main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    So when the suspect is white and the police have a description they never talk to any white person who fits that description who is near the crime scene? that is some bad police work.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The equivalence would be talking to every white person, in a belligerent manner with an assumption of guilt, who was anywhere near the crime scene.

"Is black" does not equal "fits the description of the suspect." Many assume it does.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    https://twitter.com/doamuslims/status/883394490635083776

Turns out wearing clothes while brown in the UK mean some dumb white woman will assume you're a terrorist and involve the police, handcuff you, and have you searched, while she then harasses another brown person for filming it.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The bolded phrase becomes a bit more broad when you're a person of color. Not for nothing does the phrase "you people all look alike to me" exist.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I didn't know it was possible to do an "I'm not racist I have a black friend" for a whole empire, but the Daily Mail sure did.

[​IMG]

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I just can't believe a Murdoch publication would stoop so low! :p

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't think the Daily Mail is one of Murdoch's

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    That's a standard issue for them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah, I stand corrected. It's a right-wing British rag he somehow doesn't own.

Chewgumma likes this.
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Christ on a Caesar Salad is it just me or are things getting worse lately? Seems like there are more racially charged shootings recently. One sensless shooting is too many, and it feels like they're happening on the daily.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

When it comes to police violence, its always been this way. We just have video of it now.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think KW is right; we have video of it now and it's also getting more attention since the Black Lives Matter movement formed.

One of my favorite novels is The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon. It takes place in the 60s and has a police shooting of an unarmed black teenager. It's fiction, it was published in 2009, well before these events were getting highly publicized, but it was based on the idea that these have always been common.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

And social media to spread said videos around like wildfire.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What is wrong with police forces that they hire such ignorant stupid cops, or just damn racist ones. That is the only choice in this. Who looks at a 5'2" 115lb person (I'll even give those asshats that they couldn't tell she was a female) for a bald 5'10" 170lb person. Sure, she had a hat on but it wouldn't be much to have her take it off. Wouldn't that be all that was needed to know she didn't look in any way like their suspect? So many inept, cowardly and racist thugs with badges.

Again, the force say they did nothing wrong, so again I will ask, where the hell are all the supposed 'good cops'? Who (other then the usual racist suspects oh and the blue wall of silence when they do something wrong ) in their right mind believe this bs?

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    So, usually you have to be 21 to join the police force. I think the stats are something like 20% of police officers first served in the military. Also I'd assume a lot of them are in the reserves, national guard, etc.

I've occasionally wondered what the consequences of the U.S. being at war for so long (16 years and counting) might be for institutions that recruit from the military. I'd assume that police departments as a whole nationwide have one of the highest concentration of combat veterans. Maybe I'm wrong about this. But I wonder what it's like for a police officer who's been in armed combat in Afghanistan or Iraq. Does it color your perception of interactions with the people in the community where you work?

Edit: interesting article from 2014: http://www.policemag.com/channel/ca...01/military-vets-joining-law-enforcement.aspx

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I know a smart guy who tried to become a cop. They told him he thought too much.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Police forces draw an inordinate number of people (mostly men) with authoritarian tendencies. I would also hazard a guess that many police forces today (particularly those outside of major urban areas) have an ongoing gravity force that discourages people of other personality types, particularly those who favor non-confrontational approaches and and any method that involves giving credit to either civilians in general or suspects in particular. This all goes along with a continued preference for white supremacy as manifested through various police interests (financial and otherwise), social dynamics, and so on.

To put it another way, if you're a white male who believes strongly in obedience to authority and is willing to use deadly force while also being great at fraternizing with other people who believe this way, there may well be a place for you on a police force today. If you're a more thoughtful person that prefers methods that involve something other than brute force on suspects and believes that everyone really does have certain rights (and particularly minorities), you may well find a "no vacancy" sign.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Sounds like a bunch of sadistic, bloodthirsty, barbarians join the police then. Is there any wonder why we hear and see so much brutality?

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    So this time it's 'murican horror story.

Ender Sai, Jedi Ben, DANNASUK and 2 others like this.