main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends "Rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light" (drama about Palp´s niece, a mix of legend & canon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Jul 11, 2014.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Because I will not be online for the Easter weekend, I already update this story today:

Compared to the neighbouring buildings it is a small temple, but I do not go for grandeur. This is not what being a daughter of the moon is about.

With downcast eyes I step on the first step of the stair-case that leads up to the entrance door. “Oh Lady, I am not worthy to enter thy home, but speak the word only and my soul shall be healed.”

Shiraya is known to be helping lost souls.

Slow and purposeful I claim each stone step, giving my best to blend out Orson's presence. He is always two feet behind me, a keen protector. My one man army really.

As is the custom for the Naboo, I take off my shoes before entering the holy grounds. I also get rid of my stockings.

Orson sighs and follows my example, but leaves his woollen socks on.

I raise a quizzical eye brow at him.

“Really?” he challenges me.

I nod.

“You are more persistent than an army doctor.” He makes a face, pulls off the socks and stuffs them into one of his black leather boots, that say military property all over.

I reward Orson with a little kiss on his right cheek.

“The things I do to keep you happy,” he mutters and stares at his exposed feet. “The ground is icy. The current temperatures must be below freezing point.”

“If you would believe in the concept of the Force or divine lead...”

He rises a hand to silence me. “I will have mercy on you, when you develop a cystitis from this madness. Women tend to have them more than men.”

The door to the temple has a knocker in the shape of a crescent moon. Orson raises it and raps sharply.

An elderly man of the Brotherhood of Cognizance opens. With his kind, bearded face he reminds me of Maxiron Agolerga, their anointed pontifex.

“Welcome on this bright, promising winter day!” the brother greets us cheerfully, leading us into the inner sanctum.

“He is aware that this moon has a never-ending winter, right?” Orson hisses.

“Shiraya teaches us enjoy each moment to the fullest, to take life for what it is,” I explain politely.

The brother, who seems blessed with a pair of good ears, smiles at me benevolently. For my companion he has a pitiful, but well meant glance. He seems to think that a bad attitude can be overcome.

Tenderly, I fondle Orson's hand. “Do not fuss! This is important to me.”

“Sorry,” he mutters and stares at his naked feet.

We are led into a chamber where we can do the ritual washing of our hands and feet. I show Orson how to. He is a quick and efficient learner. I'll grant him that.

Then we reach the heart of the building: the marble prayer hall with a life-seize sculpture of the moon goddess. Flower garlands and burning votive candles surround her.

I breathe in the scents that hang in the air, all so familiar to me since my early childhood: cinnamon, winter cherry, juniper, black cumin seed, clove and the kusum flower.

Orson pauses with me, not letting go of my hand. The scenery must overtax a nullfidian scientist like him.

“Many Naboo incenses are thought to have medicinal properties,” I tell him in a solemn voice. “Their recipes, unchanged for centuries, come from ancient texts that are based on even older Ayurvedic medical texts.”

“Ayur, what?” inquires Orson, desperate to understand.

“A holistic system of medicine. Its aim is to provide guidance regarding food and lifestyle so that healthy people can stay healthy.”

“Aha, and what about sick folk?”

“Those with health challenges can improve their health.”

“Of course,” he smirks. “I wonder if that type of medicine would have helped somebody like General Grievous. You know, the cyborg general of the Separatists. He had this nasty cough.”

“No doctor, healer or shaman in the entire universe could have helped him,” I answer, remembering my last meeting with the large Kaleesh warrior. “He was a lost case altogether.”

I get on my knees to light a candle, but there will not be enough on the entire moon of Jedha for all of Sheev's victims. One will have to do.

How long I remain sitting on my thighs with my palms turned towards the ceiling I do not know. Time is irrelevant. At least for me.

Orson leans his chin on my left shoulder. “I am in the tea room, okay?”

I hear him leave.

Finally, I can let go of everything that bothers me. It is just me and the goddess. No more lies. No more fears.

Ancient words leave my lips.

“Grant me the strength, Goddess, to whom I ask, to whom I pray; extend Your assistance to me.”

Walking one's own path is never easy. But divine Shiraya listens to those, who seek her advice. Courage, independence, and self-trust are gifts that she has in stock for those who humbly ask her aid.

To be the future gate keeper for House Palpatine is not easy. I am under no illusion about that, but I am willing to sacrifice my own life for this task.

Suddenly, I feel the presence of another pilgrim kneeling next to me. The heat, that this person radiates, reminds me of somebody that I used to know.

