main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Radio Dramas

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BLUE-HARVEST, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUE-HARVEST

BLUE-HARVEST Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2004
    Okay, quick question... What are y'all's opinions on radio dramas for the prequels? Yay or nay? Has anyone out there besides me heard the OT dramatizations?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really enjoyed the Radio dramas for the original trilogy, but I don't think that it would really work for the new ones.

3. BLUE-HARVEST

Oct 28, 2004
    Well, I didn't see any possible way that the OT would have worked as a radio drama, either, until I actually heard it. Brian Daly did wonders. I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there that could figure it out!

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, also on a ratings note- not many people listen to the radio like they did a couple decades ago.

5. BLUE-HARVEST

Oct 28, 2004
    True, but the OT radio dramas didn't exactly come out during the "Golden Age" (1920's through 1950's) of radio, either, and yet they broke all kinds of radio-listening records. I think that they could still do well. And they'd probably do well when released on CD, too.

6. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Also, the BBC is doing radio drama of the last three Hitchhiker's novels--why not SW, too?

7. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    I've got a radio drama script of TPM all written out whenever anyone wants to try it (and I'm working on an AOTC one, too).

8. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The ANH one was great, and the Empire one was nearly as good. The ROTJ one was not as good as the previous two, but I did like the two EU references.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have the ESB Radio drama, and also the Dark Empire and Dark Empire II audio dramas. I like all 3 a lot. I would probably pass on a TPM drama but I would go for an AOTC one.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's been said there is interest in the possibility, but nothing is in motion at the moment, due to the film productions.

11. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    I think that the radio dramas were done excellently well, and they're awesome to keep you company on long drives.

As an aspiring writer I fantasize about how I might get in touch with George Lucas about scripting PT radio dramas....anyone have any ideas, let me know...I'll cut you in for a piece.

As far as whether or not they'd go over...its all about marketing. At the time the OT Radio Dramas came out there was some nostalgia for the golden age of radio that fed into it. Now, I think you might have to do it differently and do it as a webcast or something, maybe some streaming audio from a star wars radio network on the official website or something...I then it would be groundbreaking and innovative, which is what Star Wars has always been.

12. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    So much of the prequel trilogy so far has been about eye candy and special effects. I wonder how all of that would translate into a radio drama. Would it even be interesting?

13. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    So much of the prequel trilogy so far has been about eye candy and special effects. I wonder how all of that would translate into a radio drama. Would it even be interesting?

A lot of the "eye candy" in the Prequel Trilogy has detracted from the overall story telling, IMO. I think it would be very possible to flesh things out a little more. Remember, ANH was a 2 hour movie expanded into a 13 hour radio play. Imagine what you could do with TPM and AOTC if you could expand the story to 6 times what it is now!

14. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    That's true, they did throw in a bunch of interesting stuff in the OT radio dramas. My comment was simply saying that if you strip the PT stories of the flashy special effects, there might not be much story to go by in radio fashion. I suppose you could elaborate quite a bit though, and that would be super.

15. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah, I'm envisioning scenes in TPM of little boy Anakin on Tattooine, his early pod races, maybe he was even plagued by nightmares way back then, as a foreshadowing of his fall to Vader...you could have a lot of fun with it.

I would do anything to write these...I wonder how Brian Daley got the job from George Lucas?

16. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    ANH was only a 6 hour radio play, not 13.

ROTJ was even shorter, at 3 hours, reportedly because it was more of an action film than the other two. I suspect any PT radio dramas would be of comparable length.

17. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    ANH was only a 6 hour radio play, not 13.

you are of course correct...I misspoke about the run time...it was 6 hours and 13 episodes.

Please excuse me while I wipe the egg from my face!

18. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not sure about PT radio dramas, especially without Brian Daley. He wrote the script for the first three, and I think RoTJ was pretty good. But then that's the only one I've heard. With him no longer with us, I feel any other author would have a lot to live up to.

19. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    I remember listening to the Star Wars radio dramas on NPR when I was a kid--we still listened to Prairie Home Companion, and it came on afterwards.

I would love to see the PT done as a radio drama. I would definitely love to listen to them. Anyone remember the books on tape of Dark Empire? Those were pretty good too--the sound effects were cool.

~Carr

20. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Luceno's the likely choice, were they ever to make them, especially considering his friendship with Daley. If not him, then Stover.

I recall the DE ones, the writing fleshed out a lot of things from the comics barely touched upon, but the voice acting was....subpar.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was about to say that Luceno is the most logical choice to write the PT Radio Dramas.

I think another factor that restricted ROTJ's run time was budget concerns. (remember, it took them 13 years to scrap together the money and figure out how to get it done)

There's room for the PT films to be expanded- think of side stories like the Episode 1 Adventures comics (I'd love to see that Qui-Gon one integrated). More scenes with Maul and the Trade Federation. I could imagine them giving Dooku a cameo in it as well, at Qui-Gon's funeral or something. Maybe throw Nym in there for good measure.

AOTC has tons of room for expansion- all the Coruscant scenes, more stuff on Kamino perhaps, they could expand upon Anakin's various stops in the search for his mother, and plenty of room for Geonosis battle scenarios from trooper or Jedi perspectives.

22. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I'd like to see them, especially if they were up to the standard of the OT ones.

Luceno would be a good choice, with someone to help him out with the scripts (I'm not sure if he has ever done any scripting before.)

He certainly knows the background to the PT through his work on the visual dictionaries, Labyrinth of Evil and Cloak of Deception. He also loves including EU references in his work, which is what we'd all like to see ;)

23. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I really enjoyed the OT radio dramas, and would like to see PT dramas as well.

The EU made some very decent audio dramas as well, like Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords of the Sith, but I'd like to see the PT dramas be even better qualitywise :)

24. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    I agree. I really enjoyed the ANH radio drama, and the ESB radio drama played out well, and to mirror the films became my favorite of all 3. The ROTJ drama was my least favorite. I felt the voice acting was subpar and the script was rushed. I attribute that to the fact that Brian Daley was in poor health as well as the budget constraints that came into play.

On the whole though...I'd really like to see the PT become a radio drama. In fact...I really would love to script them...if only I could get in contact with LFL...but either way, I think it would be a worthwhile venture.

Actually, I stated above that they could be produced for webcasting...and while that was a good thought IMO, I think they could also be marketed strongly for Satellite Radio. I know XM Radio has an entire channel devoted to Radio Drama and its not half bad actually....maybe someone from LFL will read this and contact me...

*dreams of stepping into a galaxy far far away....
    *sigh

25. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I've been meaning to buy the Radio Dramas on CD...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.