main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Rage Against the Dying of the Light - Qui/Obi Salem Crossover Fic - New Add Finally 6.14.03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ForceAchtungBaby, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Rage Against the Dying of the Light
    By: ForceAchtungBaby
    Genre: Cross-Over, Adventure
    Characters: Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi, original characters
    Summary: Qui Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi Wan Kenobi find themselves in a world where they must hide their Jedi identities.

Disclaimer: Characters Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi belong to George Lucas as well as any references to the Star Wars universe. Some characters and events will be a fictionalization of actual people and events in American history.
    "Rage against the dying of the light" first appeared as a stanza in the poem "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" by Dylan Thomas. To read the poem in full click here
    --------------------------------------------

Prologue

It has been four years now. Four long years since my Padawan and I became marooned in this world where people fear the knowledge of the force and yet the force is present all around them.

Our free-flowing Jedi robes have been forsaken for stiff black tunics. Our feet are now trapped in shoes of black and silver. And the most painful, that what marks a Jedi a Jedi - our lightsabres are hidden deep in the woods outside our small house.

A place where the locals meet together in enclosed places to contemplate that which knows no boundaries. A place where, when we first happened here, it still pains me to relate, we felt a life bright with the force choked from existence.

This place in which we have been forced to hide that which makes us who we are in order to protect our life. And, in so doing, I fear. No, Jedis don't fear. But, in this place, Jedis don't exist so perhaps its fitting that fear has taken its place. I do fear. I fear that which makes us vibrant, is dying little by little every day.

But perhaps, I should start back on that day, four years ago, when we both arrived in this place - this place the locals call Salem.

--------------------------------------------
    Visit the original thread ------> Rage Against the Dying of the Light

2. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Chapter 1 - Awakening
    Part 1

"Master, where are we?" asked a visually shaken Obi Wan Kenobi.

"I, don't know Padawan," replied Qui Gon Jinn, as he carefully began to observe his surroundings.

"This just doesn't feel right, Master."

"I know Padawan. I feel it also," Qui Gon said as he got up of the ground.

"Where, are you going, Master?" Obi Wan asked.

"To try to find out where we are, Padawan."

Obi Wan hastily got up from the ground and began to follow his master off into the distance.

"Master, how are we possibly going to figure out what happened. Where's our ship?"

"Patience, Padawan. Answers can always be found. The force is strong nearby. Can you feel it Padawan?"

"Master...." Obi answered bewildered.

"Stretch out, Obi Wan. I can feel a presence strong in the force nearby."

Obi Wan reluctantly closed his eyes and began to focus on the force. Master and apprentice focused intently, the force flowing through them. Both making supplication to the force - seeking guidance, seeking answers. The force began to speak to them through the wind and the sky, the vegetation and all living things that surrounded them.

"That way, Master," Obi said as he opened his eyes and pointed to the west.

"Yes, Padawan, yes." Qui replied, opening his eyes. "Come, young one," Qui said as he resumed walking.

Chapter 1 - Awakening
    Part II

Qui Gon Jinn and his young apprentice walked down a steep cliff.

"Careful, Padawan, watch your footing," Qui cautioned, his own footing slipping slightly on the soft terrain.

"Master, that looks like a city in the distance," said the blue-eyed, rather awkward and gangly teenager, pointing to torch lights in the distance.

"Yes, Padawan, I see," Qui Gon answered, his tone steady despite the fact his heart was pounding as he felt an unfamiliar cry within the force. Glancing at his Padawan momentarily he ascertained the teen was not aware of the unusual fluctuation of energy flowing through the both of them. Now with their eyes totally adjusted to the darkness, both found keeping their footing much easier.

"Master, do you suppose it's a city," asked the inquisitive lad. Obi Wan Kenobi had been Qui Gon Jinn's Padawan for almost five years now. Naturally reserved Qui Gon continued to worry about the boy's lack of self confidence. For one so strong in the force and so naturally agile with a lightsabre it pained Qui Gon greatly to see the youth continue to doubt his abilities.

"Let's hope so Padawan. From the looks of it, it could be quite primitive. We will need to very cautious, Obi Wan. These people may never have encountered Jedi's before. It may become imperative to hide our identities."

"You mean lie?" Obi Wan asked, a mischievous school boy glint in his eyes.

"No, not lie. We will have to be careful though. It is not necessary to reveal the truth to those to whom it is not owing," replied Qui Gon, unaware of how true those words would soon become to the two displaced travellers.

"That, sounds very much like lying."

"No, Padawan, that is the truth, from a certain point of view," Qui, replied, with a smirk at his young apprentice.

"Master," Obi Wan began somewhat tentatively, as the two continued towards the light flickering in the distance. A light that with each step the two took got closer and raged ever brighter in front of them. "What did happen to our ship."

