main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'd love some of that white privilege. Can someone point me in the direction of where to get some?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you white? You already have it, you just didn't know it.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Hmm - I actually don't think that's a very good explanation , because it just equates being white with the 'easy' setting , but it doesn't really explain in what ways whites have it easier .

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  5. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Have you ever been pulled over for a broken taillight, failure to signal, some other tiny traffic infraction, or no reason at all?

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would add that if you support race-based profiling for any reason, up to and including the vague stereotypes of “black people commit more crimes” or “black people don’t pay their bills,” you are in no position to deny the existence of white privilege because you actively encourage it.

7. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    That wasn't a rhetorical question, by the way. Your answer might be yes, and if it is, that's worth noting too.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000

9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    But that's in the game analogy . What I'm saying is that they don't really give any RL examples of this .

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Uh...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
  12. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    gezvader28 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Being white means that you've got a far greater chance of being born in a developed country and not in a third world country like I was, and I'm far luckier than most who were born in third world countries. By definition that's a far better start for whites.

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Oh for...let's try this:
    Does that help you, or do I have to hold your hand even more?

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Whites are less likely to experience institutional discrimination on a economic, social, political and justice level. The system is designed to benefit and protect us (whites), not alienate or persecute.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Reading through this checklist is very interesting. Partly because of course as a white person most of those privileges apply to me...

But also because I found myself occasionally switching out "my race" for "my gender" in some cases. And then some definitely don't apply.

I think as a generalization, there's a reason many of the white people in this thread supporting POCs are women; we tend to understand the notion of being at a disadvantage because of something totally out of our control.

I have never, ever been pulled over by the cops. But I've been slapped on the ass by strangers, told to smile by random dudes passing on the sidewalk, and stalked by a middle-aged man at a mall. I certainly know what it's like to not feel safe when going out on my own.

I think this is something that even white men are kind of aware of, the fact that women they know need to be more careful on their own than men.

So it makes me wonder why, if most people acknowledge that at least to some degree as a terrible reality of being female, why many of the same people can't seem to accept that the same thing applies to all POC, especially those of darker skin tones.

Like if white suburban dads get that their teenage daughters need to be aware of creeps at the mall, why don't they get that all black people have to worry about similar things while out and about or while driving... But that instead of coming from random creeps, it comes from the cops. Which makes it so much worse.

Honestly, if you understand the need for self-defense classes for women, why can't you grasp that black parents have to teach their kids how to deal with cops carefully? And that this reflects a terrible disadvantage that they're at compared to white people?

The notion of White Privilege really is that simple.

Chewgumma, Valairy Scot, Rew and 6 others like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    There are a couple of factors at play here, both of which are very powerful.

The first is what I call "I/Me/My Syndrome." By that, I mean that an experience is more meaningful if I experienced it, it happened to Me, or to My (insert close relationship here). You see it all the time: I was against gun control until I got shot at. My family member/lifelong friend coming out as gay has caused me to reconsider my stance on homosexuality, etc. Conversely, experiences that happen to someone who is not "I/Me/My" are likely to be discounted and invalidated. Although you (collectively) are not off the hook, white women are more likely to be empathetic towards someone who has been devalued, disrespected and marginalized because they themselves have been devalued, disrespected, and marginalized. People are more protective of their wives and daughters (though there's some cultural conditioning pertaining to "the weaker sex" that needs to be unpacked also), because "My ____ could have an encounter with a creeper" is within their realm of thought. Conversely, if "I/Me/My" is unlikely to have a negative encounter with the police, white people (as a whole) seem unable to grasp that other people might have totally different experiences with police.

