main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Congressman King says White Americans might have some more time, because Black people and Hispanic people will be too busy fighting and killing each other
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steve-king-blacks-latinos_us_58c81864e4b0598c669a05ba?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Few things frighten me more than white nationalists, primarily due to their Nazi influences. My boss/sister and I help the homeless a few times every month, and we recognize that that we were given unfair privilege in life due to the fact that we were white. Being white women should not give us an edge over other people, but others are backward like that. It's absurd. I'm concerned that Trump's policies will put more minorities on the street. There are not enough beds as it is for the homeless in Dallas. Racism and homelessness often go hand-in-hand.

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, there's a LOT more to the article.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So I guess folks are butthurt about statues in New Orleans?

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So I saw what it was about, and immediately thought "but HISTORY!"

Then I played a video on CNN and in the first seconds I hear "OUR HISTORY!"

I had a good laugh.

What more is there to say? I don't have a lot to say about people who cling to a history of white supremacy. Have they no shame?

I've always said that white people today don't have to feel ashamed for the deeds of their ancestors, we're not Klingons.

But if you're so proud of your region's history of white supremacy that you get mad when symbols of that white supremacy get taken down from public display, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go home, sit alone in a dark room and seriously rethink your entire life.

But I do rather like these cries over "erasing history", which isn't actually happening. No one is erasing that chapter in the history books. Those statues aren't even being destroyed, just moved, probably to a museum. Stop whining.

Btw, if you want to talk about erasing or altering history, take a look at your own textbooks and your own fictional version of events, southerners.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But northerners were so aggressive that we had to start the War of Northern Aggression. They wouldn't let us be racist in peace.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Statues and other forms of idolatry for historical figures are stupid anyway and helps elevate real, flawed human beings to mythology usually to serve someone's agenda. I have no problem with removing Confederate monuments. Good riddance. But why limit it to Southerners we don't like? Pretty much every major Southern figure pre-1865 owned slaves and defended slavery. Time to take down the Washington Monument!

11. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Russia is an interesting case in this, as far as black people. There are about 70,000 black people in Russia, including maybe 30,000 who came to the country mostly as students, from Africa, from Soviet period to today, and stayed, for various reasons; and another 40,000 mixed race children of these African people and Russians
    [​IMG]

The town of Lyubertsy, in the suburbs of Moscow, has a big African community, thousands of them there, mostly, again, young students
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Many locals there now jokingly call their neighborhood the "ghetto", because of this lol Lyubertsy was always a ghetto, though, like, the Africans started coming there about ten years ago, because of cheap housing, good for poor students lol But that area was always rough, gangs and crime and all that stuff. Which was a positive, in this case, I believe, because it means they are not scared of any strangers and newcomers, like a nicer, more affluent area might be ;)

But, yes, there is a lot of racism over there, in Russia. These mixed kids, the Mulattoes, can be treated like crap by other Russian kids. And their moms too. Slavic/white Russians look down on those of their women who sleep around outside their ethnic group, even with ethnic minorities from within Russia, guys from Caucasus and such; there are nasty names for such women, like "chernilnitsa" ("ink jar", because she takes in sperm of "dark" men, dark like ink, you know...)

There is a lot of violence, even in Moscow (hell, ESPECIALLY in Moscow, Moscow is the MOST racist of all Russian cities, they even treat other white Russians from other, poorer regions like sh**, in my memory): African migrants in Russia describe 'hell on Earth'

And yet, there are also many successful people from the Afro-Russian community, I am talking famous people, bloody celebrities

Pierre Narciss (whatever the heck his birth name may have been), for example, came to Russia as a young man, from Cameroon, to study in university; now, he is a famous rapper and singer
    [​IMG]

Viktor Keyru, son of a Russian mother and father from Sierra Leone, basketball player, suited up for the national team in Beijing Olympics
    [​IMG]

Jean Gregoire Sagbo, first ever black Russian politician, got elected to town council in Novozavidovo, near the city of Tver

Town councillor is Russia's first black elected official

Ivan Traore, Russian mother, Mali father, media personality, news anchor at "Anatomy of the Day" on RenTV, a major channel
    [​IMG]

Ola Keyru, actor, Viktor's brother
    [​IMG]

Villi Keyru, singer, reality TV star, socialite (if that term can be used for a male...) another brother of Viktor
    [​IMG]

Etc.

