main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Stupidity.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It reminds me of when the media changed the spelling from Usama Bin Laden to Osama Bin Laden, because idiots were outraged that the first three letters of Usama are USA, and apparently that's just blasphemous. What an outrageous coincidence, morons. Who was outraged over a coincidence then, btw? The patriotic right.

Maybe it's oversensitive and needless, but obviously ESPN was just playing it safe and avoiding any possible unfortunate coincidences. You know idiots would have tried to make a big deal out of it on social media, and indeed ESPN has to watch out and try to avoid bad optics (like idiots getting upset over an announcer named Robert Lee after what happened in Charlottesville). So, damned if you do, damned if you don't. It may have been better if they didn't let this get out at all, then they wouldn't have to worry about optics.

That said, I generally don't give a **** what the alt-right will think of it, I'm not big on catering to their thoughts or reactions. Anyone who can't see that it is in actuality a harmless precaution and tries to make a big deal out of it is already biased, and every bit as ready to make a fuss out of nothing as the pampered babies on the left.

In actuality, it's a non-issue. The alt-right can't do anything significant with this. No1curr, except for those who already have an ax to grind. It's just yet another of life's little annoyances, so count me as unconcerned.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Setting aside your personal beliefs, you realize that this not even slightly accurate from a factual standpoint, right?

Usama bin Laden or Osama bin Laden?

Slate, CNN, AP says Osama. The FBI, the CIA, and FOX News says Usama.

As most everyone knows, the Arabic alphabet differs from the Latin alphabet. The Arabic alphabet has 28 letters rather than 26, and it uses completely different characters—some of which, including the first character of Bin Laden's first name, do not have directly corresponding sounds in English. Changing letters or words from one alphabet into the corresponding letters or words from another alphabet is called transliteration. Rendering a language from another alphabet (or from a pictographic system such as Chinese) into the Latin alphabet is called Romanization. A variety of systems exist to Romanize Arabic letters and words, but there is no dominant one.

The International Journal of Middle East Studies offers one system, the Library of Congress a slightly different one. And not all publications consistently follow one system, either. Historical tradition for a particular place or name can win out, and so can personal preference. Or the ad hoc spelling established by the Associated Press can become the standard, as the case with Osama. For example, the official IJMES transliteration of the al-Qaida leader would be "Usama ibn Ladin," but the journal uses "Osama bin Laden" for consistency with other publications.

The difficulty in Romanizing Arabic was illustrated in the 1980s by the multiple spellings for Libyan strongman Moammar/Muammar Gadaffi/Gaddafi/Gathafi/Kadafi/Kaddafi/Khadafy/Qadhafi/Qathafi. The official Library of Congress transliteration would be "Qadhdhafi," but the library opted for "Quaddafi" instead, because the "dhdh" looked so strange in English. In 1986, the AP adopted "Gadhafi" as its standard, which became the most common translation used by media.

This all seems quite reasonable, and nary a "patriotic anything" in sight. But why let that get in the way of a good conspiracy?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, Arabic doesn't have a standardized Romanization. I thought that was pretty well-known due to Qaddafi and bin Laden's names.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the ESPN decision was pretty ridiculous, especially given that we have an Attorney General whose name is "Jefferson Beauregard" who has actually shown sentiments that match his name; but by all means let's go after some sports announcer who has a common first name and a common last name which, together, happen to match the name of a Confederate General.

Assuming, of course, that the sports announcer's middle name is Edward.

But, the opinion of the alt-right is literally the last thing anyone should consider when making any decision.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    First, I got the lesson on Arabic from darth boy years ago.

Second, I literally saw it live on 9/11. Actual messages scrolling the ticker of people outraged that Usama started with the letters USA. People were hysterical about it. This actually happened. This isn't some conspiracy I made up over 15 years later.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

And in typical American fashion, stories started to circulate that bin Laden hated the US because he tried to hook up with an American girl and she laughed him off.

There's not much point to it. Yes, some US sources were comfortable with USAma bin Laden, but your country has a capacity beyond what is reasonable for stupidity. The US defence/intelligence community though commonly called him UBL, so I guess there's a clue there about right wingers and his name.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow. I was wondering where the police were when I was watching the live coverage at about 11 that morning and the protesters were already throwing punches.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The police and the state stand with fascism and white supremacy, treating racists wielding firearms and preaching genocide with undue deference while reacting violently to non-violent Occupy, BLM, anti-Trump, etc. protests. Unfortunately this is still news to people.

MrZAP, appleseed, Sauntaero and 4 others like this.
  12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just ******* pathetic! Agreed, no surprise when we've a racist leader in the White House that sides with nazis and pardons another known, violent racist. Don't for a second believe the lie that the cops there didn't hear the gun shot.

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I've seen a lot of my friends on social media post things -prayers, calls for action, residents calling for aid, support for those already taking action, etc.- in regards to the plight of people in the Houston area.

Now, imagine what your reaction would be if people started posting #AllCitiesMatter in response. THAT'S how #AllLivesMatter comes across...

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Full article: Waiting For A Perfect Protest?

MrZAP, starfish, Strongbow and 10 others like this.
  16. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Merk, I wish there was a function that would automatically give you a "like" every time you posted. Thank you.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So.....

http://kotaku.com/new-south-park-ga...urce=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

[​IMG]

Going to be interesting to see what response this gets.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/hate-crime-charges-filed-against-man-for-racist-rant-at-starbucks/

and the guy Trump put in charge of elections overtly says Jim Crow laws were Good

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "I don't favor additional qualifications, but..." sounds a lot like "I'm not racist, but..."

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Wrong thread. Nothing to see here.:oops:

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    An interesting argument I found on the subject of Confederate statues:

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Thankfully, they removed the Robert E. Lee statue in downtown Dallas.

Jedi Merkurian and appleseed like this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.