main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga R2-D2 Or C-3PO

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rolf Larsen, Apr 5, 2014.

?

R2-D2 Or C-3PO

1. R2-D2

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. C-3PO

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    Who do you prefer?

2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    They are great as a pair, but if choosing just one, I'd definitely go with R2. In fact I think the difference is that I enjoy every scene R2 is in (with or without Threepio) but I enjoy Threepio the most when he's interacting with R2.

3. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Though they are both great, especially in tandem, I also picked R2. I felt like they used a bit too much of 3PO in AotC and TESB.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    R2 has guts. 3P0 is a cowardly whining annoyance with an occasional redeeming funny line.

5. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    R2 is much better than 3PO

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Where are all the people demanding 'both' as an option?! :p

I like both of these characters very much, but I have to pick R2 on the grounds of sheer utility.

Pensivia and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't split them, they are a pair.

C3PO is not a coward. He does his function superbly, he's simply not a mech or warrior that doesn't mean he's a coward.

8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    R2 all the way. When I was a kid, I put him on my Xmas list. Meaning the REAL droid lol. My parents had to do some explaining to me at 7 why it could not be done....

Darkslayer and Grievousdude like this.
  9. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
  10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
  11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    C3PO. Just because he can talk, he is the funnier of the two, IMO.

12. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    If we're just looking at it from a perspective of who was more useful in the movies, then I would have to go with R2. Just watch the PT movies one day and see how easy he makes everything for the Jedi that are on their mission. Without R2, there would be so many locked doors and technical problems going on that missions would take weeks to complete.

They needed R2 more than they needed 3-PO.

13. geniusofmozart

geniusofmozart Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2014
    R2 is more valuable while C-3PO can be stubborn. Both are great characters, however I'd choose R2.

14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Love both of them, but ultimately had to go with R, he's more useful in situatuions. Threepio is just as great and funny though. Wouldn't be Star Wars without them.

15. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    R2. He's a great character.

16. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I thought they went too far with C-3PO in AOTC.

DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  17. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I didn't mind it. I was more upset over R2s rocket legs :rolleyes:

18. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Threepio. He can easily be the "shell" for the viewers who are uncomfortable in the SW universe. He can express their hesitation, confusion, and frustration at being placed far outside their comfort zone.

19. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Artoo. He knows how to get things done. There's that great Rifftrax moment during the Battle of Endor when Han Solo yells "Come on! Come on!" at Artoo to get him to unlock the shield bunker doors. "Sure, yell at the one character who actually gets something done."

20. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    R2D2. But I really like them both as a unity. After all they counterpart each other.

21. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    R2 and the 3PO form a symbiotic circle. What one of them does will always affect the other. You must understand this.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm going to go with R2.

probably the biggest reason is the fact that he never had his mind wiped throughout the entire saga to date (and probably the ST as well). Plus he is the only one character who truly knows everything that's going on as well as having experienced all of it...

Also I like his sense of optimism in tough situations, sense of humor, and ability to get out of tough situations on his own.

C-3PO simply does too much whining for my taste. The only thing I like about him is the fact that he can speak so many different languages. His only entertaining moment IMO was when his head was put on a battle droid's body, and what resulted from that…

23. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Ah, C-3PO... who, despite his vast knowledge, remains ever curious ("Ooh, they've encased him in carbonite! He should be quite well protected... if he survived the freezing process, that is.") and full of wonder ("I never knew I had it in me.") Who is true to himself ("It's against my programming to impersonate a deity.") even at the height of conflict ("At least you're still in one piece. Look what's happened to me!") Who is courteous ("Shutting up, sir.") and doggedly generous in the face of ingratitude (Goldenrod vs. Solo). Underneath the hauteur, he is quite touchingly vulnerable ("Hang on tight, Artoo. You've got to come back. You wouldn't want my life to get boring, would you?"); an embodiment of that feel-the-fear-and-do-it-anyway kind of courage ("I'm going to regret this.")

Dear Threepio. I enjoy him so.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I honestly don't know.