main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Racial Double Standards

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Suzuki_Akira, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    My point, Horax, is that a majority of people of one race at a university does NOT constitute racism.

I don't quite understand that graph. What is the Y-axis and the X-axis?

2. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Did you even read my post above?

You didn't answer my question.

I have white friends who applied to Grambling, and got shot down becuase they DID NOT FIT THE DEMOGRAPHIC. That means they got shot down cause they're white!

I've seen it happen personally. You can't talk about what you don't know or understand.

3. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Why did these people apply to Grambling? SAT/GPA?

4. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    They wanted to go there cause they had family in the region. These were people who had scholarships to several other colleges, and eventually went to other schools. They were very smart, played sports, and participated in tons of outside interests. (Not the KKK). :)

Would you please answer my question posed above?

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Einstein's father was an entreprenuer with a wife who stayed with him, forcing him to study so that even at the age of four he could do quadratic equations.

Where on earth did you get that from ? His parents thought he was retarded, and didn't give him any home schooling. He constantly underperformed at school, and ended up in a dead-end job in a patent office before seeking further education himself.

This can't be explained by "lazyness"

I'm really sorry, but I don't get the point you are trying to make there. All that shows is that a high percentage of blacks think that they have bad jobs because of discrimination.

6. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    My point, Horax, is that a majority of people of one race at a university does NOT constitute racism.

True. When individuals are and are not selected for college enrollment because of their race and/or ethncicity is racism.

7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Universities affirmative action policies are not about race, they are about diversity.

That's a good point, OWM, but at what cost, and using what criteria?

Let me offer a personal story, which I'll admit right away isn't scientific in any way.

During one of the first police officer tests I took, for a suburb North of Chicago, the personnel Sgt laid out the criteria for acceptance, part of which was a written test.

The passing score for white applicants was 80%
    The passing score for Hispanic applicants was 75%
    The passing score for black applicants was 70%

And the Sgt even made a joke "if anyone is American Indian, come up front right now, and we'll just give you the job."

Now, I scored a 95% on the test anyway, but they were also weighted, based on race, so the results for the senority list ended up looking like this: (they start with #1 and hire downward, until the positions are full)

1)applicant 1-hispanic 97%
    2)applicant 2 white 98%
    3)me-95%
    4)applicant 4-black 83%
    5)applicant 5-white 91%
    6)applicant 6 black 76%
    7applicant -white 83%

Now, 2 problems immediately crop up under this system:

1)It is based on perception of race, which is difficult to quantify. If someone "looked" black, and called themselves black, they were given preference over someone who looked "white."

And how much "blackness" equals being black? Is someone from the Dominican Republic who has darker skin more "black" than a light skined person from African Guinea?

2)The people who scored worse on the test, but were given credit based on a arbitrary trait, where exceedingly unqualified for the job.

This isn't tied to race, as any individual can be qualified for the job, but it simply doesn't make sense to promote a person who scored a 76% above a person who scored a 83%.

Unfortunately, when such underqualifed people are artifically advanced, it serves to reinforce such racial stereotypes, regardless of the person's actual race.

Not only that, but how does it affect that person's psyche?

If I knew I only scored a 70%, and was underqualified for a job, I would still feel inadequate when I was offered that job, instead of personally meeting the standards.

Is that's the individual's fault, or an inequality in the system?

That's why I support the military's policy on racial attitudes.

The qualifications are tied to the position, not the individual.

If you want to go to Airborne School, for example, you have to score at least a 210 on the physical test. It doesn't matter what race a person is, but all those who meet the criteria are given a chance.

Or- A Captain's authority is tied to that rank. It doesn't matter if the person is white, black, or green, all Captains have that authority.

A black officer isn't given "slightly more" authority to make up for some past injustice.

Such practices serve to promote racial diversity and equality more than artifical constraints ever could.

8. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Horax, if you don't give me their SAT/GPA then there's not much I can do in the way of answering you. Or do you want me to assume that their automatically better than those already in the college?

Malkie, Einstein never gave a crap about school, but he did a lot of outside studying on his own on philosophy, math, and science. He graduated in physics before going to that "dead end job".

9. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Incorrect Malkie,

Did anyone read the top of the graph?

It states as a fact that on average blacks have worse housing, jobs etc.

Then they asked both blacks and whites why thy think that was (descrimination?)

Now it's interesting that the people who aren't in the worse housing and job situations on average (whites) don't really think discrimination has much to do with it. But the ones who actualy experience it know better.

Thats the point.

10. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I will not, for one second, say that I like Affirmative Action as it is now. That is to say, it has a lot of improving to do. But I do not believe that it should be outlawed either.

11. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I don't remember what their scores were, dude, this was over 12 years ago.

