main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Oh my no! I'm a jurist!

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Really? Are you kidding me? I'm sick and tired of a juror holding other jurors back from a proper conviction or worse an entire jury refusing to convict someone not because of the facts of the case but because of the juror(s) or jury's personal beliefs.

Yes please have this hold out excluded. This is a cut and dry case. For crying out loud 11 out of 12 jurors wanted to convict the ex-cop. That rarely happens.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Jedi Merkurian
    Ahem.

That being said, the unanimous decision system is pretty ridiculous. Especially when it comes to having a juror like the one in this trial. I always thought a proper threshold would be at least 3/4 of the jury finding the defendant guilty in order to make a conviction.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

And their gun control is one of the many reasons I love the UK. Wish we had it here!

I've been working with an organization to distribute food and clothing to the homeless over the past four months, and I must say the majority of homeless people we have encountered have been black. My good friend and I were talking about how she noticed that she was treated better than black people when she was homeless, and that really speaks to the perverse privilege that society affords to white people over nonwhite people. That was one reason she wanted to give back and help those in need.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, the controversy over Huckleberry Finn is over depiction of the N-word, even when the use of that word isn't necessarily being promoted by the work?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Mistrial for Slager in the Walter Scott murder. Not going to be a quiet night in Charleston.

Over the next few weeks, it will be decided whether or not he will be re-tried. I feel terrible for the Scott family.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Ahem, what? Mistrial. No justice.

Apparently the jurors sent a note to the judge saying the majority of the jurors were still undecided, so it may not have even been just one guy at that point.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Similar outcome with Jonathan Ferrell in Charlotte last year. heels1785 you may be saved from the worst just by the fact that he was charged. We were spared anything too horrible because former police chief Monroe had fired Officer Kerrick. There were some protests but they weren't too out of hand.

All the same...what the hell is wrong with that juror?

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Doesn't matter if it is being shown in a morally repugnant light and if the antagonists use it in a depraved manner. You simply can't use it for some folks to feel it should be banished. It's a very disturbing trend.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No idea. A very, very weird trial. He will be tried again - and possibly in federal court, too.

On the other hand, we have Dylann Roof deciding that he no longer wants to be his own attorney, so he's brought his team back.

Strange proceedings here.

EDIT - One difference in this case is that there is general respect and praise for the work that our 9th Circuit Solicitor, Scarlett Wilson, has done with the prosecution. The Scott family released a statement praising her work, and she has promised that a second trial is coming soon. I know in other similar events, there was a great deal of mistrust between the African American community and the prosecution. Is not the case here. This was about a juror.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'll probably regret asking this but who's paying for that?

15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Who do you think? Us the Tax payer.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seriously? There's provision for a defender sure, how come it's been stretched to an entire team?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It's federal so I'm not sure. I've only served on state juries.

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If you think Trump is bad you should meet the US legal profession. They'd defend Satan for free if it gave them publicity.:p

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't that the theme of the movie A Man For All Seasons?

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
    Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
    William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
    Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pah, if they want a real challenge they should take on the Case of the Bloody Knife.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Blackadder Goes Forth reference?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Got it in one.

23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I thought it was 11 to 1 in favor of the conviction. Was that untrue?

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Apparently so.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I haven't watched that show in 2 years. Feel like doing a marathon of it now. :D

ShaneP Well, that's awful. Especially given how clear the crime is.

ShaneP likes this.