main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R2 and 3PO...(TUF spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    " Do you really believe that life will remain as unpredictable as ever and that our adventures will continue ? I hope so , my little friend, even if they don't measure up to the dventures we've had and even if the are lacking a dash of the old enchantment."

R2-D2 made a razzing sound

" What do you mean,I used to say that all the time ? Just what are you going on about ?" C3PO paused the said. ' I don't mind at all that it's a long story. After all Artoo, we have nothing but time...."

Not only is that a great conversation between two old friends but I think it reveals that 3PO had his memory wiped and R2 didn't from the time of EP III. What do you think ?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that Luceno got their characters dead on.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Hmm, I didn't think about that. R2-D2 does seem to know a lot more about what's going on than everyone else.

4. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    I think that Luceno got their characters dead on.

He got close. That line, though, he made Threepio a bit too prissy. "My little friend"? No thanks.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    He got close. That line, though, he made Threepio a bit too prissy. "My little friend"? No thanks.

Obi-Wan said the same once...

6. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    And from Obi-Wan, it works as a dimunitive (which, despite the connotations, isn't a negative thing). But it just doesn't sound like the kind of thing that Threepio would say to me--I can't hear it in Anthony Daniels' voice.

(I tend to know when an author has written a character right when I can "hear" the associated actor in my head, saying those lines. I don't get it, I just listen. :))

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He says it in AOTC.

8. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I always got the impression R2 knew a lot more than he was letting on.

Which makes no sense, because you think he would clue Lukein occasionally. Maybe he's just malicious.

9. Jedi-Yoichi

Jedi-Yoichi Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2003
    Yep if R2 suddenly decides to fess up all he knows bout the 'past' then I think luke and leia would be a trifle p****d off with the old walking dustbin

10. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    We can say pissed, I think.

But yeah...they probably wouldn't be too happy, after all the crap they've gone through.

11. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Maybe there is a code word that would let R2 reveal all. I think there is something about that in the radio drama of ANH before Leia's ship gets boarded. Antilies give him the code I think.

I hope somewhere down the line R2 get to unload his history. Even the stuff before Padme has him.

So do we agree that R2's memory is intact ?

12. JayCee

JayCee Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2003
    R2 will be the post-NJO-villain.

>:)

13. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, he's fine.

He's probably a little loopy from all the semi-wipes he's had though.

14. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    What is a semi-wipe ?

15. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Well, I know he's had a few from some different books, but the most recent example I can think of is in Enemy Lines.

Han brought him in for a memory wipe type thingy, and they actually did it, or so the text said.

16. JayCee

JayCee Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2003
    Did he? o_O

17. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    I don't think that is a wipe. Maybe more like a hard drive cleaning or compressing of files or something. I certainly don't think they would wipe anything important. I do remember Han threatening 3PO with a full wipe and 3PO thinks that is something akin to death.

I think R2's memory is intact.

18. JudroBathens

JudroBathens Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    I agree. I've always imagined that to be the case anyhow; it'd allow a certain continuity for GL's idea that "the whole story is from the droids' point of view" which would be lost if Artoo had been wiped.

OTOH, you'd have to wipe Threepio. Otherwise, he'd have blabbed everything that happened in the prequels, and Luke and Leia would have been snapped up and living with Uncle Palpy like five minutes after the end of EpIII. ;)

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Did that wipe even go through? The agent entered the room moments after Han left. . .

R2 will be the post-NJO-villain

Don't forget to mention that Artoo will be the only one able to overthrow the Republic and set up a government where droids reign supreme.

I never thought about those lines that way, but now that you point it out. It does seem like Artoo knows at least some stuff that Threepio is unaware of prior to ANH.

20. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Wait wait wait. Threepio likes adventure now?

Man, I really gotta read this NJO stuff.

21. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    3Po may not seek adventure but he seems to come through in the end....some how.

Does any one think that R2 will be able to tell his story to Luke, Leia or......little Ben?

22. PunishingOne

PunishingOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    That would be a great book to read. The Death Of R2-D2, where he he retells the whole history to Ben and the other Jedi.

23. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Yeah, they should have a book just about R2. It would be so cool.

24. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    How old is R2 ? A story about his back life may be as interesting as Palps. Well no, but it would be a fun read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.