main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being "emotional" and asserting that you are the one being "logical" is not OK.

Jedi Merkurian , harpua and Juliet316 like this.
  2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    What if everyone who disagrees with me is being emotional?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Assuming that is the height of arrogance, along with your continued assertion that you are "correct" because you say so.

Not only is it arrogant, in this thread, seeing that such comments are nearly all directed at women and people of color, it is racist and sexist.

Jedi Merkurian , harpua and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You aren't looking at it logically. You are looking at it in a vacuum that does not exist. That's the height of being illogical.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I wish I could like that post twice. Well-said.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    J-Rod in short: "We shouldn't classify people by race, because when we do, we see that black people are as a group clearly more violent and criminal than other races. Those are just the facts."

Yeah, definitely not racist at all.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You do realize I'm talking about more than one guy, and more than one circumstance, right?

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

dont make me like ur posts. this is your only warning

solojones and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, sure. But if you want to explain how awful it was for his wife to be cheating, and then literally refuse to engage in the part of the discussion about whether it was appropriate to kill her, that's something different.

I only raise this point because, literally, in a thread about race relations, you have not engaged us at all in discussion about the ways policing and the criminal justice system need to change in order to treat blacks more fairly--even though you have conceded in the abstract that some changes could occur--while giving us paragraph after paragraph of condemnation of not only specific African-Americans, but going onto suggest that the entire group has a problem. You may not be trying to condone the violence, but if you were trying to, this is exactly how it would look.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    CT-867-5309, Juliet316, TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  13. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Lolz. Temporarily lost her hearing. According to her lawyers. Um whatever.

Funny, there are two types of defense lawyers that I can't stand:

1. Lawyers who come up with ridiculous excuses for their clients (e.g. affluenza, temporary deafness etc). I'll accept mental illness, intellectual disabilities, was abused as a child etc as excuses/explanations for when somebody commits a crime but certainly not crap like affluenza.

2. Lawyers who character assassinate the victim(s), whether alleged or actual, by bringing up their past even when it has nothing to do with the trial in question.

And number 2 always seems to come up when a cop is on trial. And if you are a lawyer then you know that your defendant is guilty if your defense strategy mainly focuses on character assassinating the victim(s) and not on trying to prove your client's innocence.

Sadly though juries continue to fall for that sort of crap. Or they just don't care. Either way it's sad.

CT-867-5309, Juliet316, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  14. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Classic Orwellian use of the passive voice in that article.
    First, I should give the writer credit that they acknowledge some facts in active voice up front:
    Then we have this gem from her lawyer; placing the active participant outside the scenario:
    Sure, but she felt the trigger well enough to squeeze it, and she saw the sights well enough to hit him, right?

Then an oldie but a goldie:
    Sure, technically he may be justified in widening the phrase to include past clients that may have been on the receiving end. Technically.

Then the crowning glory:
    This makes her more sympathetic, right? A history of domestic violence, she was triggered and panicked, now she's facing prison! This isn't so one-sided!
    Except in this case, "a history of domestic violence" means her committing it against her ex, an attempt to file a restraining order against her, and two previous complaints of excessive force.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah and honestly if you have a history of ptsd maybe you shouldn't have a job where you carry a gun, dawg

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That was what jumped out at me too. So the obvious Qs:

What was she doing even still being a cop? Why didn't they fire her arse?

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I can't laugh at this hard enough. Seriously. ****ing hell.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Can you give her a break, please? I like the fact you're all pretending that deaf people accidently shooting unarmed people isn't an epidemic in the US. KEEP BURYING YOUR HEADS IN THE SAND, PEOPLE!

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I shoot people while deaf all the time!

*fires gun*

*mortally wounds Diggy*

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ugh...please call 911...oh hell, can you lip read?

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    "Bruh... Please... *unintelligible* ... Oh hell, can you lick me?"

Okay.

*shoots while deaf*

He was a beautiful human being, leaves behind a family... donations accepted after the service.

SuperPersch likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You could have at least given him a lick before shooting... you heartless fiend.

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Did you say, "This looks fun, shoot me too"?

SuperPersch and Ender Sai like this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You don't want to mess with me. I'm practically blind. If I aim for your face, I'll probably shoot you in the nuts.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Wow, I can hear perfectly now, it's like I'm cured.