main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rage Against the Dying of the Light - (Qui/Obi Adventure Salem/Cross-Over) - Update 2.22.03!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ForceAchtungBaby, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
  2. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
  3. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Note From the Author

I am now starting to deal with some rather familiar aspects of American History, namely the events regarding the Salem Witch Trails of 1692. A majority of the characters that will appear in the following parts of Rage Against the Dying of the Light where actual people. Transcripts of their trails and information about their lives are available through a variety of sources, including some fabulous internet sites that I have researched.

In making these actual people a character(s) in a fictionalized story, and a Star Wars cross-over, at that, I find myself walking a treacherous line between fact and fantasy, reality and imagination. I have tried to tread this line carefully and I hope I have done so successfully.

In the next posts you will be introduced to some new characters. Some of them are original characters and others are fictionalisations of the real accused in Salem. When possible, I will try to include a note at the beginning of each post alerting the reader of a fictionalization of an actual historical figure.

For more information about the Salem Witch Trials I suggest the following sites that have helped and are continuing to help with the writing of this story:

Salem Trial Transcripts

Hysteria - Discovery Channel

salemwitchtrails.com

Salem Transcription Project

Salem Museum

Enjoy and thanks for reading!

ForceAchtungBaby

Oh, and new post will be up later today - please check back! :D

4. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Chapter 1 - Awakening
    Part II

Qui Gon Jinn and his young apprentice walked down a steep cliff.

"Careful, Padawan, watch your footing," Qui cautioned, his own footing slipping slightly on the soft terrain.

"Master, that looks like a city in the distance," said the blue-eyed, rather awkward and gangly teenager, pointing to torch lights in the distance.

"Yes, Padawan, I see," Qui Gon answered, his tone steady despite the fact his heart was pounding as he felt an unfamiliar cry within the force. Glancing at his Padawan momentarily he ascertained the teen was not aware of the unusual fluctuation of energy flowing through the both of them. Now with their eyes totally adjusted to the darkness, both found keeping their footing much easier.

"Master, do you suppose it's a city," asked the inquisitive lad. Obi Wan Kenobi had been Qui Gon Jinn's Padawan for almost five years now. Naturally reserved Qui Gon continued to worry about the boy's lack of self confidence. For one so strong in the force and so naturally agile with a lightsabre it pained Qui Gon greatly to see the youth continue to doubt his abilities.

"Let's hope so Padawan. From the looks of it, it could be quite primitive. We will need to very cautious, Obi Wan. These people may never have encountered Jedi's before. It may become imperative to hide our identities."

"You mean lie?" Obi Wan asked, a mischievous school boy glint in his eyes.

"No, not lie. We will have to be careful though. It is not necessary to reveal the truth to those to whom it is not owing," replied Qui Gon, unaware of how true those words would soon become to the two displaced travellers.

"That, sounds very much like lying."

"No, Padawan, that is the truth, from a certain point of view," Qui, replied, with a smirk at his young apprentice.

"Master," Obi Wan began somewhat tentatively, as the two continued towards the light flickering in the distance. A light that with each step the two took got closer and raged ever brighter in front of them. "What did happen to our ship."

"I don't want you to become troubled, Obi Wan," Qui said stopping momentarily and placing his hand on the lads shoulder. He looked at Obi Wan warmly, inwardly musing at how tall he had become in the recent months. "Sometimes I don't know the answers to situations. Sometimes things can not be explained in our own sphere of reality. At times only the force can guide us and help us find the answers. Padawan, all my senses tell me that this may be one of those times for us. However, I know I can count on your help with whatever is before us. I want you to remain close to me and follow my lead. Keep your senses open and listen for the will and the direction of the force."

"Yes, Master."

5. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Nice! I love the warm interaction between them. :D

6. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_love] Awww... . That was so sweet. ;) Love the Obi and Qui interraction like Cascadia said, and I can't wait to see what happens. I love the history of Salem, ever since I was a really little kid before I could read, even. I was in Salem once. Great post and I eagerly look forward to more!

7. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    "No, not lie. We will have to be careful though. It is not necessary to reveal the truth to those to whom it is not owing," replied Qui Gon, unaware of how true those words would soon become to the two displaced travellers.

Duh-na-na!

The Fabulous FAB it was another lovely and suspenseful post! Great interaction between Obi and Qui, kind of gave me that warm tingly feeling!

Salem was such an interesting time in American history, I wish I knew more about it! (Civil War is more of my field of knowledge.) Oh I'm so excited to see it through the eyes of two of our favorite Jedi!

But I have a quick question. Will Obi and Qui be stumbling in just at the beginning at the hysteria or towards the middle? :)

Oh I love it!

Maeve

Ps:

Shameless self-promotion: (Will I ever stop?)

The Winds of Fate

Please read my newest story! It would be forever grateful! :D

8. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    What was the unfamiliar cry in the force and what happened to their ship?

Love the 'certain point of view' line! That's where Obi-Wan got it from!

And Obi-Wan you must have more confidence! :)

9. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Cascadia - Thanks! I enjoy writing a warm relationship between Master and Padawan!

Wild_Huntress - I agree that Salem and the witch hunts was an extremely interesting time in American history! I did a library research term paper on it once and have been fascinated every since. You've been to Salem? Did you visit the museum?

Obis-Grl - Glad you liked! Yes, Civil War - used to be quite my area of expertise as well - the unfinished novel under my bed attests to the fact! I hope you enjoy learning about Salem through the eyes of Obi and Qui. To answer your question - Obi and Qui will enter more in the middle - that's not giving anything away because it would be revealed in one of the future posts. BTY - When's the new chapter in your story?

Sabe - Good questions indeed! Yes, the famous POV line - Qui is the culprit - at least in this fic!

10. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  11. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Yeah, I was at the museum and I have a coffee cup from there. ;) I was really young though so I don't remember it much, only that some parts really scared me. We were also at this mock witch trial in the old like town hall or something. I have pictures somewhere.

Looking forward to more of this. ;) Until then, up.

12. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Chapter I - Awakening
    Part III

Obi Wan Kenobi sighed deeply. To him it has seemed that the two, master and Padawan, had been traveling for days. In actuality he realized it had not even an hour since they began walking.

Such a strange day, he inwardly pondered. This morning he reported to Master Qui Gon's room. Nothing about the beginning of the day would have signaled anything out of the usual was going to happen.

He continued to play back through his mind the events of the day - boarding their ship and plotting their course. Master Qui Gon turned the piloting of the ship completely over to Obi Wan. Nothing was very unusual about that, his Master didn't care much for flying and Obi Wan quite enjoyed the feeling of guiding a path through the stars.

A slight course correction - once again, not anything he worried himself about. The planet was close within scope and then a flash - intense light, unlike anything he had every seen before. Both mesmerized and terrified, Obi Wan called to his Master through their training bond for help. He gripped the controls of the ship tightly buckling from the onslaught.

Right and then left and then left and then right, spiraling, twisting, turning, the ship continued to buckle and build speed. Obi Wan clutched tighter at the controls, trying to navigate the wave of energy - a matrix - beams of energy and light.

Once again to the right and to the left, the ship whizzed. Obi Wan continuing to clutch the controls in almost a panic. He remembered Master Qui Gon urging him to control his emotions, reach out with his feelings and stay connected to the force.

But neither Obi Wan, nor Qui Gon could seem to stop what was happening.

The next thing he remembered was waking up - waking in this, he thought tentatively, place. Their ship no where to be found, a place where nothing feels right. Nothing feels right that is except for the force.

The force, Obi Wan repeated to himself, mauling the word over like a smooth balm, willing himself to feel its presence cloak him. He closed his eyes momentarily as he continued to walk behind his master, and concentrated on letting the force guide him.

His cerulean eyes shot open, "Master," he cried.

13. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    First reply to me! :)

Right and then left and then left and then right, spiraling, twisting, turning, the ship continued to buckle and build speed. Obi Wan clutched tighter at the controls, trying to navigate the wave of energy - a matrix - beams of energy and light

Fantastic description of Obi-Wan's doomed attempt to control the ship FAB. What is this place where nothing feels right except for the force and has Obi-Wan discovered something or has something happened to Qui-Gon?

14. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    I can always count on your for a response Sabe!
    Questions, questions, questions - patience! Actually, it makes me quite happy that this fic is captivating at least a few readers! [face_blush]

15. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    What a place to stop. Loved the description of the ship out of control and Obi-Wan's wonderings of where they were.

Please post more.

16. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Ah!

Don't leave me this way! Ah! Ah!

The Fabulous FAB another excellent excellent chapter! Oh I can't wait to know more! I need to know more...

:)

Maeve

Ps: I should have the newest chapter of The Winds Of Fate done later tonight, so except an update tomorrow. Sorry it took so long dearie!

17. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_shocked] Eeep! Noo! Cliffy! What's happened to Qui?

Ok am calmer now. Awesome post FAB!

18. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    The gangs all here! :)

Cascadia - Thanks! I needed to hear that! Although Sabe would beg to differ with me I'm the most insecure about writing description - so, I'm releaved when it comes across well!

Obis-Grl - You'd think that people would have had enough of silly fan fics... Couldn't resist :D. More coming soon promise!
    P.S. I'm be looking forward to reading your add 2-morrow evening! ;)

Wild_Huntress - FAB passes oxygen quickly to Wild_Huntress! Glad you're okay - please I want none of my readers to pass out!

19. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  20. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  21. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Uppers!

:)

22. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Thanks Sabe and Obis-Grl and without further ado, I present the next portion. It's a shorty once again, but we're getting closer....

Chapter 1 - Awakening
    Part IV

"I feel it also," was Qui Gon's calm, serene answer to his apprentice's startling exclamation. "Obi Wan, yes, there is a disturbance in the force. A very strange disturbance in the force."

"Master, it was like a voice crying out to me," the young Padawan replied, his face visibly devoid of color, as he spoke. His pupils dilated so that the usual calm blue orbs looked storm tossed.

"I heard it also Obi Wan," Qui replied, once again calmly, trying desperately to bring his Padawan's focus back to the here and now. "Obi Wan," Qui began gently, once again placed his hand on the teen's shoulder in a reassuring manner. He affectionately gazed at this one so young and so much like himself that stood in front of him and continued, "It will be alright. Whatever we have to face we will face it together my Padawan. The force will guide us, it will speak to us, it will help us. The force will never forsake us."

"There is no emotion," Qui offered.

"There is peace," Obi wan continued.

"There is no ignorance, Qui said, lowering his voice to almost a whisper and closing his eyes "there is knowledge." Obi Wan began to voice the ancient creed of the Jedi Order in unison with his master, "There is no passion; there is serenity. There is no emotion there is peace. There is no death there is the force."

Over and over again, Master and Padawan repeated those ancient words.. words by which Jedi's had drawn comfort, strength and power for a millennia. Words that were both prayer and confession, exaltation and redemption.

23. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    I liked the way you explained about the creed and how it has served the Jedi through the years. And it's good to see the teacher/pupil relationship a healthy one.

I can't wait to see what they come upon, or what they see. :)

24. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Cascadia - Thanks! I'm out of town this weekend so I probably won't have a new post up until next week - unless I come up with something this evening!

25. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    It gets more and more intriguing! Hopefully you will reveal soon where they are and what the disturbance in the force is! Wonderful description of Obi's eyes! The code is usually mentioned when the Jedi are not allowed to do something, 'the code forbids it.' So it is interesting to see them use it to give them strength. Great depiction of the relationship between them too. The ending was beautiful.

Words that were both prayer and confession, exaltation and redemption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.