main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    True. I know this because I've watched several American Civil War documentaries (Pretty interesting from a German perspective). :p

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Ghost
    You think that's weird? I think Kentucky has a part of it that's actually in Illinois, or surrounded by the Mississippi River. Whatever it is, it's a weird set up, partially due to the river, at least.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The weirdest one is the part of Minnesota that's in Canada. Silly people in the 18th century didn't know where the Mississippi began.

What thread is this again?

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

The Race Relations in the Northwest Angle Thread. :p

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Virgina was super greedy with thier land claims. At one point they claimed.......

Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, & parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland & Minnesota.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I know the northern sliver of WV has to do with the course of the Ohio River, but not sure about the Maryland part.

Juliet316 and Ghost like this.
  7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The Maryland part had to do with "the western most source of the Potomac River shall be thee western boundary of the colony of Maryland".

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, I don't think hardly any criminals actually want to go to prison for street cred. I think that's a coping mechanism. Once they're there, they front. They join a gang if they're not already in one. But they do that to survive and cope. Most of them are still pretty desperate to get out and go home.

But sadly, a lot of them (especially men of color, bringing this back to the topic) kind of buy into society's stereotypes of people like them. The world sees them as thugs, even if their crimes were minor, so they embrace that. They claim being to prison makes them hard and more legit and badass. But how many actually wanted to be in prison, really? I find it dubious to think that it's even a significant number.

Well, I don't know. For one thing, I'd make it part of a larger justice system reform. I mentioned that the UK forbade their cops from lying to suspects, which cut down hugely on false confessions.

Secondly, when talking about the people most vulnerable to unfair convictions and sentences, particularly poor people and many people of color, the vast majority of people in this group never see trial. They take plea deals. When people do go to trial, they actually generally have a lower risk of conviction. But many people are frightened into not risking trial by

A lower threshold for jury decisions would also, by the way, apply to acquittals as well. This would mean fewer mistrials, which can lead to people who have not been convicted of anything being stuck in jail for months or years longer while going through another trial (this happens mostly to poor suspects who can't afford bail). I think honestly the people who would be convicted more often on an 11 person decision are actually probably white people and people like cops, who seem likely to get one sympathetic person on the jury to not believe they could be guilty.

But again, this would be one part of a massive justice system overhaul, in my mind.

By the way, I watched the Netflix doc "Thirteenth" the other day. Very good and sobering look at how our current "justice" system is in fact an extension of a new type of slavery.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Dylann Roof found guilty, a relative no-brainer.

The real fight now begins in sentencing. He'll have zero counsel present, and will act entirely on his own.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He should get life. No chance of parole. Lock him up surrounded by speakers blazing Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? 24-7. That might torture him.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    What are the chances of the state still pursuing their own conviction now that he has been convicted in Federal court?

I only ask because I think our Solicitor will be occupied with the Slager retrial, and if the Feds will handle Roof, I think it would be preferable not to ask the families to relive their agony in yet another courtroom.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

A decision wont be made for a state prosecution until the sentence has been handed down. Also, in the event of a reversal of the federal court decision, the state may opt to try him.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Was this case televised at all and has anyone followed it closely? *ahem* Bazinga'd

If so, what is your opinion of his sentence?

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I mean, I followed it through our local news here. Some pretty terrifying stuff, including the revelation that my workplace was one of the sites that Mr. Roof scouted as a potential target, as we're 3 blocks down from Mother Emanuel AME.

I think it's hard to predict what the sentence will be, given the fact that Mr. Roof is likely to turn his allotted time into his last opportunity to make sure he is heard. I would not be surprised if he's sentenced to death.

Edit - this jury convicted him in less than 2 hours. Sentencing phase begins on 1/3.

15. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I know I might be getting some heat for this....but if Dylan Roof is a candidate for the death penalty, I wholeheartedly believe we should make it public.
    [​IMG]

Let the evil little bastard swing.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No.no.no.no.no.

solojones, Abadacus and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

My response exactly. JFC.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah there's a normal non-psychotic reaction.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Burn the Witch

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    They should make him praise General Sherman before every meal.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Sherman didn't exactly love black people. He was indifferent at best. Roof would probably let out some stupid rebel yell war whoop if that happened.

Just a quote from Sherman writing to his wife Ellen in 1860 on his views:

All the congresses on earth can’t make the negro anything else than what he is; he must be subject to the white man."

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They should make him eat every meal listening to a Malcolm X or MLK speech.

They should also make him read and write a detailed non-critical review of every Coretta Scott King Award and John Steptoe Award winning book.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    And add an assignment to review WEB Du Bois's Black Reconstruction in America.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    He'll be segregated from the entire prison population and left to stew in his hate.

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002