I open my downcast eyes and hazily gaze at a large pair of hands. They are grimy with crusted dirt, and the black nails broken. But I do not draw away. Their tattoos are too familiar, too dear to me.

“I was told that you died during the Battle of Naboo,” I whisper, my voice somewhat strained by upcoming tears. “What happened, Maul?”

“Not now!” He reaches out for my hands, leads them towards his mouth and kisses my fingertips. I can feel that his lips are are cracked and pealing. “Just let me enjoy your company, little sister. Your companion will be back soon.”

This assumption I can rebut. “Frankincense is not his thing. Neither are praying sessions. He hails to science only.”

“But he will get suspicious,” Maul argues, still holding my hands in a gentle manner.

“That is his second name, I am afraid.”

His eyes are yellow with the dark side, yet for me he has nothing but a friendly gaze. “Sidious choose your body guard wisely then. The structure of this galaxy is breaking apart. You need somebody to protect you in times like this.”

“What I really need is answers,” I protest.

“No pilgrim ever gets the results he expects.” Maul gazes me with unhidden regret, his eyes quizzical. “To me the Force itself sends an angel when I am asking for nothing but revenge. You are my sign.” He pauses. “And I am afraid that I am yours. The Age of the Darkness is here.”

I bite my lips, glaring at his robed figure.

“My advice to you is simple. Stay away from Sidious and creatures like me!” he says, releasing my hands. “You break too easily because you care too much.”

“You cannot leave me like this,” I sniff for there is so much to say after all these years.

Slow, but with purpose Maul gets to his feet. “When fate is kind, we will not meet again.” His yellow eyes, spiked with red veins, flare like Tatooine's twin suns. The strained lips quiver in what is almost a smile. “Give me hope, little sister!”

(To be continued!)

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Like, whaaaaaat? I don't know how you did it, but you made Darth Maul damned near nice in that scene! No, seriously, he almost kriffing saved the cat!

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  3. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Perhaps Maul is a cat lover. Like DEATH in the Terry Prachett "Discworld" novels. Hum, you give me ideas here, Cowgirl Jedi 1701. Thanks for the praise anyway! :)

Oh and perhaps I should tell

DarthUncle
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Darth_Furio
    The Ascendant
    Chyntuck
    and
    Darth Gangrenous

that I updated before I am off to bed.

It is a long working day in my new working place tomorrow.

And please tell me when you do not wish to be tagged! Not even when somebody like Maul gives a cameo.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Maul nice? What does he want?

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Nothing. Which is very surprising in itself, earlybird-obi-wan. I know. But during the "Rebels" series I really fell for him.

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  6. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Nice conflict between the agnostic scientist/engineer Krennic and the more mystical, religious Nagina - and then we meet Maul - I guess he's about to go find his destiny; I'm glad he got to say goodbye to Nagina, esp. if they never really met again after that episode from your vignette where they kiss and he ends up getting electrified by Darth Sidious. This seems like a nice way to bracket that, showing he kept the lesson he learned there.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: I simply enjoy the laser sharp insight you have into my texts. Yes, this indeed my way to wrap up things between Maul & Nagina.

And thanks for taking the time tonight and leave some comments for stuff, that you have to beta long before Kahara has the chance too. [face_love]

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It is I, your late and laggardly beta reader! :p At least I'm caught up on reading if not editing this time.

I'm really loving this side trip to Jedha. Too bad that it's likely to be a brief one and that a second visit seems unlikely, considering. The description of the environment in the city is lovely, and the intrigues with trying to pass on information to the stall vendor was a lot of fun. Nagina can be a Palpatine in the sneaky sense now and then. ;) By the way, I really like the detail on the bracelet that Lor gave her as an engagement gift. Not only beautiful and meaningful, but it also has the practical effect that it allows her to make contacts on Jedha due to his clan ties there.

Oh boy, he'd spit nails if only he knew. :D Which is somewhat satisfying given how overbearing he can be. But at the same time, his gentle teasing and companionable behavior in these few chapters make it seem a little sad. Even though we know he's far worse than Nagina even lets herself see (and yikes, those short stories that I haven't reviewed yet -- the inside of his head is an utter nightmare!), still. There's something tragic about the probable sad fate of their friendship.

Neat juxtaposition of their roles towards each other here, at least in Maul's mind. I'm sort of glad that they both had this meeting. It's not exactly closure, but it's something.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Kahara: I am really, really grateful for your kindness and encouragement throughout the past months. This is why I will keep on writing. (Plus I have DarthUncle trying to make me in many sweet and sinister ways that only a husband can imagine.)

