main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Holding a police officer to account for shooting someone is not giving them the chair. If a police officer shoots someone unjustly then they should go to trial just like anyone else and be called to account for their actions. But we know that this isn't happening.

Bringing a disturbing trend of unarmed black people being shot to national attention so that we can solve an injustice is something everyone should be on board with. It makes us safer, it makes police departments more effective. Fixing the problem and making people responsible for their actions is a no brainer.

2. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm fine with bad police officers being given what they deserve. I'm not okay with the movement against police in general.

J-Rod likes this.
  3. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009

That happens all the time in other instances in this thread for the other side of the argument and you have no problem with it.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, that is not the legal statute, but are you defending the legal statute as the absolute "correct" one and saying that we should just shrug our shoulders when an unarmed person was murdered because "oh well, legally the officer CAN so maybe he should"?

Or do you agree with me that change should be made?

I was not making my statement based on what they are legally allowed to do. Jim Crow and slavery were also legal, and if people shrugged at the legality instead of trying to make changes, they would still be legal.

I am basing my statement on what they morally should do.

I don't think anyone has argued against self-defense for a criminal who is pointing a gun at a police officer, but that happened in literally none of the all-too-frequent cases in the past few years.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Was or was not the Boston Tea Party a protest?

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i think i get where you're coming from, but "criminal establishment" is a bit hyperbolic/crackpot sounding as a nickname for the police. we can just call them cops and the ones that murder people can be "killer cops"

8. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm aware that isn't the legal statute. I'm saying that in some instances that the use of deadly force is allowable for the safety of the public and not just the officer, which is something that I felt was being overlooked in your post. And btw, you and I have discussed at length before how someone can still be a threat even if they are unarmed.
    No. I think the training to the applicable scenarios were shooting is justifiable should have more time dedicated to it.

I don't think you can compare Jim Crow or slavery to issues of a felony in progress or a threat to public safety or the safety of another person to protect them from imminent bodily harm.
    Asking an officer to make a moral or ethical decision in probably a good amount of shootings is just ridiculous and puts their lives in more jeopardy that it probably would be at that instant. Morally, they are to enforce the law regardless of color, creed, or nationality.
    I didn't say this, so I think you're conflating what I said with someone else.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was addressing ScruffyLooking with that one.

And the officer shootings recently, with the exception of Michael Brown, were not due to a "felony in progress."

Merk posted a pretty comprehensive list of what black people have been doing when they were shot by police officers in the most recent 30 or so shootings.

And "the officer can't see the suspect's hands" is not a "threat to public safety," especially when the "suspect" was only pulled over for a broken taillight.

In the case of Keith Scott, he was not the person the police were even looking for.

When "threat to public safety" or "threat to the officer's life" can be defined as whatever the hell the officer says it is, we end up with the situation we have now, with guys with broken-down cars being shot because they "look bad."

I do not understand how you expect this problem to be solved if you do not think there should be any policy change in how officers are trained. And you have been reasonable enough not to say anything astronomically stupid like "black people should just start obeying cops/stop committing crimes" after everything that has been posted in this thread, so I'll hear out any other solution you have.

Jedi Merkurian and tom like this.
  10. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I never said black people should stop committing crimes, I said criminals should not commit crimes and it would make the job of the police easier. Why do you continue to misconstrue my words?

J-Rod likes this.
  11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I mentioned that as an example of when force is allowable. Note that I didn't cite specific instances and reasons where officers have used their weapons.
    You know what I mean by a threat to public safety, and it isn't because they "look bad".
    Because it isn't the statute that is the problem. The problem is the person/people doing the enforcement of the law which starts at the beginning of training. The statutes (you know, the laws enforced) are largely fine (except for say our drug laws), and the policy of enforcement towards the populace (as in how they are enforced) is where the issue is. The training in shooting scenarios needs to be more extensive IMO, as well as how officers are taught to approach minority individuals and violations possibly retraining if needed to termination if severe. That's one area where body cams can also help beyond shootings.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    J-Rod likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    jabberwalkie : OK, so we seem to be at least somewhat on the same page. The training of police officers is what I would like to see change.

I would like to see diversity training for officers such as I have gotten with the public schools and what heels was talking about earlier.

I would like to see profiling end. Diversity training and profiling do not mix, because diversity training is pretty much the anti-profiling. (I was taught things like "Don't assume black students are good at basketball and Asian students are good at math.")

I would also like to see officers trained to incapacitate without killing, and expected to do so.

15. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Are you making up stats now? WTF

Where's your proof? Please post it

16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I was remembering this incident a while back and I have no idea why people were ardently defending this woman. She literally began a gunfight over a traffic violation. Worse still, she was coaching her children to be inherently distrustful of police officers in a case in which she was obviously breaking the law. Unbelievable.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-korryn-gaines-involved-in-police-incident-in-march/41016216

Making a martyr out of this person is crazy.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, someone pointing a gun at an officer puts me 100 percent in the officer's corner.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Misleading at best.

This includes anyone in law enforcement, not police, so you can see corrections officers dying in car accidents listed in the statistics. And there's at least one DHS ICE officer this year who is included.

This officer crashed his car on patrol, into a parked car: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22793-deputy-sheriff-travis-russell

This officer had a heart attack during training: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22804-first-sergeant-joseph-g-portaro

This officer crashed his patrol car into a tree: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22824-trooper-jeffrey-nichols

Have you going any statistics not influenced by your blatant disingenuity?

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    What made me sad was her son's so called "statement" after the incident occurred.

20. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    The website not having a filter regarding how the officer died makes me disingenuine?

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes. Because the number dead is substantially higher than the actual risk factor of the job.

i.e. there's nothing that makes driving a patrol car more risky than driving a cab, truck, or civilian car. There is a risk inherent in pursuits, but the deaths I cited - of which there are many more - are not related to the officer in a position of risk i.e. in a pursuit.

Therefore, to infer the reaction of police - or, more accurately, the overreaction - is defensible is misleading at best. There is no evidence that the police are actually at risk, but this is America. There's no evidence that people will break into your house and harm you, but an entire industry corrupted your government and courts over this lie, soooooo...

Police are not materially at risk in the course of their duties to the extent that their reliance on lethal force can be excused or dismissed.

22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, when you present sources of information, it is up to you to evaluate them and make sure that they are being representative of the issue at hand as well as factually correct.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Brilliant. I was hoping my "once a week" was an exaggeration.

25. achanes

achanes Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2016

If nobody were committing crimes we wouldn't need police. That's also never going to happen. What is your point? Is there a point?

Posting a website with inaccurate data attempting to convince everyone your points are valid isn't going to help you make your case.

Plus, considering you said this --

-- and then failed to list the 700+ shootings and reasons for each and every shooting, I'm surprised anyone is taking you this seriously right now.

Generalizations and misinformation are part of the problem on both sides, here. You are perpetuating the problem with these kinds of posts.

We need police but we don't need them to be abusing power. We also do not need generalizations to allow those officers who wrongfully used their power to escape any consequences, just as we don't need a media-fest instilling fear in the populace. We need respect on both sides of the law and we need the police to be held accountable for their actions. Being underpaid doesn't give you the right to murder someone. Nor does the difficulty of their job. If they aren't cut out to uphold the law properly, they shouldn't be police.