Raiders revisited

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Kenneth-Morgan, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Knight

star 3
    According to a news item on the Internet Movie Database, "Raiders" may be getting the SE treatment. The item quotes Frank Marshall as saying that, based on the good results of the new & improved version of "E.T.", there are plans to re-do the effects in "Raiders".

On the one hand, technology may be able to restore the film to a prisine visual quality. That would be worth a try.
    On the other hand, the effects in the film are good enough. I don't believe they need a whole lot of "improvment".

Besides, here's a nasty thought: The swordsman shoots first!
  2. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    There's nothing to improve in my opinion, messing with it can only be a bad idea.
  3. Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    This just proves Lucas' greed.First Star Wars,then ET,now Indy.
  4. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    <<This just proves Lucas' greed.First Star Wars,then ET,now Indy.>>

Uhhh, Lucas was not at all involved with ET in anyway. He did not even Executive Produce it. That was all Speilberg. Indy was directed by Speilberg, but Lucas wrote the story, and I believe Executive Produced it, as well
  5. Jedi Miester Force Ghost

star 3
    I heard the same news report and thought the same thing. What are they thinking?

The thing is, I don't see how an SE edition could significantly improve the series. I mean, Special Effects are not giant parts of these movies, the actors and action is the centerpiece. I sure hope that hollywood doesn't get on some SE kick where they're making SEs of movies that really don't require it.
  6. BobaFett688 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The swordsman-shoots-first thing...funny stuff!

The only effects on Raiders I think needs to be tinkered with is the shot where everyone melts at the end. That was pretty fake-looking, but it's not worth the time or money for ILM to go back and fix that one part and call it a Special Edition.

Now, an boxed DVD set...that's another story...
  7. GBJackson2002 Jedi Padawan

Personally, I think there are a few scenes which could use smoothing out... The scene with Toht's face melting was clearly a stop-motion effect. There are also varrious elements durring the opening of the Ark scene with the spirits flying around that could be smoothed out a bit.

Also, When Indy falls into the Well of the Souls, you can see the cobra's reflection on the glass barrier between it and Harrison Ford.

But the big thing that could be done with a special edition of IJatRotLA is to add in scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. All movies have them, and most studios will hold onto a master copy of the uncut film for archive purposes.

There is a lot they can do to Indy1 that would add to it without taking anything from it.

The only alteration I didn't like in SW:ANH-SE was the "Greedo shoots first" garbage. I don't know why Lucas really felt that Han shooting first was such a bad thing. Yes, it was a violent, cold-blooded act, but no more cold-blooded than Greedo obviously intended to be.

Anyway, I am all for them giving Indy1 a facelift and a few modifications. Just as long as they don't change the story itself
  8. PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whatever they do with the movie, just give us the frickin DVDs already! What the heck has been holding them up???

Sorry, I'm just impatient that my 3 favorite series are not out yet!!!!
  9. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    The DVDs aren't here yet because Lucas wants Spielberg to do commentary and he doesn't do that. He thinks they take away from the experience.
  10. Dubya_Fett Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm all in favour of a ROTLA special edition, if only to preserve the film's original image and sound quality for future generations. I saw an old print at a recent screening and it was pretty poor.

-Dubya Fett
  11. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd only like a Raiders SE if it meant the DVD being released.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.