When I read about Jedha in the book version of "Rouge One" and later on got me the illustrated book about the film, I put on a certain Loreena McKennitt album.

Then the words kept flowing automatically, while I kept the greatest pilgrimage sites of planet earth in mind. (Plus all the historical documentations I ever watched about them.) And also, in a side pocket of my mind, I remembered Paul Atreidis and the "golden path" he was afraid of in the "Dune" novels by Frank Herbert.

But it is mostly due to Marion Zimmer Bradley that Nagina turned into such a mystic and religious person. Because her writing did a lot for me when I was a fearful teen girl, trying to find myself. Especially her "Mists of Avalon" gave me a different view on the world, especially religion.

As for Nagina being a Palpatine, yes through her mother she has Palpatine blood in her veins. This is a fact that she cannot deny. But she uses it quite differently than her uncle Sheev (= the half-brother of her mom).

The engagement to Lor is not really openly shown in the main story, but be certain I will write at least one vignette about it.

Orson Callan Krennic is not an easy man, but Nagina sure loves him like a sister. Some of her relationships with men are complicated, but when you grew up with a Sith lord at your side then you try to see the positive aspects in a person.

The Maul story is but a side show, but I could not help liking him while I watched the "Rebel" series together with my husband.

Anyway, here is the rest of Chapter 21, which also should interest earlybird-obi-wan:

It is the brother I encountered before who finds me crying at the feet of the goddess. He squats down in front of me. “My name is Brother Gaetano. Is there anything I can do to lighten your burden, my daughter?”

I shake my head.

“Do you want to talk about it?” the elderly man inquires softly.

The answer that I have is simple. “My pain is nothing. The entire galaxy is in pain since the Return of the Sith.”

Brother Gaetano studies my face in wonder, then gives himself an unselfconscious shake. “You are much mistaken, my daughter.” He places a hand on my shoulder, announcing solemnly, “The Sith are just a spectre of the past. Their religion died out many centuries ago.”

I am glad that he did not notice Mauly hanging out here for a while. “And who had the most interest in destroying the Jedi Order, an actual motivation and the means to bring it about?” I ask, looking him straight in the eyes. They are as green as Naboo's plains. As innocent as them. “Who will come to Jedha to claim the local kyber crystals? To build weapons even the Celestials would declare as blasphemous?”

His chest rises and falls. Clearly, the notion rocks the foundation of his world. The colour of his tanned face changes to an unhealthy red.

“You think the war is over?” I move on. “The Clone Wars were just an overture. The current sith'arai has only just started to orchestrate his master piece.”

The brother places a hand over his fast-beating heart. His fingers are long and tapered. “This is impossible!” he gurgles.

“Darth Zannah, the Sith apprentice of Darth Bane, was good at hiding in plain sight. One time she concealed herself within a group of Jedi knight. They never found out until it was too late.” I give a side glance at the statue of the goddess. Shiraya seems to smile at me encouragingly. I compose myself and say the words that condemn my uncle. “Sheev Cosinga Aurelius Palpatine studied her history and Force skills very carefully.”

Brother Gaetano tilts his head, candle light spinning the length of his grey hair. “Why have you never have stepped forward with your story?”

“Jedi Council member Mace Windu thought I was a mad woman. He did not care for the evidence that I offered him three times.”

He frowns, scratching absently through his beard. His expression changes into one of deep consideration.

I eye him wearily.

His hands shift into a contemplative pose. Into one that I have seen in the effigies standing on Theed plaza. It takes him a while to speak out his mind. “I fear that Master Windu knew the truth all along, my daughter. The truth that the Sith had returned to this galaxy, but the Jedi council did not wish a mass panic.” He licks his lips briefly. “So they lied, even to our congregation. The Pontifex was only told that a mighty darksider had killed Master Jinn. A Sith lord was never mentioned.”

This is grave news. A part of me always had always known though.

“The road to doom is always paved with good intentions,” I say in a dull tone. “This was not the first time in history that members of the Jedi Council were mislead.”

His eyes gleam. “Would you care to share your precious knowledge with me?”

I glance over my shoulder. No sign of Orson yet. “You do not want my darkness, brother,” I say in a rush.

His eyes crinkle.“There is a light that shines beyond all things,
    beyond all of us, beyond the heavens,
    beyond the highest, the very highest heavens.
    This is the light that shines in our hearts.”

Such simple words and yet they open a door in my huddled thoughts. “The light of the Force,” I whisper.

