main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw that video on my feed. What ****ing idiot thought that kid looked like a teenager? He is obviously a little boy.

My youngest is 11; if anyone were to scare him badly enough to make him wet his pants when he’s doing nothing but playing outside, I will be the one getting arrested for what I do next, and I don’t give a flying **** what kind of uniform the person scaring him is wearing.

This is ridiculous and not at all defensible. Police departments need the same diversity training that Starbucks employees just got, or that I got from the school system.

Jedi Ben, solojones, Rew and 4 others like this.
  2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    C'mon...'mistaken'? Psh...while I use Hanlon's razor on most things, I'd say that the evidence by now shows that police know exactly what they're doing and they're as evil and thuggish as they appear.

3. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    This part confuses me, because it would seem to mean that the cops mistook a 10 year old not for a teenager, but for a 12 year old.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "We get out of the car, he starts running, that's why he's in handcuffs."

With all the cops killing, shooting, beating unarmed POC, why on earth would any POC, especially a young black boy run? These thugs with badges have to be held accountable, though of course they will be deemed having done nothing wrong.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A lot of kids will run if they see several strange adults approaching them.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-police-investigate-officers-cuffing-of-10-year-old-boy/

My guess is that the cops thought they were making a safe assumption that Michael was one of those "five little black boys with all blue on", ages ranging 10 to 12. The whole teenager thing could have just been a tipper saying the leader of the group was the oldest.

If the tips were credible, then yikes. Find that gun and get rid of it.

I hope Michael can work through this and proceed normally in life. <3 thoughts

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest: A Thousand Ways To Kneel And Kiss The Ground
    "Last week, the NFL announced a new policy to penalize players who kneel during the national anthem. The announcement drew fresh attention to the century-old tightrope that outspoken black athletes — from Floyd Patterson to Rose Robinson to Colin Kaepernick – have had to walk in order to compete and live by their principles"

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    False rape accusation lands woman in jail...

45 days in jail and two years probation. Too harsh, reasonable, or not harsh enough?

And seriously with the placement of "blacked out" in that first paragraph. Come on.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there should be some penalty for making an accusation, especially of a felony, that is proven to be false. I think there is a standing penalty for filing a police report under false pretenses but I’m not sure what it is. And I’ve always said that defense lawyers in rape cases should not ask about the woman’s sexual history or what she had been drinking or wearing that night; they should look at whether she has a history of lying and making false accusations.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    She even admitted it was a false report, so yeah she should be punished, regardless. I'm leaning toward it not being harsh enough.

Jedi Ben, Pensivia, solojones and 2 others like this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Political Pundit Says "Some Blacks Find Immigration Detention Centers Better Than Public Housing

From the article:
    I think I found the guy she was talking to...

[​IMG]

And lest we forget that cops killing unarmed blacks is still a thing. Here's a case where a police officer shot an unarmed and fleeing 17 year old in the back...90 minutes after being sworn into office...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  14. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I feel like instead of painting black people as insensitive to the plight of undocumented youth, the woman should have instead said:

"I just spoke with an African-American male who told me that as awful as those detention centers are, he's seen conditions as bad or worse in the "projects" - as he called them - throughout the country. I may question that claim, but the fact that a person of color in this country can say and mean it says to me that no matter whether their claim is true or false, we're clearly doing something wrong here in America. The US claims to be a place where we take your yearning masses and make them anew. Let's do that, for both those already here and those who have not yet arrived."

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    But that’s not what happened tho o_O[face_coffee]

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Since moving back to Missouri, I've already met several black coworkers who like country music and we bonded over that.

I definitely think there are black country fans, but they probably rightly feel out of place or scared to go to some country concerts.

I haven't heard of this artist (really I don't follow much modern country) but I will give her a listen.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's a very weird and long-standing division, but not one without precedent. In an era where white Christian rappers are classified as "Christian contemporary" I strain to understand how these genres are shaped beyond the first word in that descriptor.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Interesting. As @solojones put it -and Renea agrees in the article- it's not that some black people don't like country music, it's that they're afraid for their safety in going to concerts. On the topic of black people and music, it reminds me of a comedy routine (profanity warning):

In other news, a Fox News commentator whitesplains hate speech to a black man, using a racially-charged term to do so, because of course he would. EDIT: Protip: Don't ever use "cotton-picking" when speaking to or about a black person. Just don't. When even Fox News says your comments are "deeply offensive and wholly inappropriate" you know you done ****ed up.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    TCF-1138 , ShaneP, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never thought about it because I've spent zero seconds in my life thinking about country music...but it seems pretty obvious. Why the hell would a black person want to go to a concert that will be full of white Americans that "respect the flag" while also sporting a Confederate flag in the back of their pickup truck in the parking lot?

Thanks for this, this cracked me up.

You think this just...black folks been trying...issues...we sat...we INVENTED THE BLUES. I like how he basically has a stroke trying to explain how obvious it was.

I LOVE when a comedian anticipates my response. What about Living in America? LOL, he thought of it! As soon as he finished singing it Apollo Creed died in the ring. It's a sad song. Michael B. Jordan lost his daddy that day. LOL.

I've actually brought up this point about black music to my white friends of my age. All this stuff about police brutality? It was in all the rap music we grew up on. It was in the movies. It was universal. It was right there. It wasn't made up, it was a universal black experience being expressed through art.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Roy Wood Jr. is awesome all around.

TCF-1138 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    need a subscription for that , could you tell us a bit more .

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The opening chapter of one of her books says that there were no people living in the west... "only Indians."