Aren't you going to answer my question?

12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    No, unless you find some way to convince me that they were more than good enough for the school. Otherwise, you're just as racist as any pusher of Affirmative Action. In fact, moreso.

13. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I believe that Bill Cosby was correct when he said that the more that minoritites hold onto affirmative action and other social 'crutches,' the more they keep themselves down. It had a purpose, and the purpose has been served, but now it's time to take off the training wheels and go.

14. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    Now you're saying I'm racist because I can't support what their scores were?

Get real.

You're not going to answer my question about the white man who got fired so a black man could take his job?

Are you scared of the truth?

That scenario happened to my father after working with the company for over 29 years. He was the top manager, and was being promoted to Regional Manager, but then affirmative action came into play, and he got demoted so a black man who HAD NO COLLEGE DEGREE OR EXPERIENCE could be the new manager. First thing the guy did was demote my father, and my father left the company.

You can't tell me that that's what affirmative action is all about.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Incorrect Malkie

No, it states "on average". Besides, it's a graph created in MS Paint, can it honestly be taken seriously? Furthermore, it's a measurement of opinion, not of fact.

Malkie, Einstein never gave a crap about school, but he did a lot of outside studying on his own on philosophy, math, and science. He graduated in physics before going to that "dead end job".

EXACTLY! He didn't care, but bothered himself to get off his ass at a later date and do something about it. He made his chance, he worked hard, and he got there.

16. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    And some demographics of these "racist" colleges:

Howard University: 16% White

Tuskegee Institute: 6% White

Jacksonville University: 74% White

EDIT: Malkie, that's what the goal of Affirmative Action is. To give people that up(Einstein's college admission even with his poor high school performance) so that they can do the rest themselves.

Horax, that type of Affirmative Action isn't okay. And are you afraid that your friends might just not have been good enough to get in? Of course it has to be because they were white...if so you're no better than any black people who say the same things. In some cases, it's worse.

17. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    For the record, I did not say they were racist colleges. I just said that white people are not accepted.

What's the white population at Grambling or Spelman?

18. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    What's the white population in the town of Grambling?

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    EDIT: Malkie, that's what the goal of Affirmative Action is. To give people that up(Einstein's college admission even with his poor high school performance) so that they can do the rest themselves.

No it isn't. It's to up the chances of minorities.

20. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    Referring to an elementary school near to Grambling State U...

Alma J. Brown Elementary is open to kindergarten through fifth grade students in Lincoln Parish and surrounding parishes. The total enrollment is 223. The population is 99% African-American. Of the total enrollment, 85.2% of the students participate in the free and reduced lunch program. The population of this rural community of about 5,600 is predominantly African-American. Although a historically black university is located in the center of the community, most families have incomes ranging from lower to average. The religious orientation of the community is varied.

The family, church, and community agencies help to encourage the students to become capable, self-sufficient, and independent individuals. The community is actively involved in the school through parent conferences, Open House, Parent-Teacher Association, school programs, and classroom volunteers. Throughout the year, special events (i.e., contests, visits, guest speakers) are planned and/or hosted by retired educators, business partnerships, University personnel, and civic and social organizations.

EDIT:
    I just checked out gramblings web site, and they say you need a 17 ACT or 810 SAT to get in. I scored a LOT higher than that on both of them, and my friends did better than I did.

I had a 28 ACT and 1240 SAT, so there's no reason they should have been left out.

21. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    MS Paint? Which graphics program will you accept statics from?

Boy Malkie, that was a good one. You made me laugh.

22. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    And you wonder why there aren't all that many whites who go there? Most in that area are black, and that's a University that usually features home area students.

Spelman College: 3% Non-Black (I'm assuming Hispanics and Whites makes up that three percent.)

23. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Mr. 44, I agree with you there, man, that is whack.

I have no problem with say a company seeking to recruit more african americans with elite college degrees, but what you described seems horribly wrong.

Once you are in, you should have to compete at the same level. I mean, if in college a black or hispanic only had to score a 75 to get an A while a white student had to get a 90, well then yes, that would be TOTALLY whack.

So there is a right way and a wrong way. I just fear people take examples like yours, which I agree should be ended, and think that's how it works everywhere.

And anyone who thinks its worse to be White than any other race in this country has no idea how nice it is to not really think about your race as an issue for the most part of your life.

24. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    Has anybody here looked into how many "Minority Only" scholarships are available compared to "White Only?"

It's a ridiculous number, but luckily I don't need a scholarship anymore. When I looked back in 1993, there was a database that was 8 times larger than what I, as middle class white male could get.

Doesn't make sense.

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Horax, I agree with you then. They probably should have been admitted. I'm assuming that they were either in athletics or clubs too, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.