He nods encouragingly.

With a heavy heart, I share what my uncle once had taught me about the rise of Darth Ravan. “During the Mandalorian Wars Master Lucien Draay committed a grave mistake. He had a group of Padawans struck down during their Knighting ceremony.” I slump my shoulders. “This way his infamous WatchCircle wanted to prevent the return of the Sith. But their deed conjured the enemy.”

Brother Gaetano sits back on his heels, his expression grave and serious. “My poor daughter, it seems to me that a Sith lord raised you in secret and taught you most of his ill trade.”

My throat works, but I cannot answer to the obvious.

“Yet you continue to serve the light of truth. You are very brave. May Shiraya remain at your side! ” He kisses my temples in blessing. “May her gentle light help you to navigate in the darkness!”

10. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Indeed she is, quite bold to state the full truth here, sure it is a temple, but Krennic probably only cares about that to the extent that it is imporant to Nagina (and we don't know how much he'd care to keep its sanctity if she'd never knew ...). Here you really show part of her deep trust in the Force of others, showing how, in spite of her Uncle and his Empire, and Krennic's project, there is still hope as long as people keep it alive and risk all to rekindle it.

Kahara likes this.
  11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Yeah, DarthUncle! For this answer you deserve "eine Tasse heißen Kakao" but only if you want one. And I am glad that you realised what I was getting at with my entire Jedha trip.

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    She has the light and that will conquer the dark of the Sith

DarthUncle likes this.
  13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Chapter 21, first instalment.

Quite the relief, now that Nagina has ceased being downtrodden, and is subtley fighting back.

I quite liked the Batman Batgirl Gambit by which she offered planets that Orson saw straight through, then one that he did not.

Good fun interactions between the two, hands on other's knees, pulling down of woolen caps over faces, etc. I appreciate seeing Krennic mostly relaxed, even while Nagina is meeting the first of the in-laws a metre behind his back.

Nice to see her able to spill secrets to interested parties, and the Besalisk rant was well played.

Excellent level of detail, as always...or text masquarading as detail. I am left with the impression that you described the heck out of Nagina's and Mister Tekka's bracelets...but somehow "his eyes move over the pattern, reading it like a book text" did the job.

What, what alchemy is this? :p

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Not alchemy, simple literacy. :p And being married to a nice man who is a test reader.

As for the bracelet thingy: in my new job I have kindergarten kids from 17 different nations. Their cultural background is really interesting and I get ideas here and there.

Thanks for taking the time and leave such brilliant, joyful comments, dear Sith-I-5. :D

As for the Batgirl reference, now I have to think about the most bewildering TV series ever that had large comic bubbles appearing during fight scenes and costumes that hurt the eyes.

Hm, I get an idea now that I can add into my Celtic challenge, song 2. [face_idea]

16. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    I think everyone who's a writer knows that's a bit too simple a way to put it. And thanks for the mention, glad that I could help you perfect the alchemy until you got gold. But in the end it is your writing that does that.

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: This is a world play with the word "gold" right, because you cannot get over me mentioning a certain pair of golden underpants elsewhere, right?

18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    First bit of Chapter 22:

Chapter 22:

When I enter the tea room, Orson puffs away on a hookah pipe, reading something on a data pad.

Instead of making a comment about the health risks of using a water pipe, I take some time to let my eyes wander.

The interior reminds me so much of that in the Theed main temple, which is served by a congregation of twelve brothers. Here on Jedha there seem to be just three men: a ground keeper, a chéf de cuisine and Brother Gaetano, the spiritual healer.

Orson puts his hose away when he notices me. “Excessive praying sessions seem not to become you.” He gets up and rushes towards me, wrapping a supportive arm around me. “You need a decent cup of tea, Ina.”

With a deep frown he accompanies me to a cushion chair next to his. I am poured a mug of steaming hot brewery.

Rose petal tea. Drink slowly!” Orson patronizes me.

Soon I am offered almond flower cookies and other niceties of Naboo bakery art. Our low tea table, consisting off of an ornamented brass plate and three delicate table legs, is on the brink of breaking down.

I was not sure what you like, so I ordered the entire high tea set,” Orson explains, somewhat flustered.

That was very thoughtful of you,” I praise him.

I enjoy the effect of my words immediately. He gives me a warm smile that comes straight from his heart.

Want some rice cake first?” he asks.

Actually, I do.

Everything that Orson offers to me is sinfully delicious. Tiramisúwith a lavender scented mascarpone, baked ricottacheesecake with icing sugar and, my secret favourite, a slice of chocolate almond cake.