The other factor is what I'll call "Hero Syndrome." Everybody wants to be a hero. It's why everyone thinks they would've marched alongside Martin Luther King, Jr. back in the day, despite all evidence indicating that he was widely despised during his time. It's why lots of people have a fantasy that they would be the "good guy with a gun" during a mass shooting. Preparing for/opposing creepers is easy. It goes like this: The creeper coming for Me or My ____ is the villain. I am a hero. By thwarting a creeper, I confirm my status as the hero. Conversely, talking about police violence is hard. It goes like this: Police are heroes; they thwart villains. If someone has a bad run-in with the police, it's because they're a villain. After all, every time I/Me/My has an encounter with the police -which hardly if ever happens, because I'm not a villain- it all turns out pretty well, because heroes are nice to heroes. If police are heroes -and they are, because they stop villains and they're nice to me- and I speak/act in opposition, then I'm a villain, because villains oppose heroes. But I'm not a villain. So if you have a bad run-in with the heroes, it's because you're a villain, not them.

Make sense?

tom, Chewgumma, Valairy Scot and 6 others like this.
  19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    If we go around saying "white men are playing life on the easy" then of course white males are going to reject that. That's a funny idea, but it isn't really true. It's not like all white males have the easiest life.

If someone doesn't understand white privilage, particularly a white male, the goal shouldn't be to make them feel guilty.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there is a misinterpretation of the term “white privilege” as meaning “White people do not have to work as hard to earn money” or “White people never have difficult lives” or “White people do not face tragedy as much as people of color do, ever,” when that is not what it means at all.

All white privilege means is living in a society that was created by people who look like you and with norms that default to people who look like you. It’s not even a call to guilt. Recognition of white privilege is a way of empathizing with people who do not have it.

Example: I don’t feel guilty that I don’t have to worry about my 12-year-old son becoming another Tamir Rice if I send him to the park, but I can certainly listen to the mother of the black 12-year-old who does worry about it and empathize.

21. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    I agree with you Anakinfan, but I don't think that is how white privilage is taught. I had a diversity class in college where I was just there to he berated for being a white male. I felt like I was the target in a passive aggressive slugfest. I recognize that white folks statistically have it better off than others. But I also don't blame people for rejecting the idea of white privilage because it is so often misrepresented.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Let's dig deeper on this. What did they say that made you feel like you were being berated? In what ways do you think white privilege is being misrepresented?

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    No , again that's^ a conclusion , it just equates 'white' with the easy , it doesn't give examples or explanations of how it happens .
    The article you linked was an attempt to explain to people who don't really believe it that white privilege is a real thing , but it doesn't work because it doesn't give any RL examples or explain how it happens . It's like an explanation for people who already agree with the concept .

Don't patronise me :mad:, I've been civil to you I expect the same in return .

24. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    The class I took featured a guest speaker each week from a different minority. Some were better than others. Most of the speakers really didn't have many insights though. It really just amounted to them complaining about how much harder their lives were because of their minority status. There was a great effort to dramatize every story to have the maximum effect. The class then delved into the term "white privilage" attempting to prove how white people and white males in particular have it so much easier in nearly every aspect of life. This was disheartening, because I had white classmates in that very class who'd experienced great tragedy in their lives, and they were then being told they should be grateful for how much easier life is for them. The whole class felt like an attempt to make white people feel bad. It offered no solutions on how to fix problems, it was really an awful class.

I understand that white people 'statistically' have easier lives. I get that, and I feel I might have even benefited from it. But in reality, everybody's life is so varied. Some white people really do have a difficult life for many reasons, and then they're told "You're playing life on easy."

For the record, one of the speakers was a black man who spoke about his achievements and failures in life so far. He didn't seem to be blaming anyone, but he was honest about the times in which his skin color made an extra hurdle for him. This is the only speaker I really feel like I learned from. I didn't feel personally guilty when he stopped talking.

I think 'white privilege' is misrepresented because it is used by some as an attack on white people. To me it is a statistic, and I can respect that each individual has their own story and hardships. But if the term 'white privilege' is used to make white people feel bad... what good is it doing? And why are people surprised when the label of 'white privilege' becomes undesirable?

The goal shouldn't be to spread the blame, but instead to identify solutions.

gezvader28 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would say that the blame belongs to the people who think that racial profiling (whether via police pulling people over, redlining in real estate markets, or refusing college admission or employment to people with “ethnic” names) is perfectly acceptable, people who think we live in a “post-racial society”, and people who think that any discussion like this one is “race baiting,” not the white race as a whole.