main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Compared to his segments on TDL rather than his hosting, Noah isn't as enjoyable. I just don't think he's funny enough to sustain an entire show the way Stewart was.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love me some Trevor, but have not yet stomached Ann Coulter Jr on his show.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What you said about voting, Trump winning and BLM.
    My dad believes the same thing and hasn't stopped telling me this for weeks

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or maybe it was the fact that a lot of white women are Republicans?

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The thing that gets me is that he kept asking "what is an acceptable way of calling attention to injustice," and she kept dodging! That, and "did you really just ask 'what has the KKK done?'"

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    We all know what people like them think. There is no acceptable way to call attention to injustice. Those protesters should just shut up because...patriotism!

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    McWhorter for Time: "The Difference between Racial Bias and White Supremacy"

We've talked in here before about bias and how it differs from institutional racism/white supremacy. This is an important discussion that needs to be had in our society lest real racism is obscured beneath all this still important, but not serious racist/supremacist, behavior.

A quote:

To use “white supremacy” as a battering ram is, in the end, as uncivilized as anything offensive to liberals scrawled on a wall or spewed into a comments section. Criticism? Of course. Recreational abuse? One is to rise above it.

http://time.com/4584161/white-supremacy/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is this really even a problem? I have yet to hear a Democratic senator accuse someone like John McCain of being a white supremacist, whereas by contrast I hear plenty of Republican lawmakers making all sorts of hysterical and defamatory comments about Obama all the time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

If you read the article, he's talking mostly about academia, not politicians.

10. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Me:

As we all know Ted Bundy acted as his own counsel and it did not help him. At all. So it is strange and stupid that Roof will apparently represent himself.

If Roof has any common sense he would just try and make a plea deal to get LWOP and avoid the death penalty.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Possible today that we'll get a verdict in the Slager trial (officer who shot 50 yr old Walter Scott in Charleston, 2015). Jury has been in deliberation since Wednesday afternoon.

Judge did expand the jury's options. Murder (up to life), Involuntary Manslaughter (5-30), Nothing.

I assume they'll come back with Involuntary Manslaughter.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm awaiting the outcry from the "alt-Right" (Nazi's) about making Christmas PC and that white jebus wouldn't agree etc...

14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Is there a white? How about an Asian? I demand a Navajo Santa as well!

Jokes aside this doesn't bother me since Santa died like 1,000 years ago. He was some rich guy who gave $ to the poor so they can get married.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So evidently there is one hold out juror in the Slager trial, and the other 11 jurors want to convict. They have been sending notes to the judge trying to get this hold out excluded from the jury, on grounds that he shouldn't have been on this jury.

Sounds like they have one juror who is the type who just doesn't believe cops can murder someone. This is such a cut and dried case, of all the cases. Sounds like 11 jurors agreed. But it will likely be a mistrial anyway.

Our unanimous jury system is insane.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    When deciding something as serious as murder, the bar should be set very high. Considering all the black men who get convicted under this system, lowering the standard would be worse and result in more incarcerations.

As much as I hate some verdicts, the system is better with the higher standards to convict.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
  18. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    We recently threw out a charge because no evidence of the device was found & when the case ended this "hanging" prosecutor berated us.

The suspect was spared the charge by 1 vote!

1 vote can matter!

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I believe other counties have systems where you need something like ten people to agree. That's still a high threshold. At least I think 11 should be sufficient. Our current system is far too susceptible to one rogue juror holding out. This is not justice.

20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    But then you have systems where you face no jury at all. Only a judge or a tribunal.

No system is perfect.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, but there is demonstrably something wrong with a system where a cop can't get convicted for shooting an unarmed man in the back multiple times as he runs away harmlessly, even when there's video evidence and several witnesses, solely because one guy probably shouldn't have been on the jury. That sort of high profile acquittal rarely seems to happen in places like, say, the UK.

Essentially, our system has become one in which all the defense has to do is target one or two jurors who are probably lying about their ability to be fair. People who shouldn't be on the jury. And then they can get people off who shouldn't be acquitted or get a mistrial.

Look, it is rare that 11 people of various backgrounds on a jury would unanimously tell a judge, "this one juror is not following the guidelines for conviction and he should be replaced with an alternate." In a rare case where this does happen, there ought to be a fail safe.

I'm just saying I think we should have a system where it's possible to render a verdict with 11 votes if the judge deems that twelfth person is not following the guidelines but is just trying to go rogue. The judge's experience and evaluation of the evidence should count in that scenario.

And this shouldn't just apply to convictions. It should also apply to acquittals. There just ought to be some safeguard against the defense or prosecution either one being able to manipulate a single person who is not actually following the legal guidelines.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    You mentioned the UK. The reason it dosent happen alot there is because guns are harder to get.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Are you a judge/attorney DB?

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The mode of murder is irrelevant. The fact is that in general in the UK, regardless of the charges, the justice process is much more swift, less easy to buy your way out of, and in my opinion, generally more fair.

Maybe, maybe part of the reason for all that is that sentences are lighter in the UK. So convicting a cop of murder in this type of situation may be more fair because you won't get jury members who are skittish to hand out life without parole.

But partly it's a symptom of the fact that in the US, acquittals can be bought. Good jury selection can be purchased. The justice system is big business, rather than simply being a system interested primarily in swift and fair justice (this is also how innocent less rich people wind up spending more than a year in jail awaiting trial for crimes they may not have committed. As I said, our system is bad for innocent people as well).

But I need to look into it more, because I do believe you also don't need a unanimous vote in the UK.

EDIT:

Okay yes, I was right. Since the 70s in the UK, you just need a 10-2 decision and a judge's agreement to render a verdict in criminal cases. This was done to prevent jury tampering or rogue jurors who refuse to follow the actual legal guidelines.

I believe this is the more fair way to do it. There are many, many reasons the UK justice system could teach the US system a lot about fair trials and sentencing. (And investigation: their cops have for over ten years now been forbidden from lying to suspects, which has actually led to a greater confidence in evidence and higher conviction rate for those who are clearly guilty.) This is just one of them, IMHO.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe of interest