Why Shiraya?” he asks me politely after some time has passed. “I was given to understand the Mother Vima occupies the paramount throne in the pantheon of Naboo gods.”

You are well informed.”

I try to be.” He winks at me. “See, as a boy I had this extraordinary babysitter. She believed in the pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons. That concept of hers is called lifelong learning.”

Putting on a smile, I place my hands on my lap. “You make it sound like I invented that concept.”

As far as I am concerned, you did.” Watching me raptly, he flashes a boyish grin. “Looking back, you always did or said things that blew my kiddie-consciousness into a million pieces. You turned my universe into a much brighter and more interesting place.”

Talking with Orson has always been a journey and, most of the time, a joy.

Without thinking, my fingers form the Mantanagimudra, which resembles the trunk of an eopie. Calmness and serenity flood my mind with no delay. “My mother Mandré was a follower of the moon goddess. Sheev did not mind that she raised me in the old lunar traditions.”

How come I never noticed your profound religious life?” He glares down his nose at me, one brow sharply arched.

Religion is usually a very private thing for me,” I explain, enjoying my second mug.

Knowing your fosters, they of course encouraged you to keep up your faith and supported you in every way possible.”

I detect a certain amount of jealousy from Orson. His own parents – organic fruit farmers hailing from Lexrul – had been utterly overtaxed with him. He had possessed a heightened sensibility and a hunger for wisdom that had been out of proportion on an average farm. The constant pressure of hard labour and lack of understanding had created misunderstandings on both sides.

After some pondering, I say, “Your parents also love...”

You never give up, do you?” There is distant thunder in his blue eyes. His mouth is clamped in a straight line. “Like a little doggy, having locked its jaws onto a victim.”

I lower my tea mug and give him a radiant smile. “And you never learned to bite on the bit. It can be tolerated in a small child, Orson, but not in a grown-up man in his thirties. Therefore, I implore you to be careful around men like Tarkin.”

His hands curl into fists.“We should change the subject,” he urges, fighting his inner demons – pride and temper.

You have to allow me to be concerned for your well-being once in a while, too,” I say soothingly.

The tables have turned, Ina. When I was small I needed you. Now I can pay back the favour.”

In silence we finish the large tea pot and our assortment of cakes. But the tension still crackles between us.

When Orson gets up to bring our metal tray to a side table, he says in a curt tone, “I know you will not believe me, but actually I work hard to assist your uncle in bringing back peace...”

Peace?” I yelp.

Our concept of peace does not align with yours, I am sure. But flowers, candles and prayers will not give this galaxy a fresh start. We need military solutions.”

You mean military build-up,” I correct him gravely. “Weapons that can destroy entire planets.”

He shrugs. “Peace has a price. We have to start somewhere.”

This is the moment to ask the most urgent question that is on my mind. “Will the Empire tear down the temple of the Whills very soon?”

The alertness in his eyes is huge. “Why would we do that?”

Sheev stripped the Coruscant Jedi temple and found out that it is not enough for your project, right? Kyber crystals die after each test run of yours,” I say, fighting for calmness. “Now I have bad news for the two of you. The deposits of Jedha won't be sufficient either.”

His eyes are intense, while his expression is nothing but stricken.

I lift my chin in a proud manner. “You should forget about the icebound caves of Ilum, too. Nothing is able to fulfil the hunger of your super laser.”

Let it go!” Orson says gruffly.

The dark side devours energy. Taking life happens to cost a lot of energy. This is not what sacrosanct beings like the crystals are there for. You cross a dangerous line. The status quo, the balance of the Force so to speak, needs to be respected.”

He snorts, unconvinced by my words. “This is a question of applied science, Ina. It's not about faith and some pseudo energy field related to that faith. My battle station will be there to protect people from getting harmed by extremists.”

Question your scientific logic, Orson!” I bite back, a catch in my voice. “Are you aware what will happen when entire planets suddenly vanish from the stellar charts? When nobody is safe any more? When life ceases to have a meaning?”

You are overreacting. I am building an instrument of peace and benefit.”

I gaze at my inner armoury, running through the entire inventory. Then I find the sharpest argument that I have. “You are too driven by greed, Orson. Theory is not enough for you. This is why Lucky had to die.”

He presses his lips together, his haggard face ashen.

Of course you were sorry for the poor dog. I never doubted that. But that is not the entire story. You cried for yourself as much as you cried for Lucky that day.”

Slowly, he averts his gaze from me. “This is getting unhealthy, Ina.”

