main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rainbow Bridge - Tributes

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    A hard post to write today. Here at Santa Cruz FF, our pets are more than that, they are members of our family... they are our kids.

At my household we have been hit hard with a double loss. Hence, the reference to the Rainbow Bridge and a way to pay a small tribute to those that have transcended into the Force and brought so much into our lives.

Approxitely two weeks ago, my hairless male rat, James, made his transition. He fought a brave fight against re-occuring pnenumonia and with the help of my incredible vet, won many small battles. However, it became apparent that this final bout was to be his last, and with the mutual decision of all involved, he was released from this life.

This morning, another member of our family also was helped in his transition. Captn Jack, my jumbo grey (affectionately known as my "ship's rat" due to his size and looks) lost his battle with cancer. Again, he fought bravely, but as the end came near, another painful decision was made under the advisement of his vet, to prevent any further suffering.

These little guys, though small, had huge hearts and returned so much more to us than they could ever know. They will be missed and eternally loved.

I want to thanks everyone who has expressed their condolences, and to my worderful vet, who never looked at them as "just a rat" but as the individual personalities and beings that they were.

I decided to open this thread for any and all, Santa Cruz and beyond, that have suffered the loss of a pet/family member.

Jack, James...you will be missed.

:_| [:D]

2. Ultimate_Mamas_Boy

Ultimate_Mamas_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    For those who wish to know.
    The rats jack and will's mother as well as their brothers all passed within the last 3 months.
    They have short lives and big hearts, which makes the loosing of them harder. My fondest line in a book was "rats are people too", a small child feeding a rat and recalling her father calling some one a dirty rat. Rats are indeed people too.

3. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    i am sorry for your loss, kim. i really liked jack.

both of my babies are gone too... my hairless, was i think, pneumonia like yours. the last one passed while i was at comicon, cancer as well.

i have never subscribed to the "just an animal" school of thought. they really are little people, and will be missed.

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm so sorry for your losses--all of you who've posted here. I've owned 5 rats throughout my life, and only stopped owning them due to becoming pretty allergic to their little furry selves. They are smart, affectionate, cute, and all together wonderful pets.

*HUG*

It's sad that our furry family members don't live very long, but it's clear that they got the best care and love they could possibly have, and led full and happy little rat lives.

- Kai

5. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Kim,
    I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how important they were to you and Josie.
    I have never had rats as pets but I do know how big a part of our life our companions can be no matter the species.

Take care.
    Bette

6. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm really sorry to hear about it. I imagine it must be especially hard loosing both of them in a short period of time.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *hugs to Mom* I remember when my rat Cocoa died. :( Sorry about your loss!

8. The-Bald-Wookiee

The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Oh man!:( It's rough to lose a little one, I'm so sorry.

Everything has it's time on this plane, and though some are with us only briefly their effects on us and the love we feel for them are not diminished, nor is their passing any easier to bear. The most important thing is to cherish the time you had, and remember all the good stuff. Life is too short for any less.

Be strong, you have lots of people who care about you, and our thoughts are with you Josie right now!

[:D]

MTFBWY

9. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I know the sadness that comes with having a "friend" cross the Rainbow Bridge. I lost two of my birds this Spring and unfortunately I wasn't with them..which hurt more than actually being there. I felt i had somehow betrayed them.

I am currently working with rats and mice at UCD, so I know how much fun these little guys are now.

My thoughts are with you Master--K [:D]

10. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Aww, I'm so sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your little ones... *sigh*

I lost my Golden Retriever fur-son, Ben, this December... just after Christmas. He was 13 years old... and his last month was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through... topped only by the day I had to admit his time had come. He gradually lost all mobility over the course of a month & we'd been carrying him everywhere (90 lbs of him)... but when he got to the point he couldn't even crawl to potty, *sigh*... the moments we all dread in the our time shared with our furbabies...

Ben was with us for 12 years and was my best bud & constant companion. I miss him so very much... while trying to be grateful for the times we did have and know in my heart we gave him a wonderful, long, healthy life. Our pets become our family, if only we have the courage to let them into our hearts.

*big hugs* Hang in there, m'dear...

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    What a georgous boy Ben was. Thanks for sharing the link. [:D] Its always hard to lose any of them..., but I've always been thankful for all the critters that enter my life..and those that are still with me now: my Draft Horse, Merlin, my cats,Mushu and Stitch, my boston terrier (that keeps my Mom company...the granddog)Mickey, to James daughters (and Jack's nieces), Leia and Moose that are affectionately known as the "Piddle Princesses" Love each and everyone of them... :)

Thanks again for sharing and know that whenever the need is there..this thread is available.

