main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nah, he just tried to lecture John Lewis about Martin Luther King Jr. On MLK Day, no less.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  4. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
  5. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I always had a feeling that this woman was a liar. Now my suspicions are confirmed.

I loved how she claimed that she felt "sad" and "sorry" for what happened to Till and the grief the boy's mother went through. Honestly, I don't care how sorry or how sad this ***** felt about any of this. Seriously, **** her feelings. A child was brutally murdered and his killers got away with it because of her lies.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Supposedly she is asking forgiveness.

That would be a "hell to the no." She can rot.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have no sympathy for that lying *****.

8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I have a lot of respect for Till's mother. It's bad enough to have to outlive and bury a child as a parent but to insist on an open casket and see his body in that condition during the funeral (for the greater good, really) must have taken an iron will.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I do think there's something to be said for this. It's a strain of discussion that goes all the way back to the earliest abolitionist tracts. Violence and hatred are neither "natural" nor consequence free. I imagine the guilt of knowingly participating in a conspiracy to brutally murder an innocent child who had done nothing wrong is probably immense. It is useful, from time to time, to reflect no only on the costs of racism to its intended targets, but even on the supposed beneficiaries, whether that toll is personal/psychological (as in this case) or systemic (eg poor whites stymied their own chances at economic improvement by investing race theory rather than allying with poor blacks).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I know I couldn't do it. Maybe WindSong could.

Well, Trump is having another meltdown on Twitter. I fear what he will do when he turns his attention to BLM.

11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Jabba-wocky I understand what you're saying but here's the thing: I have zero tolerance for people who falsely accuse others of wrongdoing. Even if one removes the racist angle from the equation Emmett Till was still violently killed because of one person's false accusations.

Furthermore, as anyone would know people have been violently lynched because of things like false allegations. People have been violently murdered by vigilantes only to find out A) the accuser(s) lied B) the person who was lynched was innocent all along and-or C) a crime did happen but the vigilantes targeted and lynched the wrong person.

Lastly, as anyone would also know lynchings were unconstitutional because the accused were usually executed by vigilantes before the accused could even stand trial for any alleged wrongdoing. The few who were lucky enough to stand trial were usually granted a kangaroo court trial with a crappy defense and a biased jury.

So in the end I have no respect for Carolyn Bryant. I'm normally a tolerant and forgiving person but I draw the line at people like her.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm not saying we should "have respect" for her. I'm not arguing for pity or even mercy. I'm simply arguing we should acknowledge that, yes, Jim Crow was a deeply deranged system, and its toxic effects were felt by all sides.

If you prefer a purely physical analogy, consider the following. Someone builds bombs to target a civilian population. At some point, a bomb they're designing explodes at an inopportune time, maiming the maker. I can point out how crippled the bomb builder has become without stepping back from any acknowledgement of his culpability or criminality.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. Racism is toxic to the racist as well as the people discriminated against. The price paid by each is different, to be sure; but a price is paid all the same. This does not excuse the racist, or call for respect or pjty for the racist. It simply acknowledges that "wow, you really ****ed yourself up."

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Interesting piece here on the rise of white supremacy in the United States: Contains one non-TOS-friendly word.

White radicalization

15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Jabba-wocky don't worry I'm not accusing you of thinking that we should feel sorry for her. I was just explaining why I was well angry in my first post about the news on Emmett Till. You see my anger towards what happened to Till goes beyond the issue of racism and my second post on this explains why. I recognize that racism was the motivation/driving force behind Till's death but it was mainly the fact that she caused a young boy's death through false accusation/lies that caused me to have zero sympathy for her.

Finally I agree that racism is toxic and affects everyone.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I read it this morning and thought better than posting it. Thought it would sink the thread down into abject stupidity. He just doesn't have that much to say. Not much seems to come to mind. I thought W Bush was intellectually bereft.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Ninja'd. That speech tho... [face_plain]

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tremendous speech. Tremendous. The best.

20. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Help me out. What was wrong with it?

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    He spent the entire speech talking about how great he was, how he won the black vote, how CNN was fake news, etc. He made it about himself. A president shouldn't be making it about himself.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I only have a couple of minutes and I would have an easier time listing what WASN'T wrong with it, but here is the short version:

1. It reads like a second-grader wrote it. A retired teacher friend of mine said that if one of her sixth grade students handed that in, he/she would flunk.

2. It was incoherent.

3. This is inexcusable even if the poor writing is not: he made it all about him. He could not possibly honor the history of African American people without making it 75 percent about what some have done for him.

He obviously does not think anyone deserves honor unless they have served him in some way.

And he had to include a jab at people who he thinks have wronged him.

If he does a speech for Women's History Month, it will be 90 percent about looks (maybe with body parts), Miss Universe, wives, Kelly Anne Conway, and jabs against Meryl Streep, Megyn Kelly and Rosie O'Donnell.

So I hope he skips it.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But that's what J-Rod wants to hear about!

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In the future of FULLY AUTOMATED LUXURY GAY SPACE COMMUNISM, the AI Directorate will make every speech individually tailored, so we only hear speeches about things we want to hear.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The only detailed information he could think to offer about MLK was... a rant about how fake news was out to get him over a statue. But, thanks to Fox News... wherever they are... what truly matters was cleared up. Thank you, Fox News. Wherever you are. And thanks to that other random black person whose contribution to our society was to defend Trump during the campaign. And some other random people like Rosa Parks probably accomplished something or other but what Trump is going to accomplish is what we are really here to discuss today.

And we struggle to discern what was wrong with the speech...