Only if you strike back,” I clarify.

The Empire will always strike back. And I am with the Empire,” he assures me, while his gaze wanders back at me. “Are you not sick of fighting, Ina? It really achieves nothing apart from wearing yourself out.”

I shake my head. “You...”

Face it!” he interrupts me. “Your grandfather won when he dragged you down the wine cellar stairs.”

I cannot believe that he really uses this against me.

Why have you been trying to save everybody else ever since?” he asks in a mild voice, his gaze investigative. “You hardly have strength to support yourself.”

Before his hand can cup my chin I push it away. “Oh but you are very mistaken. This is not about me being an abuse victim. It's about Sheev and his darkness. I am too much of a believer when it comes to those with a rotten character. Even in your case.”

When we leave the tea room not much later, Orson gives a very generous donation to Brother Gaetano. “It was a pleasure,” he says and bows.

The elderly man does not smile, but the creases around his eyes deepen as he raises a hand in blessing.

Asatho Maa Sad Gamaya.
    Thamaso Maa Jyothir Gamaya.
    Mrithyur Maa Amritham Gamaya.
    Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.”

Orson blinks at the brother, who translates his benediction from Sanskrit into pure basic.

From untruth lead us to truth.
    From darkness lead us to light.
    From death lead us to immortality.
    Om Peace, Peace, Peace.”

I shudder, for I know the Prayer for the Dying too well by far .

Orson, unaware of what has just occurred, rushes to retrieve our coats from the cloak room.

Brother Gaetano inclines his head to me, “Nobody should reach out to the stars in the way he does.” There is no malice in his eyes. Just kindness and wisdom. “The Force itself will judge him for that at the end of his life. It is known.”

It is known,” I repeat heart broken.

(To be continued!)

Chyntuck, Kahara and Darth Gangrenous like this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    DarthUncle: You can be pretty intense on what´s app...

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for being a good listener like Sandi, who was there for me on facebook like Lana. Plus Cem on the phone.

Kahara: I am grateful for your constant encouragement and wisdom.

I really do not deserve you guys at all!

DarthUncle likes this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Sure you do! :) Good chapter, by the way; seems that even strangers on Jedha notice something off with Orson. :( Well they should, I guess, considering what's implied to happen in the near future.

DarthUncle likes this.
  21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks, Kahara. Will try to eat something soon, hoping it stays inside. Just had a toasted bread and the contains of 3 tea pots with herbal tea today. Nothing else.

And I was this dizzy that I mixed up my Orson stories for the Celtic Challenge with the latest Sheev story, which is about banshees and the Last Unicorn.

But as for the update here, yes, dark times for Jedha will be up soon. You will see next weekend when this chapter continues.

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    My Jedha update continues:

DarthUncle

earlybird-obi-wan

Darth Gangrenous

thanks to Kahara who believes in this story as much as you guys do!

The sun is setting already as Orson and I come out of Shiraya's sanctuary. A pink horizon stretches above the Holy City, attacked by night shadows. Temperatures have dropped considerably.

Maul must have sneaked out of the holy grounds in a roundabout way.

Worried for the Zabrak, possibly on the run from my uncle, I readjust my head scarf and voice an old Naboo protection chant.

Blessed are we in the awakening dawn
    Blessed are we in the morning”

With military discipline Orson remains standing next to me, his arms behind his back.He wears his usual poker face. Even his eyes give nothing away.

Blessed are we in the light of the day
    As we feel the earth turning

Blessed are we as the twilight descends
    And the magic of dusk is upon us

Blessed are we in the dark of the night
    As we slip into dreams calling”

Full of yearning I gaze towards the Temple of the Whills.

The Garudamudra comes to me automatically. I place my right palm over the top of my left hand, spreading my fingers apart and crossing the thumbs.

My intuition heightens within several heartbeats.

Orson comes to life again. “Let's call it a day,” he yawns, politely covering his mouth with a gloved hand. “We had better check into a hostel long before midnight. You need rest.”

He is right. It has been an exciting day so far, full of emotions, unexpected meetings and uneasy truths. The Temple of the Whills can wait until tomorrow. I need a clear mind for my next act of rebellion.

Please, Ina!” he says, his eyes soft and pleading. “You waver like an ear of corn in the wind.”

Okay,” I breathe and take his offered arm.

While Orson and I zigzag through the still overcrowded streets, I cannot help feeling watched. It is not the unhealthy yellow of the dark side, though. At least two dozen humans smile at me. Standing at corners, on balconies or behind market stalls they reveal their Clan Tekka bracelets to me in silent salute. Men, women and children alike.