Master K

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Another loss in our family today. My Boston Terrier, Mickey, who had been keeping our Mom full-time company since the loss of our Dad, made his transition into the Force today. He was a gift to me from Josie when I went through a nasty divorce, a flat-nosed, barrel-chested little bundle of hyperactive joy, all 6 weeks old of him that helped me through an incredibly rough time in my life. While I went back to school, Mom and Dad babysitted him, while he had his own human playpen, and diaper bag full of his toys and goodies. My Dad was incredibly attached to him, and when I moved about 5 years ago, Dad kept coming over to "pickup Mickey so he can spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa" and the stays kept getting longer and longer until he finally stayed with them almost full time, and it was joked that I got "visitation rights." When Dad was diagnosed with Male Breast Cancer 3 years ago, Mickey was by his side constantly...and helped all of us get through that time. After Dad transitioned, he was Mom's constant companion. A very spoiled, very very VERY loved "Little Man." as he was known.

Due to Mickey being more inbred than one would think possible, our Vet informed us when he was still small that "anything more than 6 years would be a gift." Well, the Force blessed us with a total of 10 years with him. He celebrated his last Birthday on April 8th. While today is hard on Josie and I, it is Mom that is taking it the worst. She is staying with us for a few days so she doesn't have to go home to an empty house yet. And we already feel the hole in our hearts when we look at the empty collar and harness and know that there is an empty bed and a overfilled toybox that won't be used anymore.

Due to his inbreeding, he suffered from a congenital heart defect that finally took it's toll. Our Vet and Mom agreed that it was time to release him, his ashes are going to be spread around our Dad's grave so that they can be togeather and Dad can continue to spoil him.

Thanks for letting me just talk.

Hugs to all,

Kim

13. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I am so sorry. It's definitely been a rough year for you and your family. Know my love goes out to you all. I'm glad the little guy got such a long life--longer than expected--to share with you all, and that he brought such joy to you during that time. It's clear he was well-loved in turn.

You know my number if you want to call and talk...anytime.

- Kai

14. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I am very sorry to hear about Mickey. It is hard to imagine that he was as old as he was as he still looked and at times acted like a puppy. I know he gave you and Josie much joy and then your parents. I remember when Mickey began going to spend the weekend and then just sort of stayed one day. He was loved and gave ten times his size in love.

Blessed Be

Bette

15. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    my sympathies to you two and to your mom- i am so sorry that you have lost another family member and friend. how lucky you all were, to have him so much longer than expected, but it is still heartbreaking when they go.

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Thank you all...even the last time I saw him on Sunday, there was still bits of puppy in him at times... Yeah,, those weekends became longer and longer...then, suddenly, I had the "visitation rights" [face_mischief] My Dad and Mom just spoiled him even more than he was already.

It seems that there has been just too many losses for all of us lately. I feel for each and everyone of you in your own losses. Now, it can just stop at any time...(sad smile)...

Hugs to all and thank you again.

Kim

17. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    [:D]

yeah, enough already!
    no matter how many feet they walk on, our friends are too precious and few- every loss diminishes us.

18. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Aww, Kim... I'm so sorry to hear of yet another furbaby who had to say goodbye [face_worried] I'm sure they were 10 wonderful years you'd not trade for anything.

*big hugs* from me and *licks and leans* from my 2 danes :)

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Adyn, thanks for the hugs and the "Licks and leans". Have always loved Danes and perhaps someday I can get the chance to meet your kids.

Hugs back at ya

Kim

20. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    *sigh*
    I had another feather-baby cross the Bridge today.
    My little budgie "T-bird" made his last voyage. I wasn't there when he passed, but I know why. Sometimes we wonder if something we did caused our little ones to pass, sometimes we know.

Farewell little one, fly strong.

21. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm so sorry to hear about all your losses. We have had many cats over a long time, which means that we have a number of losses ourselves. It never gets any easier, but with time the pain does at least fade and other things help to fill the emptiness.

All the best,

DLS

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Tionne, I am SO Sorry to hear about your feathered baby. ((hug)) It's amazing how much love can be packed into so little of a person. ((hug again))

Know that Jos and I are with you in spirit.

23. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Thanks Kim and Jos. The support of my friends has kept me going this week.
    My room is so quiet now.

24. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    I didn't think this house could get any quieter.

For the past week I have been watching my last feather-baby, a dove, slowly die.
    He was a beautiful soul up until the very end. Stubborn and flighty, he was a challenge for me.
    Named for and by my high school crush, Dave brought contented coo-ing noises every morning (not always welcome on weekends).

There's a strange emptiness that comes with letting another pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.
    Now I just have my Collie...but she is very good at giving Collie-hugs when I need a friend and none are nearby.

Fly free, little one. Someday we'll meet again.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *super hugs* Sorry to hear that, Bridge! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.