And gorgeous women like Nkeirouka Ezekh, half-Nigerian, member of the national curling team
    [​IMG]

Or Katerina Keyru, yes, Viktor's little sister (they are a hell of a family, the Keyrus, star family haha), who won an U-21 Championship with the women's basketball team, and now plays for the grown up national team
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In 2015, she married Ivan Novoseltsev, the national football/soccer team goalie
    [​IMG]
    Only an idiot like that Novoseltsev would wear that to his bloody wedding photoshoot... lol No wonder he can't stop a ball from getting into his f-n net to save his damn life...

Anyway, yeah, amazing people, Afro-Russians. To survive and to thrive like this, in that environment... I am inspired by them, honestly.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I ****ing love Trevor Noah.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian , Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I never understood why some, not all, Americans celebrate the memory of an internal armed insurrection against your government.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also some interesting historical Afro-Russians, like:

Abram Petrovich Gannibal
    [​IMG]
    Kidnapped as a child and presented as a gift to Peter the Great, he later in life become a Russian nobleman, military engineer and general. He is a great-grandfather of the author and poet Alexander Pushkin.

Maybe that all of USA celebrate the memory of their internal armed insurrection against their lawful government every fourth of July have something to do with it? But then again, maybe not.

15. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Most of them don't know a black person in any significant capacity, so there's a sense of detachment from the concept of personally-owned racism.

Most fly the Confederate flag, I think, because they latch onto the sense of "last stand" and "glory". I guess?

My grandfather would tell you that the Industrial Revolution would've rendered slavery obsolete soon after anyway. Whatever truth there may or may not be behind that, there's still the fact that human beings would've continued to suffer under slavery for years on end as the transition was made.

And this isn't to build Abraham Lincoln up as an angelic figure. He wasn't. But had I lived in that era, I'd hope my circumstances led me to supporting the Union, even if that was simply to sew flags, serve drinks, and generally boost morale.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You know what's hilarious about all this?

I bet we're all doing something people 100 years down the line will think is horribly evil and will want our statues removed.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I bet every generation of the 20th century (and early 21st) will be reviled by future ones over the refusal to do anything long term about climate change and they'll want to erase our memory from the earth.

It'll be hard to blame them.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Hopefully they start with any statues of Trump.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't disagree.

But that said, I was thinking there's something we all think is okay but by the time we're 80 we'll be hated for it.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I admire your optimism. You assume there'll be anyone left to hate us.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There's a pretty bright line between incidentally doing things retrospectively considered bad and being the leading champions of a cause recognized as wrong at the time. To use your points, yes, everyone contributed to climate change. But building monuments to the oil company executives that actively conspired to conceal evidence about its existence and thwart environmental regulations specifically in honor of these actions is still significantly egregious.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Meanwhile in Alabama, a suburb sues to separate it's school district from the larger city. The judge hearing the case says that the motives for doing so are clearly racist...and then approves the move.

"Take America Back" indeed [face_plain]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Locally led public school system". This is why I can't take proponents of "neighborhood schools" seriously. It's code for "I don't want my kids in school with 'those people'." We're seeing some of it here too with the recent redistricting, parents actually complaining that their children's grades might go down if their school populations are combined with populations of other schools.

My children's school, whose student population is 80-percent-African-American, got one of the top ratings in the state.

24. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Its about the myth of incompetence, I recall a Vice News article a few months back. It was when Vice articles had a comment section, about the Alberta Canada Fires. To help Canada South Africa sent fire fighters to help out and their was a Vice article about pay problems, 3 comments down an individual 'why the Canadian needed help from SA's incompetent fire departments?' As I never hear of SA suffering from out of control fires my first though was "How are they incompetent?" I have never heard anything bad about the SA fire service departments.

But for many African or Black = incompetence automatically, its a mythology that is necessary to support white supremacy.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011