main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm going to recommend a couple of pieces of media.

First is The Dollop podcast, episodes 228 and 229, a two parter about the Boston Busing riots of 1974 and 1975. The short of it is, Boston is about as racist as it gets. It was then, it still is now.

[​IMG]

Second is the outstanding Netflix documentary 13th. I think the poster sums this one up.

[​IMG]

(sorry is either of these have been mentioned ion the last few pages, I kind of tuned out and skipped ahead when the death penalty came up.)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've got 13th on my queue; I know it's going to be extremely painful to watch so I've been putting it off to make sure I have time to process it.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    13th draws heavily from the books The New Jim Crow and Slavery by Another Name, if anyone is interested in further reading.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Officer Michael Slager, who murdered Walter Scott by shooting him in the back, will be re-tried in North Charleston on March 1st.

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, this is despicable.

I'm glad the four they've arrested are being charged.

Apparently their victim was also special needs. Great. We have come so far as human beings.

Sent from A TRANSMISSION BEAMED ABOARD THIS SHIP--

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meanwhile, in Idaho, a white football player gets almost no punishment for endlessly bullying and then raping a black teammate with a coat hanger. The Good Ole Boy Network went to bat for him.

The family is suing and I hope they win bigly, and I hope karma takes care of the entitled little **** bully. Because **** dinky little towns stuck in the 50s.

Story here

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [face_plain]

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I find it especially frustrating how that horrific abuse is still being called the 'Black Lives Matter' kidnapping. The Chicago Police Department actually specifically stated the suspects had no connection. The Black Lives Matter Chicago chapter has been loud in their support of the boy. Nothing matters.

The whole reaction to this horrific incident also points out the glaring ironies and fallacies in the All Lives Matter crowd. Those four monsters were caught swiftly and will receive harsh punishments as they should. It's too bad Chicagoans are terrified that Jason Van Dyke may not receive the punishment he deserves.

10. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, right-wing media actively trying to tie this to BLM is...quixotic in a non-endearing way. It's just dumb.

It's just stupid to me because incidences of hate crimes against minorities or even whites are never really talked about with the right perspective, it seems. It's just another opportunity to spin these incidences into someone's political agenda.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Shaun King was asked why he was not tweeting and hashtagging about the kidnapping and beating of the kid in Chicago.

His response, and I'm paraphrasing: because the criminals were brought swiftly to justice. As they should have been.

Quite often that is not the case when the victim is black. See also: the persistent bullying and rape in Idaho.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't really tell from that article - what was the outcome of the trial / what punishment did they get ?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No felony rape charges and not required to register as a sex offender. He has to plead to one felony count of "injury to a child." He is on probation and has to do 300 hours of community service. One Idaho prosecutor said that the crime was not a sex crime and not racially motivated, which indicates that the prosecutor must have bought his way through law school because he most likely does not have opposable thumbs.

Better article here

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    When I saw the Chicago torture video the first thing I said was, "Yes they should be charged with a hate crime."

Thankfully, they were charged swiftly. I know some would say they should of been charged with a hate crime based on the young man being white (due to their comments in the video) and perhaps they should have been. But at least they were charged. These four people were charged *snaps fingers* like that.

And I just saw that the judges denied them bail too. Now I have no sympathy for these four suspects. Bullies are bullies regardless of skin color. Yet like everybody else I see the huge and disgusting double standards in regards to how the U.S. justice system operates.

Honestly, I don't know which crowd is more annoying: the individuals in the media who were like "We don't know if that video shows a hate crime..." when the video was first released or the super conservative crowd who were like "This is all Black Lives Matters fault! Obama is the spawn of the devil!"

Finally, that Idaho prosecutor is an idiot. So according to him raping someone with a coat hanger does not constitute as a sex crime? Really? This man is a prosecutor? Ugh.

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I liked how Noah called Trump out for what he is. I wish more people would.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If there's one thing we have a dearth of right now, it's people calling Trump racist. If we all started calling him racist/giving Goku our energy for his spirit bomb, Trump won't become president.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

18. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    I absolutely hate that quote.

One because it makes no sense and isn't the definition of insanity, and two it is wrongfully attributed to Einstein when there is no evidence he actually said it.

19. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm actually the one who wrote Lincoln's Gettysburg address. I do time traveling in my spare time.

Since you read that on the internet it must be true.

[face_mischief] :p

20. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    I'll believe it.

It reminds me of another famous quote by Mr. Samuel Clemens:

"I never said this."

Juliet316 and Jedi_Kenobi32 like this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Federal prosecutors have officially rested their case in the sentencing phase of the Roof trial. Jurors will be sent home for the afternoon, and deliberations start tomorrow.

Roof was convicted on all 33 counts of federal hate crimes and weapons charges, and will face execution or life without parole.

Talos of Atmora and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

If I were the jury, I would sentence him to life and send him to general population where he would not fair well.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I wouldn't encourage and cheer on prison violence just because I don't like a particular prisoner.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And since he whined about having to hear testimony from victims' relatives, let that testimony be played on a loop 24/7 in his cell along with MLK and Malcolm X speeches.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I wasnt condoning it, but he wont be happy with the prision lifestyle.