main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Nobody ever talks about the Spanish colonizing America. Unless you're in history class I guess.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Anyone have any thoughts regarding the whole Trevor Noah and "Africa wining the world cup" controversy? I find it really interesting. So basically what happened was Trevor Noah said that Africa won the world cup due to most members of the French team being of African descent. This joke caused quite a stir, where progressives said that such a comment only gives fuel to the alt right in Europe, who believe that people from African descent are not European. Those far right people are lauding this comment saying they are proven right. The French Ambassador to the US wrote Noah a letter reaffirming the Frenchness of the people on the team. Noah did a response to the whole thing

Idk what to think about this. I mean on the one hand Noah is right that culture is important to the Frenchmen of African descent. On the other hand this type of comment helps out the far right.

Is there a way to say make this point that Noah made in the joke in a better way and should he have?

(that said watching a bunch of "woke" white american liberals saying Noah is right 100% has gotten annoying)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    SuperWatto likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Interestingly enough, in my feed this morning, the Alliance Française de Charlotte posted a copy of the French Ambassador’s letter, and that post appeared directly under Trevor’s response from Between the Scenes.

I have mixed feelings about it. I thought Noah and several others initially had a good point about how celebrating the World Cup win should go along with efforts to reduce xenophobia in France. However, without knowing much about the individual World Cup players, they are just as French as any native-born, white-skinned French citizen/national. Just as the Guatemalan family who have been my neighbors for 13 years (and been in the US longer than that) are just as American as I am.

Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can't watch the video right now, but...

This did cross my mind, because of the number of players on the French team with African descent, and the fact France won, vs the African teams which had a dismall world cup on the whole. I put this down to the facilities and training available in france vs most of Africa.

These days, under FIFA rules players can play for any international team they have a clear connection to the country - this means a number of things, but the main example is playing for any country you, your parents or your grandparents are born in. All of that to say, most if not all of those French players chose to play for France, rather than whatever African country they were from. Whether that's because they felt more French, thought they had a better chance of winning things or whatever reason I don't know.

So I don't think it's fair to say Africa won the world cup.

I don't know if I'm woke or racist, but whatever.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    On the german podcast AfricaLink (it's in English) they did mention that many African countries did see Franc win as a win for them or tried to claim the victory for themself

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I can only speak for myself but if I were to win a competition on behalf of the U.S. and someone said it was a win for India or Malaysia (where my parents were born) I'd be ticked off.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Noah is wrong because said French players of African descent say he's wrong and they proudly claim to be French.

All of our side are French nationals, all but two of them were born in France and the two who weren't moved there at the age of 2.

Rew likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It sounds like part of Noah's "I'm going to mention I'm African at every opportunity" schtick that helped turn me off of his Daily Show. I'm surprised it got any attention in France. Is he popular there?

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    But he stopped doing that when he started his Daily Show...

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I’ve seen pretty much every episode since he took over, and I can only think of his mentioning that he was African maybe 4-5 times. Once when Donna Brazile asked him to run for President and he said, ‘Nah, I actually do have an African birth certificate,’ and the other 3-4 times when he was comparing Trump to an African dictator.

I’ve also seen him live; he did mention it there in an anecdote about his mother and an experience eating off a taco truck when he got here.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    When he started he definitely did it fairly often, and he had a general "amused, detached foreigner" demeanor I didn't like. I don't know if it's changed because I stopped watching after a few months.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You know, the format of the comedy show really works against his argument here. He's reading the letter with a funny French accent; thereby mocking all French, including the players. He also mocks average white guy with the old Eddie Murphy average white guy voice. It doesn't seem very effective if you want to promote understanding between nationalities.
    I don't know how effective these shows are anyway. It seems that they're singularly preaching to their own crowd.

Of course the French government reacts this way. They would be stupid not to. It's all in a day's work. I don't think it means much to them.

To chide them for not being consistent with the labeling French/African is a strawman. That's not the government doing that.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I'm sure many people have seen the story of the black man who, after shoving an aggressive white guy to the ground because he was harassing the first guy's girlfriend, was shot to death. And then the crazy white guy, who shot a guy who was moving away from him, was not charged because of Stand Your Ground and ****ing Florida.

I bring up their races because I absolutely think it's a factor. Does anyone not get charged for responding to a push from a white father by shooting him in the chest? Doubtful.

This is just utterly sickening to me. And you know what? Even the National Review says good gun owners should be outraged. Because you can't punish a shove with the death penalty.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Even worse a shove that you provoke. Talk about opening the door for all sorts of nutters.

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I never read or heard of him until today. Does that answer the question? :p He just happens to be at the intersection of a large number of people across several countries who were plain wrong, and beautifully reminded by Mendy of how our players feel.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Rew likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The thing with the France thing is... I definitely made comments during the WC that it's ironic that suddenly a fairly racist French populist supports immigrants and the sons of immigrants only when they're winning a WC for them.

But I think that's inherently different than what Noah is saying. I'm mocking French racists. He's actually feeding them by saying these guys are really African after all.

17. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    God..... you can't make a joke about anything these days without someone being "offended".....

It's a ****ing joke people, get over it.

Much bigger issues in life than to get all snowflaky and uptight over what a comedian says.

J-Rod likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't really care that much about his joke and am not up in arms about it. I am responding to the right wing people who praised it, and that it's kinda dumb to feed the trolls.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    No matter what you joke about some idiots going to get offended or take it to heart as supporting there cause.

Either we stop all jokes or like me say F it and don't care, let people get offended or read into to things, if you don't like it watch another comedian

Political correctness and humour do not go together and never will.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FTFY. And you're doing a fine job.

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I already don't watch this comedian so good for me?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I will continue to watch him, and I don’t think he meant any harm or even meant to be “politically incorrect”—I actually thought he was taking a jab at French racists and it backfired. But I can see why it backfired. It’s not the first time that’s happened to a comedian, probably not the first time it’s happened to Noah, and it won’t be the last.

Iron_lord and solojones like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly. It was a thoughtless accident. I don't think anyone here is particularly up in arms.

24. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Memphis Police Spying on Activists is Worse Than We Thought

This stands out...

There wasn't much else for them to encroach upon by the time they were called out, short of planting cams in random peoples' homes because they just felt like it.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Holy ****. Seriously is this just 1968 again??