main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT R2 and 3PO in the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Should R2-D2 and C-3PO have been in the PT?

1. Yes. It is perfect as is.

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Yes, but they should not have featured as prominently.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I don't mind either way.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Maybe just a brief cameo at some point, but nothing more.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Not at all.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. Other opinion (please explain in post)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    A rather interesting thing I often see as criticism is that the inclusion of the droids was "shameless fanservice" or "unnecessary attempt to tie the trilogies together"

However, as far back as 1977, I believe even then GL said that those two would be the only characters to appear across the entire saga. Rather interesting, combining these two potential sentiments

Personally, I'm very glad to have both in the PT. They add a lot of humour and symbolism/poetry, and they of course do fulfill the intent of their inclusion across the saga. Couldn't imagine the PT without them

What are the thoughts of you, fellow JCFers? How did you feel about it?

CIS Droid, HevyDevy and Alienware like this.
  2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's always difficult, when making a sequel/follow-up, to use all the characters of the original story in a way that they don't become useless. Anthony Daniels thought that 3PO had nothing to do in Empire and requested a better use for Jedi, for example.

Lucas always had the idea to use the droids (his favourite characters) in all the movies, but it was just an idea. Obviously, the droids didn't have a natural place in the PT, since unlike the OT, there isn't a single group of heroes in which they belong. When writting ROTS, the droids weren't even part of the rough draft, and Lucas had to find ways to include them.

Personally, I'm glad they're part of the PT of course. I think R2 is probably better integrated in the story. In Episode I R2 is indeed part of the leading group, whereas C3PO has a cameo, basically. In Episode II R2 appears through the movie, but his role is rather secondary (he literally disappears during the Naboo sequence and is left behind in Tatooine), while C3PO doesn't appear until quite late. In Episode III R2 gets the spotlight during the opening act, but then disappears into the background, along with C3PO, until the very end of the movie, in which they serve as a transition to Episode IV. The fact that the droids serve as a transition between trilogies is perhaps the best use of the droids indeed.

It would be interesting, however, to hear about reactions from viewers who what the PT first: what do they think about this droids which seem sort of important but really aren't?

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never had a problem with it, mainly since I've known for a long time that he had planned for both droids to be in the films. Not sure why it bothered some people.

4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    C3-PO should appear just in ROTS, as Bail Organa's droid.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was gonna say a lot of things, but oierem said it first, and much better than I would have! =D=

I love the droids, and I'm very happy they were in the films. The only thing I could have lived without was the C-3PO part on Geonosis. I voted "perfect as is", because that was the answer closest to what I think, even though "perfect" isn't the word I would choose.

SateleNovelist11 and oierem like this.
  6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    We see the story through R2 and C3PO's eyes significantly more in the OT than the PT. Considering they're the iconic comic duo of the Star Wars universe, this difference shows the two trilogies have different tones.

Also, technically Obi-Wan is in all six films because he is there as a force ghost in TESB and ROTJ.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It was pretty cool seeing both in the PT but R2 probably should have been the only one in the PT.

Anticonformity likes this.
  8. haleyorgana

haleyorgana Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2015
    i think it bothered people because it made the galaxy seem smaller than it is. i think c3po & r2d2 being in the prequels is fine, imo. wouldnt be star wars without them

sarlaccsaurs-rex, Hanyou and jc1138 like this.
  9. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I've thought a lot about the droids, and wondered if it "makes the galaxy smaller" to have them in I-VI. I've concluded that, to me, no it doesn't. The droids are in a way like family members (or almost, as weird as it may sound, pets) to Anakin and Padme in I, II, and III, and how they get passed along from Bail, make it to Luke and so on isn't that much a leap. Yes, it's unlikely that Leia would just happen to chose that particular droid to store the plans in, but he's a pretty exceptional little droid, after all, and it's not like there were a bunch of other astromechs on the Tantive 4 at the time.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I can't imagine a Star Wars saga movie without them. Both were integrated well.

As an aside: I recently re-watched the prequels, it's interesting how many times someone says: "stay with the ship R2." It happens a couple times in AOTC and ROTS.

jc1138 and Pain and Suffering like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It would have lessened the Saga for them to not be included in the PT imo.
    Another droid would have been nice but in a Family Saga like this, R2 and C-3PO should be included.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I was actually fine with them in the PT. Some cringe worthy C-3PO lines in AOTC aside, I always thought it was neat how they basically seen it all.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Though C-3PO doesn't remember it.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    True, though I guess I was more thinking about R2 when replying.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Their presence through the whole Saga actually improves the scene in which R2 is telling their story to the Ewoks.