I wonder if Lor himself has been informed about my whereabouts by now. Thinking of him lightens my spirits again.

You are so smiley all of a sudden,” Orson observes.

It has been a very nice day with you. I enjoyed myself very much.”

It's not a total lie.

You are a strange creature, Ina. Scarif's lonely beaches cannot tempt you to stay, but this smelly, overcrowded sludge of a city turns you almost ecstatic.”

To this I have an easy explanation. “I lived on Coruscant, Orson. Therefore Jedha feels a bit like home.”

Imperial City does not smell of animal dump and frozen sweat.”

You have never been to the lower levels, right?” I grin, trying not to look too surprised that Sheev already renamed an entire planet in his honour.

His gaze narrows considerably. “What business would a kindieteacher have down there?”

You should rather ask yourself what an elderly gentleman like my uncle was doing there frequently.”

The less I know, the better,” he decides.

You just want the place of honour that you deserve within the Empire, right?”

Damned right. There are days I am tired of licking boots and dealing with arrogant arses like Tarkin,” he mutters into his scarf. “That blokealways gets what he wants. Just by being of noble descent.”

Life is not fair, Orson. It never was. Blood always wins out. And the way to the top is lonely.”

After a while we arrive in a much quieter, less populated area. The buildings here look well tended. Most of them are painted in cheerful colours.

Orson checks his chrono and then heads straight into an entrance.

This must be it! NiJedha Inn, a private bed and breakfast. It comes highly recommended from a good acquaintance of mine.” A boyish grin spreads all over his face, making him seem ten years younger. “He is an intelligence officer and travels a lot.”

Soon we end up in a clean double room. It has a little bathroom with a sonic shower, a washing basin and a toilet. The only obstacle, there is just one bed.

Orson makes a face. “She must have misunderstood me. I asked for a double.”

Supportive, I pat his back. “I don't mind at all. As long as you do not steal my blanket, it'll be fine.”

Before he can argue, I flop myself on the mattress and play snow angel with my arms and legs stretched out wide.

But we are not children any more,” he gives to consider, his gaze nervous.

Trust works both ways, Orson Callan Krennic!”

Sighing, he sinks down next to me. “I suppose.”

I reach out for my pillow and playfully whack him with it.

Laughing, he gets his own pillow and we engage in a chaotic fight until I have to yelp, “Ceasefire!”

When it is time to undress for the night, I am allowed into the bathroom first. Using old Naboo wisdom on female hair style, I braid my hair into two pig tails. This gives me a much younger appearance. My plain lavender night gown adds to the illusion of innocence.

Orson remains standing in front of me, his dark toilet bag pressed against his chest. “You know that the Emperor stayed two days by your bedside, gazing at you. He wanted nothing but to be left alone to enjoy your company. The Red Guards were unsettled.”

It does not surprise me to hear that. Sheev always enjoys guarding my sleep. My first memories are of his smiling face hanging above me. In such moments he could be a mere human and not a powerful Sith lord.

Why did my uncle leave without saying good-bye?” I ask, even though I know the answer.

Orson shrugs. “Something came up, I suppose. He didn't say.”

I have an idea: the Sith apprentice.

There is distrust between a master and his dark disciple, a constant fight for the upper hand. I experienced that first hand with Maul and was kept out of reach of Count Dooku most of the time. This means their successor is a dangerous foe and hard to control. Perhaps Sheev is still busy taming him.

While Orson is busy in the bathroom, I draw the blanket tight around me.

I wish I could warn Bail or his senate colleague Mon Mothma. They have to be aware that they are dealing with a Sith duo again. That means that the galaxy is in an even bleaker state than they feared it to be.

My sleep is uneasy that night. Orson snores like an entire squad of clone troopers. Several times he reaches out for me. He does not do it consciously, though. His sleeping pattern has not changed very much over the years. There is such a need in him.

When he rolls the opposite way, I get up and I sneak towards the bathroom unit.

I lock myself in and sink down on the toilet seat.

Orson would never do a body search on me, let alone a strip search.

A disposable comlink for one time use is hidden in a secret pocket in my panties. Boba gave it to me. It is bug-proof and cannot be detected easily.

Nervously I turn the device around in my hands.

It is tempting to send out a message, but second thoughts run like a herd of panicked banthas through my mind.

What if I get the person that I contact in severe trouble? Is it worth the risk?

