"Raiders of the Lost Ark" soundtrack... Pricier than the Ark itself.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    This past Sunday evening I popped Radiers of the Lost Ark into my DVD player for the first time in a long time. Later that evening, as the credits rolled, it occurred to me that I don't own the amazing soundtrack to this film. The "Ark Them", the "Raiders March", the chase through the streets of Cairo cue-- I was missing it all!

So, I immediately logged on to Amazon.com to spend some well-earned birthday money on this iconic soundtrack. To make a long story short, all I found on Amazon was this:

Raiders of the Lost Ark at Amazon.com

What?!

I searched around the 'net for other places to buy the Raiders soundtrack. I found a few used copies on shady, backwater websites, and the only new copies that I located were priced around $155!

Is there no place where I can buy the Raiders soundtrack for a decent price? Granted, I could easily download it, but I honestly don't want to. I want to buy this. I want the physical CD, and the liner notes, and the cover art, and all that good stuff. But more importantly, a soundtrack this good deserves to be paid for. ...But not $50!

So, peoples of the Music Forum, I implore thee: does anyone know where I can buy the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack for a decent price? Or, more importantly, does anyone here own the Raiders soundtrack, and where did you buy it?

Thanks guys!
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Only one I found was on Amazon for 70. :p (It's mine now.)
  3. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I stumbled across a used copy at a record store here in town about a year ago and snagged it for $8! Let's just say I got REALLY lucky. I don't have any idea where you could get one for a reasonable price, but I would be willing to bet that when Indy IV is released, the first three soundtracks will all be released again. So, it might be wiser to wait; however, that could be quite a while....
  4. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty sure Hitler would have shelled out the 155 dollars for the Ark.
  5. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah sucky... It is a wonderful score. The one disc expanded version is out of print, for sure. I would say either spend the $47 on Amazon or be patient and wait for a re-release. I sure as hell ain't selling mine... ;)
  6. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is a compilation of all three films on one disk which has all the key themes. It isn't perfect, and they are re-recordings, but for the price of a normal CD you aren't going to find anything better.
  7. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i got mine maybe 6/7 years ago at an FYE store. it was a fluke that i even went in there, but i found mine. can't remember the exact price, but i know it was somewhere between $25-$30.

i just tried fye.com, but no such luck finding it, Sithman. If you really want it, i would just shell out the $50 and get it from amazon. unless plans are in the works to re-release it?

good luck, though!
  8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    The expanded release often goes for about $35 on Ebay.

Half.com has one at $38...

ttbk
  9. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Master

star 4
    I got mine at Ebay a few years ago--I don't think it was much more than $10-20. (If only I could find that kind of a deal for the Young Sherlock Holmes promo...) I say keep an eye out there.
  10. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    are there any outlet stores in your area? the reason i ask is becuase there is a chain of stores in my area called "Half-Price Books", but they also carry many used cd's and dvd's.

maybe a record exchange store, etc.

EDIT: Sithman, found a website that has it for $45 bucks:

http://www.musicmailexpress.com/php/search.php?term=raiders+of+the+lost+ark&waar=titel&hoe=exact&drager=all&genre=all

(sorry 'bout the 'cut & paste', but the board won't let me post it as a link!
  11. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Damn, good thing I bought this disc when it first came out.
  12. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Ebay is the only place to get a reasonable deal now if you must have the orignal version...
  13. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Meh... The Trilogy Compilation has some good cues, but not most of the ones I was looking for- as for the original ST, I can only agree with those above: E-bay is your friend. ;)
  14. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I have that CD. I picked up several years ago. But I couldn't imagine them being that high in price.
  15. __Vader__ Force Ghost

star 3
    Ouch. I am more concerned for the other two movies as I liked their music better. Are they anywhere near the price?
  16. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    The Last Crusade is easy enough to find, but the Temple of Doom will probably end up costing you a pretty penny.
  17. __Vader__ Force Ghost

star 3
    Heres hoping for a boxed set release come Indy IV.
  18. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Only as long as TOD is released in an expanded form. There is so much good unreleased material from that score that I would love to hear.
  19. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    How about Last Crusade? The boot doesn't do the film justice, but it shows that there is a lot of unused music, such as the unused Truck Escape and the Berlin Terminal.
  20. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    To everyone who has helped me thus far-- thank you. :)

Unfortunately, my quest for the Holy Grail of Indy soundtracks continues. Regrettably, I let two eBay auctions for the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" soundtrack slip through my fingers these past two days, losing them at the last minute to auction-sniping Nazis. I hate those guys.

I suppose I'll just continue to watch eBay and scour ancient maps for clues to the location of this soundtrack, but my current progress is disappointing. I have the feeling that my rod is too tall and that I'm digging in all the wrong places. If any of you guys have any helpful advice on where else I might try to buy the "Raiders" soundtrack for a decent price, I'd love to hear it. Just please don't give the info to the Nazis.

Thanks guys!
  21. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sithman!

i sent you a pm-make sure you check it!

--crash
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.