main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I feel what the 'impossible aura for black people to project' is not saying they can't portray that 'aura of gentility' but actually referencing the fact too many white people's bias is so ingrained their brain just refuses to even entertain the idea of seeing black people that way.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Clueless European here with some questions:

* Have I understood it right that:
    - 'Latino' refer to more or less anybody from south of U.S.A. and decedent from people from there that keep notable parts of their original culture?
    - people from the Latin countries in Europe are not Latino?
    - Hispanic means that Spanish is your mother's tongue and has noting to do with where you are from or how you look, so Spaniards are Hispanics but Brazilians are not?
    - neither Latino nor Hispanic needs to mean PoC since there are Latinos/Hispanic that are (by USA's standard) black and other who are white?

* Also, something I have ben wondering about is that every time I see a discussion about Latinos in USA and language they only speak about Spanish, what about Portuguese or don't you get any migrants from Brazil?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If You See Black People, Say Something

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I would say you have it about right. Latino means people from south and central America and the Caribbean (though not the English or French-speaking parts). So yes that includes Brazil. Hispanic is anyone from a former Spanish colony or Spain regardless of race (the census asks you if you are white, not hispanic, because there are white Hispanics who just have more Spanish heritage than native).

Although Brazil is included in Latino, we don't talk about Brazil that much because most states have few Brazillian immigrants (Florida is probably an exception and gets a lot of Brazillian tourists as well).

So yes, I think you basically got it. It's worth noting that this is also basically how these terms work in Latin American Spanish. The big exception being that they'd just call all of us of all races "Americanos". And then there are "norteamericanos" and "estadounidenses" for people from the USA.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, this has been stirring on Facebook after I posted the photos. Anyhow, my good friend/sister accompanied me today as a bodyguard...and by today I mean 12:21 AM and 1:06 AM.

I went to the Confederate war memorial in Pioneer Park (downtown Dallas), and I utilized yellow and white chalk to write, "Black Lives Matter," on the so-called monument itself. My initial plan was to do so in front of the thing, but I elected on the spot to put it on the damn thing. Of course, we had paid $7 in a very-close-by hotel parking lot for a space. We immediately departed from that area. Artistically, the statues of Lee, the other generals, and Davis were quite bland. I'm glad the city of Dallas removed the grand-looking statue of Lee last September, but my specific act earlier was to all them to remove the insidious white supremacist statues by the cemetery park.

Thereafter, we went to the parking lot for the Sixth Floor Museum. We proceeded to step a few feet to Dealey Plaza, and I utilized pink chalk to write, "End Rape Culture." It took me a tad longer to exact this statement. Every time cars drove by, I stood and paused in the shadow next to the wall. We then swiftly departed from downtown. That parking only cost $8.

It was all worth it. My activists friends rejoiced. I imagine this action will be reviled by some in downtown Dallas itself. I know the parking lot cameras picked my friend and me up. But the security guard for the Sixth Floor Museum did nothing as we exited the second parking lot. I imagine it's still there.

blackmyron, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    People are very strange. Racism should be considered deviant, I think. When reports came out about how George Zimmerman threatened to feed people to alligators, I was horrified.

Obviously, we all know that Zimmerman should have been sentenced to life in prison for killing Trayvon all those ago. But Zimmerman and his supporters want to safeguard his racism, his hate, as a right or some sort of noble example. Well, his beliefs are perverse. Many of us know that here. He's nothing but a thug who should have been jailed long ago for killing an innocent kid and frightening so many. He's an idiot. The judicial system failed in another instance.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    here's one from the ****hole that is duke university

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/pissbaby-duke-administrator-gets-baristas-fired-for-lis-1825884429
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article210735884.html

administrator (vp of student affairs) attended an on-campus coffee shop (joe van gogh), didn't like the rap music being played in the shop, told african-american barista he was offended, she turned it off/apologized/offered him free tea and muffin, he pressured the vendor to fire barista and her colleague.

vendor has since apologized: https://www.joevangogh.com/blogs/joe-van-gogh-coffee/an-apology-from-robbie-roberts

**** this guy.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, that guy's a ****, but personally if I were him I'd be more offended about Young Dolph’s “Get Paid” being emblematic of the current sad, sorry state of today's rap music.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    terrible popular rap music goes back to vanilla ice and mc hammer. thankfully, it's always coexisted alongside good stuff.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    True. Thank the maker for ways to find better music. Seemed nigh impossible when I was younger. So a lot of people got pigeonholed into genres.

Jedi Merkurian , heels1785 and tom like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    MC Hammer was not bad rap.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes juliet, we know about your musical taste.

Point Given likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I do agree about Vanilla Ice though.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Those trousers were unforgivable tho .

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    As most terrible fads often are.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    tom is just jealous. The Lord may have blessed him with a mind to rhyme, but He did not bless tom with two hype feet.

@J-Rod would love MC Hammer.

But he'd like Bobby Brown even more.

Now that's a message J-Rod can get behind.

Plus video with Trump cameo at 1:02

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

MC Hammer was a gangster of sorts. Which isn't played up nearly enough which would've helped him to keep his career alive.

Sorry for going off-topic.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    There has been a great deal of controversy over Childish Gambino's video, This is America. Some call it brilliant, since it encapsulates the oppression experienced by many in America. Others believe it may have taken this message too far, or perhaps, that it was self-parodying to an extent. I concur with those who say that it is a representation of the oppression that too many suffer in this country. Some do have it easy here, but those who have that privilege are too few in number.

Making a society better involves education. The less racism, the less oppression, etc., the better. Without that, there would be less economic inequality and other societal ills.

Lastly, hear me out. I liked The Game's song, My Life, that featured Lil Wayne back in 2008. I felt that people deserved better than to suffer while society ignored them. Economic oppression is often tied to race. I just cannot fathom why someone's skin color led to all these atrocities. It would have been nice if our species had gotten over this before the Roman era. It's mature; it's criminal; it's evil. Racism, or any prejudice, affects everyone, and the Golden Rule/equality should be a popular concept. I appreciate how many of us long for such a better world. Thank you.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Excuse you?

MC Hammer is good. Juliet is correct. I think all people quite enjoy "Can't Touch This."

CT-867-5309, solojones, Rew and 2 others like this.
  23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Personally, I am overly fond of Rihanna's 2009 album, Rated R. In her way, she's bouncing back from a tragedy, proving that she always had the power, and the man who hit her had none of it.

I know Rihanna has many haters. But I often find myself listening to that album on the same days I listen to Lady Gaga's. It's empowering.

I have a heavy bias toward Evanescence, TBM, and Sharon den Adel, as you know. But listening to Rihanna crush and slay is always a joy. #watchit He he he. They can say whatever. I'ma do whatever!

And, of course, G4L. We['re] an army; better yet a navy; better yet crazy!

I just like how she is basically saying that no one will ever abuse us in those lyrics. They will cower.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Rew likes this.
  24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Pre-mainstream Hammer is pretty good :cool:. In other news...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/yale-student-napping-black-trnd/index.html

A lot to unpack from this incident. First off is that the first response from the white student is “You don’t belong here. I’m calling the cops.” And then there’s the fact that the police didn’t believe the black student even after she used her dorm key to unlock her her room and showed them her student ID; as if someone would go through all that fakery just for the privilege of being able to fall asleep in an Ivy League common room :rolleyes:

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm surprised they didn't taze her or at least shoot a limb. My faith in 'authority'...is at a negative.