"I don't want you to become troubled, Obi Wan," Qui said stopping momentarily and placing his hand on the lads shoulder. He looked at Obi Wan warmly, inwardly musing at how tall he had become in the recent months. "Sometimes I don't know the answers to situations. Sometimes things can not be explained in our own sphere of reality. At times only the force can guide us and help us find the answers. Padawan, all my senses tell me that this may be one of those times for us. However, I know I can count on your help with whatever is before us. I want you to remain close to me and follow my lead. Keep your senses open and listen for the wi

3. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Do you want comments posted here or at the original?

4. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yea....I'm a tad confused...

5. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Oops sorry - didn't mean to confuse...I'll be updating here.....comments here are preferred!

6. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  7. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    where's the Update??

8. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    GenOochy - sorry there hasn't been an update on this for a while. I've been on a bit of a jag with my other fic and have been working on it quite a bit lately. Have to get through a few more posts on that one before I can give this one it's just attention.

9. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Waiting patiently for an update! :)

10. Tinuviel_Jyana

Tinuviel_Jyana Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Or impatiently is more likelyt for me...

although my impatience is mostly silent...

wait, did i say that outload? :p

11. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  12. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  13. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Upitty Up!

14. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Chapter III - Rebirth
    Part I

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again."
    The words continued to ring in Qui Gon's ears.

Born again. Born again.

Is that what has happened to us? Have we been born again? New names, new clothes and the force seemingly slipping away from us daily. Suppressing the force is suffocating us both. Living as we are not meant to live is suffocating us both.

Qui Gon cleared his thoughts. Only in the safety of this building could he feel free to call upon the force. This building where the people inside tried to house the presence of the divine, only there, could a Jedi freely call upon that which knows now boundaries.

The congregation bowed their heads in what they called prayer, their lips moving, but voices silent. Qui Gon lowered his head and began to meditate. Slowly those around him began to dissolve. With his eyes closed tighter he became transfixed.

He called upon the force. He intently sought guidance, answers, and some shred of hope. But yet, he had found nothing, nothing that he sought.

"Amen", the voices around him echoed, breaking him away from his thoughts.

15. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    That was well worth the wait! :) The force is slipping away? Because they no longer call on it as often or because of something else? At least they have a place where they can call on it without fear.

16. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  17. Tinuviel_Jyana

Tinuviel_Jyana Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    that was a great last post there... can't wait for more :D

18. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  19. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  20. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  21. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Hmmmmm...FAB ponders if she should add more!

22. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Of course you should!

23. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Yes, please do!!!

24. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Chapter 3 - Rebirth
    Part II

"John, it is a pleasure to see you friend. You are looking well. The Lord is most definitely showering you with blessings. And it looks as though you have company with you as well."

"Ezekiel, this is my apprentice, Joshua," the old man gesturing to his right, "and his son Obedience," he concluded with a gesture to his left. " They have just joined me in Salem and will be staying on with us now."

"Apprentice, John, that surprises me," the other man answered.

"Well, I'm not going to live forever and in case you hadn't noticed, I'm beginning to get old. If I don't take an apprentice who is going to shoe the horses around here when I'm gone?"

"Joshua, nice to meet you. A good, fine name," Ezekiel replied, shaking the men's hands in turn. "And I see you've named your son after one of the blessed virtues of our Lord. My own daughter, yonder there, Patience, is her name," he continued, pointing to a girl, barely a teenager, dressed in dark dress with a bonnet tied snugly under her chin, the brim hiding her face from view.

"Well, welcome to Salem. "John, one of my mare's needs a shoeing. Will you have time tomorrow for me to by?"

"Oh, yes, of course. Joshua will be helping me tomorrow. Your horses are of the more gentle disposition will make a nice practice for my apprentice." John smiled, a full, short toothed, smile at Qui Gon.

"Very good. I shall bring her by first thing in the morning. She's my newest mare. Patience took a liking to her, and well, since her mother passed, God rest her, I've been unable to deny her."

Obi Wan nudged his Master's arm, "Master...what does shoeing a horse mean?"

"I have no idea Obi."

"And, Master, Obedience?"

"You heard the townsman, it's a good virtue," Qui Gon replied, muffling a laugh.

25. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    You are creating a very believable Salem with it's god fearing inhabitants.

Wish I could see the look on Obi;s face at his new name!!!!!!!

I think that John is going to enjoy teaching Joshua to shoe a horse! Can't wait to see Qui-Gon try that!

"And, Master, Obedience?"

"You heard the townsman, it's a good virtue," Qui Gon replied, muffling a laugh

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qui-Gon is going to have fun with that one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.