Det, MI R2 Detroit

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by MSWCC, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSWCC Jedi Knight

Anyone know how to get in touch with anyone from this group?

Anyone know how to get to their web site?

I'm interested in finding more Star Wars fans in the Detroit area, this is the FanForce club but I can't find anything or anyone.

Thanks for the help.
  2. mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA

star 4
    I would tell you to PM lavagrrrl (she's the CR for these parts) but she hasn't been online for 2 months.

She DOES have a yahoo email in her profile - maybe you can shoot her an email.
  3. MSWCC Jedi Knight

I've PM'ed a couple people and got a response from Earwen_Lightrider (Natalie). She is working to find connections and what is going on with the R2 Detroit group as well. Thanks for the info.
  4. MSWCC Jedi Knight

Just tried doing a lookup on the domain "r2-detroit.com" and all info is listed as private. So... can find any connection there to getting in touch with this group.

There is a myspace page for the group and I've sent them an email there. Only prob is no one has logged into the page since Feb last year (2007). I've also got an outstanding friend request with them from myspace.

Looks like they have all just vanished.
  5. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Some of us are still here....I was Chapter rep for a few years and have since lost touch with group members. I think with a little bit of prodding we might be able to drum up some interest.
  6. mercsailor Force Ghost

star 2
    I'd be happy to help with any prodding, as I always thought you were a pretty cool group to hang out with, even if I didn't hang out all that much.
  7. MSWCC Jedi Knight

Glad to see someone is still around. To be honest, here is what I'm doing. I'm trying to get more interest in Star Wars here in the Metro Detroit area. All of a sudden things are picking up again with the release of new figures, the movie coming to the theater and such. I wanted to connect with the group because I've seen them in the past. I'm part of another group that's looking to grow so I came here.

Let's get this board boomin' and see where it goes from there!!

Thanks.
  8. MSWCC Jedi Knight

One other thing for ya. What's up with the r2-detroit web site? It's password protected. Saw you had it in your sig so I tried visiting.

Thanks.
  9. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Not quite sure, maybe the domain has elapsed....

There wasn't much on it after Episode III anyway. Guess I should lose the link in my sig!
  10. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    I have no idea what's up with the site either, but the domain expiring is pretty likely. As for the Myspace, I had the user name/password for that but I didn't memorize it. I'll have to go through my e-mail archives and see if I can find it again.

Anyways, there wasn't just one issue that led up to this. There was a limit to what our group could do in the community, as most events are in the 501st/Rebel Legion's purview. Organizers of events and such want constumers, not generic fans. :p So that ends up hurting; a lot of the things that the active fanforce groups do end up being done by the 501st/Rebel Legion. There was also the general malaise we all expected to hit after Episode 3. With no more movies on the horizon, it seemed like a really slow time was coming. What would there be to discuss? Now granted we have the live-action and new animated series coming out, and there's always new figures for collections. But our collecting leader, Robert, had disappeared way before inactivity started to creep in here. The rest of us are more casual collectors, if you will, and not hardcore like he is. Then there was just apathy to the few activities we did set up - poor turnout for gaming nights, absolutely no response on our anniversary weekend, etc etc. And finally, there's always been very poor recruiting. It seems as though there's a lot of Star Wars fans in the area, but none of them ever want to show up to a fan club. I mean just look at the crowds at Motor City Comic Con, and how many people hover around the 501st's area. There's plenty of Star Wars interest, but not enough "joining a group" interest...or if they do feel the itch, they're costumers and thus join the 501st or Rebel Legion.

So what we'll need is to find things for the group itself to do, find ways to keep interest up, and somehow get a good recruiting spree going. There's also the little matter of location, unless we want to just go back to Border's in Novi once again. For now, if Todd and Christine are still around, maybe we want to try and round up a meeting to help plan all this out?

