main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Racism in ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by sushimilk, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    I would have to Padme for some hot loving. or maybe one of the handmaidens! sorry, i'll shut up now.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    edit: removed, off topic

3. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    edit: removed, off topic

4. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005

Nice.:rolleyes:

5. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    You could try to limit the personal attacks on GL and especially his daughters. They may not realize the users posting it are nothing more than superficial internet cowards trying to make themselves feel better.

6. PowerUnlimitedPower

PowerUnlimitedPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    yes^^^ , i really don't understand why people use the internet in a way , that would get them slapped in person.[face_shame_on_you]

7. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    More than slapped in many instances. And it certainly wouldn't do wonders for anyone's self esteem.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  9. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    ^^^ but who asked your opinion ?. and who wants it?. try to keep things relevant and on topic.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  11. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    * sighs * as well

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    A hundred miles and still runnin...

13. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    What are you guys 2 years old?
    Is it recess or something?

14. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    No racism! True, brutha Mace bit it hard and ugly, but SLJ knew going in that almost all of the Jedi die before the end of the PT. He publically stated that he just wanted to go out in a blaze of glory, plus he got his bad*** purple light saber, did the Ginzu on Jango Fett, and fought Palps into a corner before that whiney little Anakin sliced and dice his saber hand.

Lando definitely played to stereotypes in TESB as a slick, womanizing opportunist, only to turn those very stereotypes on their head by becoming a major character hero by the end of ROTJ. Hugh Quarshie who plays Captain Panaka is also a hero type as Padme's chief of security. And who could marginalize the great JEJ, the timeless voice of Vader?

Jar Jar? Get over him. He was supposed to appeal to the kiddies as comedic relief. The Neimoidians seemed to sound oriental, but they had no noses for crying out loud. You try talking normal without a nose. And some think the Toydarian Watto sounded Bronx-Jewish . . . yoi!

Perhaps our own hangups and biases are being transferred to the SW characters. Racism? Nah!

15. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    Perhaps our own hangups and biases are being transferred to the SW characters.

Your insights serve you well my friend. Every single time I see the "racism" flag thrown at SW it's by someone with an agenda.

16. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Well said.
    I think sometimes what people mistake for racisim is actually
    GL accenuating and celebrating cultural differences.

Lando and Mace are smooth operators!
    So is the majority of black guys I know.
    I wish I could always be open like that.

People of different ethnic backgrounds do have differences
    but it's not necisserily a bad thing.

Theres a BIG difference between accentuating differences
    and using stereotypes.

17. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    If this thread can't get back on topic either the offenders will be banned or the thread itself will be locked. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to be mature and stop taking pot shots and Lucas' kids. This is meant to be a serious discussion.

18. YellowSaberMaster

YellowSaberMaster Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah, he probably would have. But then SW in general wouldn't be as popular as it turned out, because GL would have introduced Jar-Jar in EP4, and then there would never have been an EP5 due to all the 'hate Jar-Jar' sentiment.

(It still would have been cool to see Thrawn though, all things considered.)

BTW, Why the hell are we talking about racism in SW on MLK,JR's b-day? THEY'RE MOVIES, dammit.
    IMHO Mace Windu was one of the best characters in all of the 6 movies, and it wasn't because he was black.

19. TK9993

TK9993 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2006
    Wasn't it kind of known that the Empire didn't allow any non-humans as soldiers, captains, etc.
    I believe that's why Thrawn was so strange to show up, because nobody believed they would promote someone different.
    It would also go with the fact that Anakin hated Sandpeople and saw them only as monsters.

/just sayin

20. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004
    Look, we could argue this all day, but the reason why Anakin doesn't like Mace is because he's a ****.

End of story.

yeah you can't say that

21. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000

Racism is nowhere to be found in ROTS. You say Sidious referred to Yoda as "green". In TPM Qui-Gon said to Watto, 'Patience, my little blue friend'. And that doesn't reference racism at all. As far as Mace and Anakin goes, Skywalker always referred to Mace as 'Master' like he would any other Jedi Master. Anakin knows Yoda is on another planet campaigning in the Clone Wars so he's simply not available. Mace is well respected within the Jedi Order and is o Coruscant the entire time so that's who Anakin runs to.

22. sushimilk

sushimilk Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    i think people are misinterpretting the whole topic all together.
    im referring to racism amongst the characters themselves, and not IRL.
    when qui gonn said my little blue friend, there wasnt an emphasis on blue, like sids placed the emphasis on GREEN.
    with that said, we know yoda is green, same as everyone knows mace windu is black.
    would palps have said to mace...."I've waited a long time for this my black friend"...
    maybe, maybe not.
    the point i was trying to make is within the sith characters themselves or even dark jedi, there was hate, that hate is descriptive sometimes as we can see it in the series.
    of course this isnt a racism factor like in todays world, but a type of prejudice nonetheless.
    remember anakin as a boy when padme approached and said, "youre a slave?"..he was quite upset. "im a person and my name is anakin"

Amongst the star wars fiction mind you...there has to be some personality behind the characters to bring them to life. After all they are all living breathing beings and sure some of them probably think their race is better than the other.
    but as u can see in rotj...it takes many races to unite against 2 sith.

23. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    I for one haven't seen it in the movies, but it was stated time and time again that Palpatine aloowed only humans to become admirals. Thrawn was the only Grand Admiral that was an alien.
    That is pretty much the only example of prejudice I can think of, in conection with STar Wars.

24. acrovader

acrovader Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2005
    Racism in ROTS?

Jesse Jackson could not be reached for comment.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If we see one more off topic joke, we will start handing out bans. Any takers?

[image=http://www.riverblue.com/hughes/gleasonnew1.jpg]

"Don't mess with the bull or you'll get the horns."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.