electronics from the little R2 toy that responded to your voice and put them in a full-sized droid? I would imagine the motors would need beefing up, but everything else would work, right?.... guys?....

15. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I don't think taking the circuits from the small toy one would work because the circuit controlls how much power the motors are recieving. Thus, even if you had larger motors, they wouldn't have enough power to work correctly. It'd probably take some seroius reprogramming.

16. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Damn.... I have limited knowledge of electronics. lol

That woulda been so cool though...

17. ISBAgent

ISBAgent Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2003
    I know there was talk of this same subjuct in the R2 Buliders club. So I wouldn't doubt that one of their builders,if not more, has already done it.

18. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    whoa, thats awesome, good work :D

19. Mandalorian-Warriors

Dec 8, 2003
    Tell ya the truth, that crossed my mind once or twice about using the little NASA R2. But my R2 weighs more than 70 pounds & of course the dome with all the electronis inside, that itself weighs more than 10 pounds. So in reality, that little R2 wouldn't be able to take on something so big, like R2-185.

The whole R2 was bought piece by piece & the parts I purchased came from around the world (LITERALLY), just to save a buck or 2. But overall cost would be around $1,000.. talk about saving a buck... But it paid off, it's my own little part of the world ;)

But most of the hardware parts were purchased over at www.AstroMech.net

20. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    that's awesome man! I had a friend of mine make a custom action figure R2 with that same color scheme... :)

21. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    Ê??T?<¢¹ÕóIgnÓÏçü|?'¬rMè¶t3*e¦ÈTç·"º??r?ä+±

a small taste of what I get when I click your links. Pages full of bizarre characters. What is wrong? Why cant I see the images/webpages?

22. McLean

McLean Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    **Applause**

that thing is pretty sweet

you need to get video

good job man

23. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    That's incredible! One of these days I hope I'll have the time (not to mention the resources!) to make one of my own. ;) Congratulations!

-J.

24. Mandalorian-Warriors

Dec 8, 2003
    Antilles01, try now - I have no clue as to why they weren't working before.

Thanks for all the comments everybody, I'm thinking about making another... but that's a bit down the road, we'll have to see bout that ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.