I'm also gonna resurrect an old thread idea, the "get to know each other" thing, both as way for people to post and as a way to see where everyone lives at, so we can find some kind of central location. Also what happened to the swank R2-Detroit image we had on the side and on top of the board here? Do inactive forums not get custom layouts anymore or what's up with that?
  11. MSWCC Jedi Knight

You hit a lot of good points. We had similar issues with the MSWCC and the email list we use. Things died down a lot. We are also in the middle of a reorg there to get things back up and runnin. That is why I came to the boards, looking for new blood to bring into our group. Looking for ideas and such. I've also made contact with clubs from other cities/states and for ideas and support of each others groups.

I say lets see what we can get going here again for sure. I think we've got a good start goin' now.
  12. JOHNNY_VADER Jedi Padawan

Johnny Vader here. Looking to roll with any Star Wars fans in Detroit. I'm interested in learning how to do the role playing games (hero clix, card game, etc.), costuming (especially Mandalorians), video games, collecting, and forming a Michigan chapter of what the LA Jedi have. Check them out LAjedi.com.
  13. MSWCC Jedi Knight

Welcome to TFN. There are several ways to connect with your interest. Here, a few of us are trying to get this section of the fan boards back up and rockin with detail and such.

There is also a collectors club that I am part of (www.mswcc.com) and we help each other find figures and things like that. Check the web site for more detail.

The 501st is the costuming group. There is a local garrison here in MI and you can connect with them.

I checked out that lajedi site. Don't know if anything like that exist in the Detroit area. Good luck with getting that going. Once you get things started let me know and I'll pass the details on to the MSWCC in case anyone is interested. If you need help setting up a site email me and we can talk.

Again, welcome to the boards.
  14. CTATigger Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I happened to click on this old link instead of trying to go through the R2Detroit page Susie set up and VOILA! I was pretty frustrated at being locked out and thought someone had purposefully totally removed the group.
    Todd and I thought all you R2 people had just taken the first shuttle out to Tattooine or something!
    Gee, Qonas, Scooby--we miss you guys! What is to stop us from getting together at our house for a game night? Or yours, Scooby?
    We got more seating for the living room! (Just bought a new loveseat, so now we've got comfortable seating for a bigger gathering) Eventually we are going to get the basement excavated from all the baby stuff we've got stored and can shoot pool, throw darts and play air hockey down there.
    Do you all want to try a get together for the Clone Wars premiere?I don't buy the apathy thing...I mean I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and remained so through the gaps in the movies. We all have other interests in common too.
    Let's try to figure something out to get together again!
    You can all always email me at chrisrhood at aol too.
  15. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you mean for the website? Which old link then?

I searched high and low for the Myspace page's information, but I don't have it anymore. Both Excite and my Oakland account went through "interface upgrades" that basically amounted to most of my archives being deleted and my computer being slowed down when I check my e-mail.

Anyways, as for the inactivity, I've never been a huge social butterfly myself. I rarely use the phone and call people so if activity here dies, I kinda get out of touch.
  16. MSWCC Jedi Knight

the domain isn't expired yet. All of the contact info is "private" so I can't see who "owns" it or has control of it. It looks like it will expire before the end of the year though, if it's not reordered.
  17. CTATigger Jedi Knight

star 1
    The site was maintained by Susie and Jon Leopold, who are the chapter reps for R2Detroit, but have not been very active due to some health issues and other commmitments.
    Perhaps if someone has a current contact for Susie and Jon they could ask about the website.
  18. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for the confusion about things. Mike summed up what has happened pretty well, so I don't need to add to things.

The Web site is not coming back. It spent over a year and a half being the hosting site for the banner images and nothing else. A former member had been paying all the costs for the site and there just didn't seem to be a reason for us to keep it going when no one went there.

I will have to dig up the myspace info as well. I don't even go to my own myspace page anymore, so I have no idea what's going on.

I'd be happy to hand off leadership to someone else. My back problems just keep escalating. I've taken myself off the narcotic painkillers as I couldn't concentrate on anything anymore. Because of that, I'm in more pain than ever. I have a new doctor and we're starting from the beginning with new MRIs and physical therapy and all that not-so-fun stuff.

Susie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.