Tomorrow morning I must converse with more key essential members of this community. This city needs to be protected by all means. It is the most holy place that is left in our galaxy. The source of many religions and civilisations.

I cannot have Sheev turn this moon upside down in his search for kyber crystals. He only gave Orson permission to bring me here so that I am able to experience the flair of the pilgrimage site before he poisons it.

You did not raise me to be stupid, Sheev,” I mumble.

I am scared to death when the comlink suddenly comes on.

Nagina!”

It is not my uncle. This is definitely Boba's voice with no tell-tale sign of modulation. He is not wearing a helmet then.

Ad'ika,”I beam in Mandalorian. Little one.

Where are you?” There is a subtle trace of buried emotions in his words. “My contacts on Lothal tell me that you have been off-planet for days. An Imperial officer, possibly ISB, was seen at your house several times.”

No worries,” I assure him, before he can offer to show up for the rescue. “I am with a former babysitter child of mine.”

A pause. Then he murmurs. “Not all of us deserve your trust. Never forget that.”

Despite everything, I laugh softly. “I do not have a bad feeling about Orson when it comes to me.”

A sigh on the other end.

You need to check about somebody else for me,” I add carefully. “His name is Galen Erso. He has a wife named Lyra and a daughter named Jyn. They all might be in great danger.”

Haar'chak!” Boba comments. Damn it! This is not the HoloNet series 'Coruscant Nights'. You are not a private detective.”

There is no need for you to delve into that,” I let him know, sounding aloof on purpose. “But if you still feel strongly about Geonosis, you can have revenge on the person truly responsible for your father's death.”

There is another snort, this time somewhat angry. “Rumour goes that Mace Windu fell out of a window when he tried to kill your uncle. That makes it even, don't you think?”

I wait.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din,”he says quietly. Family is more than blood. I will look into it and get an answer back to you in the usual way.”

I brace myself for his closing words.

Just stay alive, Nagina! Or I will revive you to kill you myself.”

The memories come to me unbidden. They do that at times. It is mostly stress that brings them forth. Like water corpses, they rise to the surface.

Grandfather Cosinga smiles that horrible smile again and fists my hair, dragging me down the stairs.

When I wake up in the present, screaming and thrashing, Orson is at my side. He wraps his arms and legs around me like a dragon’s claws. “Shush, Ina!” His voice is but a guttural rasp. “I am here.”

I feel the urge to struggle against him, but I am too wiped out. Physically. Emotionally. So I remain where I am, buried right under him.

Nobody can come past me,” he says, his lips at my left ear. “All is well!”

I wish that would be true, but my life is crowded with two men who care too much for my well-being. Who are too much alike. And the mere mortal is even more pushy and obsessive than the Sith lord who raised me as his own.

As I heave out a breath, Orson kisses my temple. “Fancy a sleeping pill?”
    Even though I feel as brittle as broken glass I find the willpower to shake my head.

Very well then.” He shifts us into a more comfortable position. “Ever tried muscular relaxation?”

To this I nod.

Let us start with your hands then.”

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Like to see Boba again

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    earlybird-obi-wan: And it feels good to have another reader who comments and cares for this fanfic. My husband DarthUncle is always an involuntary test listener and Kahara is always so kind to beta.

A lot of things go wrong for me at present, in my working life and in private. Writing used to be a nice outlet for me for many years, but now more and more doubts creep in as I already told you via email.

Thanks for being out there and being enthusiastic for Nagina and her tale, even if its written in 1st person.

Kahara likes this.
  25. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Quite a long update, took me a while to fully read and digest.

Interesting way to weave that in. And I am glad Nagina has some good thoughts about someone she loves - I hope we get to see more of him though!
    Heh, someone is being an ostrich, burying his head in the sand to escape the truth of his situation.
    Aww, a throwback to a more innocent time, nice to see some of the healthy bit of their relationship! And good to see they can be just friends travelling together for a bit.
    Boba, nice! And very Nagina /palpatine family to have a hidden communicator all this time. I like how boba is mellow abt the jedi now. But what is it about Nagina that makes everybody worry about her and attempt to nanny her?! I'd get very annoyed with that sometimes, were I Nagina. But I guess I am not :)
    Urgh, and she was only a little girl at the time. I wonder if she's as mellow about it as Boba, after her uncle killed all the family to stop this stuff ...
    Aww, that's sweet - the fact he can be so caring is a bit of a surprise, given some of what whe've seen of him. The sleeping pill seems a more typical way he'd go about 'solving' things, but I guess he did gain a measure of control over his urges, with that muscular relaxation.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.