main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" soundtrack... Pricier than the Ark itself.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    This past Sunday evening I popped Radiers of the Lost Ark into my DVD player for the first time in a long time. Later that evening, as the credits rolled, it occurred to me that I don't own the amazing soundtrack to this film. The "Ark Them", the "Raiders March", the chase through the streets of Cairo cue-- I was missing it all!

So, I immediately logged on to Amazon.com to spend some well-earned birthday money on this iconic soundtrack. To make a long story short, all I found on Amazon was this:

Raiders of the Lost Ark at Amazon.com

What?!

I searched around the 'net for other places to buy the Raiders soundtrack. I found a few used copies on shady, backwater websites, and the only new copies that I located were priced around $155!

Is there no place where I can buy the Raiders soundtrack for a decent price? Granted, I could easily download it, but I honestly don't want to. I want to buy this. I want the physical CD, and the liner notes, and the cover art, and all that good stuff. But more importantly, a soundtrack this good deserves to be paid for. ...But not $50!

So, peoples of the Music Forum, I implore thee: does anyone know where I can buy the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack for a decent price? Or, more importantly, does anyone here own the Raiders soundtrack, and where did you buy it?

Thanks guys!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Only one I found was on Amazon for 70. :p (It's mine now.)

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I stumbled across a used copy at a record store here in town about a year ago and snagged it for $8! Let's just say I got REALLY lucky. I don't have any idea where you could get one for a reasonable price, but I would be willing to bet that when Indy IV is released, the first three soundtracks will all be released again. So, it might be wiser to wait; however, that could be quite a while....

4. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Hitler would have shelled out the 155 dollars for the Ark.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah sucky... It is a wonderful score. The one disc expanded version is out of print, for sure. I would say either spend the $47 on Amazon or be patient and wait for a re-release. I sure as hell ain't selling mine... ;)

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    There is a compilation of all three films on one disk which has all the key themes. It isn't perfect, and they are re-recordings, but for the price of a normal CD you aren't going to find anything better.

7. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    i got mine maybe 6/7 years ago at an FYE store. it was a fluke that i even went in there, but i found mine. can't remember the exact price, but i know it was somewhere between $25-$30.

i just tried fye.com, but no such luck finding it, Sithman. If you really want it, i would just shell out the $50 and get it from amazon. unless plans are in the works to re-release it?

good luck, though!

8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    The expanded release often goes for about $35 on Ebay.

Half.com has one at $38...

ttbk

9. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    I got mine at Ebay a few years ago--I don't think it was much more than $10-20. (If only I could find that kind of a deal for the Young Sherlock Holmes promo...) I say keep an eye out there.

10. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    are there any outlet stores in your area? the reason i ask is becuase there is a chain of stores in my area called "Half-Price Books", but they also carry many used cd's and dvd's.

maybe a record exchange store, etc.

EDIT: Sithman, found a website that has it for $45 bucks:

http://www.musicmailexpress.com/php/search.php?term=raiders+of+the+lost+ark&waar=titel&hoe=exact&drager=all&genre=all

(sorry 'bout the 'cut & paste', but the board won't let me post it as a link!

11. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Damn, good thing I bought this disc when it first came out.

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ebay is the only place to get a reasonable deal now if you must have the orignal version...

13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Meh... The Trilogy Compilation has some good cues, but not most of the ones I was looking for- as for the original ST, I can only agree with those above: E-bay is your friend. ;)

14. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I have that CD. I picked up several years ago. But I couldn't imagine them being that high in price.

15. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    Ouch. I am more concerned for the other two movies as I liked their music better. Are they anywhere near the price?

16. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    The Last Crusade is easy enough to find, but the Temple of Doom will probably end up costing you a pretty penny.

17. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    Heres hoping for a boxed set release come Indy IV.

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Only as long as TOD is released in an expanded form. There is so much good unreleased material from that score that I would love to hear.

19. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    How about Last Crusade? The boot doesn't do the film justice, but it shows that there is a lot of unused music, such as the unused Truck Escape and the Berlin Terminal.

20. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    To everyone who has helped me thus far-- thank you. :)

Unfortunately, my quest for the Holy Grail of Indy soundtracks continues. Regrettably, I let two eBay auctions for the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" soundtrack slip through my fingers these past two days, losing them at the last minute to auction-sniping Nazis. I hate those guys.

I suppose I'll just continue to watch eBay and scour ancient maps for clues to the location of this soundtrack, but my current progress is disappointing. I have the feeling that my rod is too tall and that I'm digging in all the wrong places. If any of you guys have any helpful advice on where else I might try to buy the "Raiders" soundtrack for a decent price, I'd love to hear it. Just please don't give the info to the Nazis.

Thanks guys!

21. Crash_Davis

Mar 31, 2006
    sithman!

i sent you a pm-make sure you check it!

--crash

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.