main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT R2 & 3PO in the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CrashTheHedgehog100

CrashTheHedgehog100 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
    I thought C-3PO being created by Vader was pretty pointless because it didn't add anything to the story. I sort of liked how we were shown how R2 was good in battle and we were shown that he was around before The Clone Wars, because I think most of us would have just came up with the assumption that he was created for them. Although, it does feel like they were just put in to keep some more 'continuity', seeing as there would have only been two characters that were in the entire saga otherwise.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Golden-Rod's maker was not Darth Vader. He just reassembled all the mismatched parts.:p

CrashTheHedgehog100 likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Did not bother me one bit, i like 3PO and a huge fan of R2 D2

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Did u like his booster rockets?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He set 2 Super Battle Droids on fire! Of course it was cool!

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I liked it. sort of gives it a 'it's a small world' feel to it. there's this big galaxy, but they're in all of them, Jabba is around, the Fett's even Tarkin for a moment in ep III. R2 was his usual cool, saving the day self. C 3PO didn't always have much to do.

Pensive Padme likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Except get blown apart all the time [face_laugh]

8. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    All the time = once

9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I can understand a lot of the points made so far against the ways they appeared in the PT, but I must confess that none of those points occurred to me when actually watching the films--I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them in each scene they were in. And yes, I'm one of those who loved R2's rocket boosters :p My delight in watching him use them prevented me from being bothered by the fact that he didn't seem to have them (or at least use them) in the OT. I chalk it up to GL's own delight in having more special effects capabilities to work with in the later-made films, so the lack of an exact "match up" in that regard is just not a problem for me personally.

10. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I loved R2's introduction in the Phantom Menace

11. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    No no no, Anakin built him, but he just happens to look and behave like every other protocol droid widely used throughout the galaxy including one that's laying around in Watto's showroom. And his slave mom needed help with translation, etiquette, and protocol, not the dishes.
    [​IMG]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Now this, is Star Wars...

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  13. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    I didn't like them in the PT. Why? R2 and 3PO are the only droids in Star Wars that have been given personalities that connect with the audience (and major roles). I think the PT was the PERFECT opportunity to actually make couple of different droid sidekicks with their own new personalities. The assassin droid from Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind as something awesome done with a droid....that they really haven't done since R2 and 3PO. Also, Dash Rendar's droid sidekick was pretty cool in Shadows of the Empire...something like that, a different droid with a different voice, would have been great.

Should have been different droids for the different time period.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    If they were going to go this route, it would have made more sense for 3PO to have been Padme's and R2 to be the one that was built by Anakin. Just saying.........

15. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013

Why would Anakin build an astromech droid for his mother?

Also, to the person above this post, are you serious? You are actually upset there weren't new droid main characters? Why would anyone want to watch that?

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I would have had him make it for himself as a hobby, and a protocol droid makes more sense for a world leader than for a slave woman.

And why do our heroes meet Watto in the first place? Looking for space ship parts. So Watto having the parts laying around for an astrodroid makes a lot more sense than having the parts for a protocol droid

It just seems more logical to switch those places to me

17. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm not THAT upset about it, as I do find R2 and 3PO neat and likable and all. But I think anyone would want to see it for the same reason they might have liked them in A New Hope for the first time. We have all these droids in the universe, and it had to be R2 and 3PO there? They were only there because fans know them, and GL was banking on that.

Like I said, was just a missed opporunity for some cool new droids, that aren't just brainless battle-bots or snickering pit droids.

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I tend to agree. It makes the universe of theirs smaller.

19. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

I think it would have been a missed opportunity not to include them. The droids are done, we get the smart droid, and the comic relief droid, we have no need for more because they aren't people - it serves no purpose. We instead get to flesh out the droids we knew in the OT, which is really the whole point of the PT: back story.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah, flesh them out...like erasing 3PO's memory? Nice character development.... :D

21. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

Haha, you're grasping at straws now. If you don't think C3PO was fleshed out in the PT... then you are truly lost.

22. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Erasing his memory negates any experiences he had before that, therefor he is basically a new droid in A New Hope, and anyone who knew him in PT is either dead or does not recognize him (as others have mentioned). This is not fleshing out a character. You could say as much about R2 maybe, as he was definitely more active and part of the action. But 3PO? He is JUST there in the PT. He quips a line every now and then, walks around and...yeah sorry, I didn't like him there.

I'm not trying to argue that 3PO is in any way a bad character or unlikable. I'm simply saying his presence never made much of a difference in the PT. I can't think of one way he advanced the plot. He never even translated anything at any point...

CrashTheHedgehog100 likes this.
  23. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Also I'd like to add...all those scenes in the OT where 3PO actually translates what R2 is saying? He doesn't even do THAT in the PT. It's almost like people in the PT actually know what R2 is saying instead.

24. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    I think that they tie the 2 trilogy's together. Someone you can refer to from another era. Besides Obi Wan, they are the only ones in all the movies + The Clone Wars.

25. dsematsu

Jun 6, 2013

He is a droid - not a sentient life-form. We see how he was created and that his relation to the Skywalkers goes way back - they went through some epic moments together. This is fleshing out a character as deep as a droid. It was a fun thing to include C3PO, fan service if you will. I'm not sure why you think he needs to play such an epic part? Can't it just be a cool thing to include him?