Force Smuggler and DBPirate like this.
  16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I enjoyed the droids presence in the PT (besides as others have said before me, some of Threepio's AOTC puns seemed out of place).

The way each of the four Skywalkers have owned the droids is a significant bit of symbolism. Anakin and Padme kind of "swap" the droids going from TPM to ROTS.
    R2 starts the saga as a member of Padme's royal crew, and by the end of the PT she has given him to Anakin as a wedding present. 3PO is mostly constructed by Anakin early on, and after rejoining Anakin and Padme on their trip to Tatooine, and witnessing their marriage along with R2, ends up serving at Padme's apartment by ROTS.
    Both droids go to Bail Organa at the conclusion of the trilogy.
    Due to Leia's desperation at the start of ANH, R2 and 3PO (with the deathstar plans) go from her service to Tatooine where Luke (I think through sheer will of the force) becomes their legal owner. Luke becomes close to R2 in a similar fashion to his father.

I really love this progression, and R2's persistence in his ANH journey is a cool bit of continuity, despite some forgivable inconsistencies due to bits of Obi-Wan's dialogue.

One of my favourite details in ROTS is the contrasting two times Anakin says this to R2.

First on the Invisible Hand... "Artoo, go back. I need you to stay with the ship." Warmly as a friend.

When Anakin/Vader visits Padme at her apartment after the Temple raid, R2 beeps his concerns on the current climate and his worries regarding Anakin to 3PO, to which Threepio can only reassure him "Well, he is under a lot of stress R2".

Later when Vader arrives on Mustafar, he coldly states "Artoo. Stay with the ship." which seems to be more about Vader not wanting R2 to witness what he was about to do. R2 makes a short series of beeps, which I can only interpret as "something isn't right" and bare recognition of his Master.

Finally, after the duel R2 seemingly on instinct follows Obi-Wan and Threepio onto Padme's ship. It's like he has forgotten Anakin's instructions to wait, kind of a spooky reminder that Anakin is gone, even to Artoo.

Queen Apailana likes this.
  17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    R2 is the most consistent character of the complete saga. He is the healer character of the story. Saved the day many times. 3POs character in 3 4 & 5 are great. Hate him in 2 though. In 1 he seems a lil off, like its not the same character. I guess 6 matches 3 4 and 5, but there is too much 3PO in 6. I didnt mind them showing up in the PT and I am glad they separate them from time to time in the films.

18. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Artoo made a difference in the PT. You can see why he's there - he contributes. Threepio does nothing and his existence is entirely unwarranted from a story POV.

I don't mind him being there in principle if there's a good reason other than to make people people go "hey look! it's threepio!"

19. Hanyou

Hanyou Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2005
    R2 was fine.

Threepio didn't seem to add anything and I didn't like that Anakin built him. I prefer the idea that he's just a regular protocol droid who ended up on a grand adventure, and nothing about the movies other than that plot point seems to say otherwise. I think having him start his journey at the the Lars homestead adds another unbelievable but ultimately unnecessary coincidence to a story littered with necessary coincidences. Never liked it, and the mental hoops I have to jump through to justify it are unpleasant.

I'll add that his little side-story in Attack of the Clones was far more ridiculous to me than Jar Jar's antics in Episode I, which never bothered me that much.

d_arblay likes this.
  20. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    GL always said we were being told the Saga through the eyes of C3-P0, and R2-D2, so they are essential to the continuation of the Saga. I like that memory wipe at the end of ROTS as there is a gap between the PT and OT.

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I think 3P0 would have been better if he was a protocol droid for the temple that was passed down from Qui-Gon, to Obi-Wan, to Anakin, and then eventually Anakin gave him to Padme, also he should have never been gold while Anakin was still good/ while 3P0 was still around Anakin. That way it wouldn't be as jarring that Vader does not recognize him.

R2 is just fine imo.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i liked it. R2 became even more a hero :)

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would have had Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon meet 3PO and R2 on the Trade Federation ship in the beginning of TPM. That would fit the original Star Wars treatment (where 3PO and R2 are introduced on an Imperial ship) and it would explain why the saga begins where it does.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I've always thought of R2 as the puppy of Star Wars. :p

CIS Droid and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's a good idea.

darklordoftech likes this.