main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That is so immensely stupid of them. And what makes them speak for all "Black Lives Matter" protesters, since when was it an official national organization?

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That makes it alllllll OK, Bill. [face_plain]

Jedi Merkurian , Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  4. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    you could also sayher husband also took an oath to defend a document written by slave owners. What's the point in making those statements?

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

To remind people of the legacy that we all deal with, and that those of us who are white are implicated in. It doesn't ever go away, or dissipate, or anything else. We may better ourselves, but our past cannot be forgotten.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I propose Bill becomes my slave for the next thirty years, so he can be sure it's all good. I will of course, provide him a roof over his head, and food. Of course, I'll have to whip him, should he get out of line. His wife will also have to be made available to me in whatever capacity I desire. Bah, divorced.

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The point in making either of those statements is that to do so is being a slavery apologist; that is to say that you're defending the practice of humans claiming ownership over their fellow human beings.

You do know that's wrong, right?

8. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    What are you talking about? Yeah I know slavery is wrong, but Do you expect me to hate Thomas Jefferson?

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    What the actual [censored] are you on about?

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We all wake up every morning in an entire country built by slaves.

I don't feel implicated in anything, and no amount of references to slavery would make me feel otherwise.

Yeah, there's a legacy, but it's not my past, and certainly not my actions. I am not implicated.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

If you're white, you're implicated in it because you (we, in my case) have benefitted enormously from it. The wealth slaves helped create did not vanish, and has remained in our country. You are not personally guilty, but we must be aware of our privilege and the benefits we receive on the backs of others.

12. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    the Democratic party slogan, let's not go back to the past like Trump, But let's look forward with unity.:rolleyes:

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Seek first to understand. Then yes, move forward with unity.

14. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I don't think you have to remind anyone worth anything that slavery was an evil that existed here in the US in the past and must never be allowed in any country ever again.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I reside in a state that just removed the Confederate battle flag from our State House grounds last year.

I respectfully disagree.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Yes, we do need to remind people. Slavery is increasingly whitewashed, and many whites turn away from it, not wanting to experience anything that's difficult to listen to.

https://twitter.com/afamhistfail?lang=en

17. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    But not all slave owners were white. It's it racist to imply that only whites owned slave?

STARBOB likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which is exactly what O'Reilly was doing. Whitewashing slavery.

His comment might as well have come from the Gone With the Wind novel.

Abadacus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You're missing the point, J-Rod. Don't focus on a few exceptions. I know you're the opposite of a big picture person, so it's hard for you to do this. Most people aren't so good at looking at the big picture, much to the frustration of those of us who are heavily weighted toward it.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    white people were the only ethnic group that on a whole benefited from the conditions of slavery in the us. that the narrative of racial difference that allowed those conditions to exist was never adequately dealt with and dispelled is a primary reason for the racial tensions and systemic racism still prevalent to this day. so yeah, we do need to be reminded.

21. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Never dealt with?? We lost over 600,000 soldiers dealing with slavery. More than all the soldiers we lost in all other wars combined!

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What happened to those slaves, J-Rod? The vast majority of them were swept up into Jim Crow. Their descendents have been swept up into mass incarceration. We still haven't reckoned with racism in this country. Individuals have, but not our collective society.

Again, look at the big picture. I know it's hard, but it's absolutely necessary.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In no way does that mean that slavery should be whitewashed today or that the issues surrounding bringing people here against their will and treating them as property should be forgotten. We are not living in a post-racial society.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the narrative of racial difference was never adequately dealt with. seems like whenever i try to talk to you i just end up repeating myself.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    J-Rod

Almost everything you believe about racism is wrong. There's just no other way to put it. It doesn't have to stay that way, but you're going to have to open up to some hard truths about yourself and about our society if you're going to move past it. It can be done, though.