main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT r2d2 OP

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Alessandro Sanfilippo, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    r2d2 is cool, and one of the most iconic robots on the franchise. He was awsome on the CT making normal robotish stuff. But on the PT he was OP specialy episode 3.

COme on how can he kill far superior COMBAT robots.?

2. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Welcome to the boards Alessandro.

I do not think destroying the Super Battle Droids was intended to demonstrate how poweful he is but merely to add some comic moments to the opening sequence to the film. I think the destruction of the Super Battle Droids was amusing for some people and that is all this part of his story was meant to convey. There is alot of suspension of belief in all the SW films because it is meant to be a story that takes place 'a long time ago in a galaxy far far away'. It combines common mythical elements in the unsual circumstance of a science fiction to tell a fast paced but meaningful story. Within it a funny moments and R2 and 3PO are consistent comedic characters throughout the Saga.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If R2 had beaten the battledroids in a a toe-to-toe slugfest, that would be totally wrong. But he didn't do that; he outsmarted his opponents, which is cool.

Alexrd likes this.
  4. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Hi WatTamborWoo, I mean, yeah it was funny. I found it very fun when I was at the cinema. But I have always thought that comic relief parts shouldnt directly have consecuences with the main chacrters actions. For example When Jar Jar was fighting the droid army, he killed several droids doing silly stuff, but in the end they got beaten and didnt cause and effect on the story. Same for C3PO on Episode 2 when the are on Genosis I think he also kills some droids making silly stuffs but also it doesnt cause a effect on the story.

But r2d2 actions by killing those droid Helps directly Obiwan and Anakin. If R2D2 helps by hacking computers, activatinf doors and elevators thats ok cuz he is a robot, but if he helps the protagonist by killing droids, I think thats make him OP

Also sorry for Grammar

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Before the Dark Times, all of his gadgets were still under warranty, so everything was in good working order. Plus, since he's R2, battle droids are no match for THAT stupid smart little astromech. :p And welcome to the boards!

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    R2 is badass

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Gray_Jedi R

Gray_Jedi R Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    In the beginning Artoo was just an astromech droid of Naboo, a planet famous in the galaxy for the quality its droids. He saved the life of queen Amidala and her ship, so she "adopted" him in return.

However, after her wedding, Padme gives R2 to Anakin as present. Anakin is a genious with any kind of machine, and he implement several improvements and programs in the droid, to the point the little astromech seems to have a personality of its own. (See, tripeo)

It's because of this, that R2 develops a very original thinking, able to overcome the separatist combat robots and other enemies. Even Obi-Wan have to recognize grudgingly that artoo is unique in his kind. XD

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    While that's an interesting headcanon, R2 displays smarts during the repair of the ship in TPM, and nearly every portrayal of R2 units in anything star wars related has them as intelligent enough to have a conversation with. Is this said in anything? While it's true it doesn't make too much sense that something designed simply to provide maintenance would be imbued with such A.I, there are weirder things in Star Wars.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  10. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Considering that the wedding happens after R2's flight and heroics on Geonosis, which is arguably the biggest example of R2 performing outside his function (rescuing senators from molten ore is pretty far from fixing ships), I have to disagree with that there canon source on this one. He simply displays too much intelligence before the time listed as when he gained it.

11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    The Super Battle Droids overconfidence was their weakness. :)

Sarge likes this.
  12. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    R2 is thaa maaaa...Robot.