main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R2 (connecting the pt to the ot to the njo)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NJOfan215, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Should there be an EU source that has R2 tell luke and company what went on during the clone wars? If so what do you think it should be, and how would you like to see it happen. Also would you like to see it happen in some way that doesn't involved R2?

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The fundamental question here is if Artoo sees that as his job. Old in experience Artoo is, and a philosopher he is not. As I see it Artoo works the job he has in front of him.

Look at ESB, after being rebuffed by C-3PO he doesn't try and tell anyone about the hyperdrive, he just fixes it. Now certainly the information is both critical and time critical but instead of relaying it he does it himself.

If he felt no need to make sure that sort of informaiton was made available why would he feel any pressing need to act as the orator for the dead? To tell the story of the PT to the new generation? Especially when they've never asked him?

3. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    That?s certainly how I interpreted it, farraday. I don?t know if his mind got wiped between RotS and ANH, but even if it weren?t, he doesn?t seem like the type who?d just go jabbering on about history.

4. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Didn't R2 mention the days of chivalry n TUF? And 3PO says it was nonsense, what's he talking about?

Here it is:

"Do you really believe that life will remain as unpredicatable as ever and that our adventures will continue? I hope so, my little friend, even if they don't quite measure up to the adventures we've had, and even if they are lacking the dash of the old enchantment."

R2-D2 made a razzing sound.

"What do you mean, I used t say that all the time? Just what are you going on about?" C-3PO paused and then said, "I don't mind at all that's it's a long story. After all R-2, wehave nothing but time..."

5. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I agree that r2 isn't going to start blabbing on and on about this, but i'm trying to think up believable ways that it would happen. So far the only decent thing that i can think of is to have luke or some one come across an old news clip with anakin and r2 in it, and have ask r2 about it. Unfotunitly that isn't much of a plot.

6. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    I think maybe R2 can't reveal the information because of all the tinkering Anakin did to him to keep his marriage a secret. It may be that the only way to get the info would be to access R2's memory and pry it out which he would likely try to prevent.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    And people accuse GL of writing cringeworthy dialogue.

Geez thats bad.

8. Colt 45

Colt 45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2000
    Don't forget about Artoo being nearly destroyed by Vader in ANH. That could be a plausible reason for an unintentional memory wipe.

9. sheep21

sheep21 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 27, 2004
    didnt that just fry his dome, killing his photceptor and proccessor?

wouldnt his memorey be protectdd from energy surges? he ias an stromech after all and they work with star ships, which can be volitile, i imagine there wuld be a capacitator installed around his memory to protect it as standard, that probably could have soaked up alot of the laser blast from vader.

10. Shiandrai

Shiandrai Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2005
    I think I read somewhere that R2 type droids have there memories erased every 6 months. Luke likes R2 to remember things so he doesn't erase his memory but Artilles might have erased it.

But I also jumped at the idea of the fact that R2 could no everything.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Strict Del Rey formatting will ensure Artoo is spelled R2-D2 every single time.

I'll give Dark Rendezvous one thing: it's the only book that doesn't.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    *shrugs* IIRC, it's mentioned in HTTE that R2 hasn't gotten a standardized memory wipe in quite awhile.

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Lucas has mused (in the Making of RotS book, IIRC) that perhaps Artoo would relate the story of the Skywalkers to a shaman of the Whills a hundred years after the events of the movies.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's mentioned in the RotS Visual Dictionary that 'one day R2 will surprise everyone with his knowledge' or something similar.

Here we go: 'Many underestimate R2-D2's retention powers, which will one day amaze the galaxy'. Also, 'Only R2-D2 will have full access to their saddest memories'. Also: 'R2-D2's talent for never revealing more than he has to may be due to Anakin's modifications.'

Though their first part may be referring to the DS plans.

15. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    perhaps luceno will write a novel were r2 tell everyone what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.