main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    You can also see them when she is stepping out of the boat in the forbidden love trailer. Sorry :eek:( waaaay too tired to look up an online pic.

EDIT: just had surgery, so I promise I'm not just being lazy! [face_clown]

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Look at these! :D

[image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-10.jpg]

[image=http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/polish/g-11.jpg]

3. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Obi-Dawn you are wonderful!! I don't know where you got those pictures, but they help so much with those sleaves. I couldn't quite figure out how they worked. From the picture it looks like the fabric underneath the Chiffon is shimmery silk.

(Good then the fabric I bought will work!) *smiles in relief*

4. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I was just about to post those Obi-Dawn! You beat me to it. :)

GREAT reference for the bodice and hair of this costume.

-sg

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    jedi_blynnj, I got them out of a thread in the spoiler forum. They originated from a foreign website. :)

hi sg!
    They are really good pics aren't they? :D
    The sleeves are very pretty and these are good reference shots for her hair.

Now....if we can only find some more shots like these for the picnic dress.........

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Here's a full length shot of the same picture:

[image=http://www.stopklatka.pl/film/01200/01219/g-9.jpg]

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    How great are all the new pics! I love them! Now we know what the dress looks like in detail. My husband just emailed them to me from work and I had to jump on here to see if they had been posted. What do you guys think about that "neck gear?" Does it just lay over the fabric or is it an actual necklace? Looks like a necklace to me....

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    It *is* just a necklace! :eek: Check out the top picture that shows her hair really well - sure enough! Wow! Jeez, the way the dress fabric drapes, and the angle of the necklace, you'd think they were attached! Well, hey, since they're not, that should make the dress construction quite a bit easier. :)

kreleia ^.^

9. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    My computer does not like to load pics! Can you tell me where in the spoiler forum you found them? I'm sooooooo glad its not actual part of the dress! That would have been really hard!

10. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    Obi-Dawn the full length picture is now gone. And I tried to go to the spolier thread and it's gone there too! Could you e-mail it to me if you still have it? There was also some pics of the light blue dress that are not coming up. Could you send those too? B_Lynn20@hotmail.com

Thanks!

11. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Ladies, the webmaster for the Padawan's Guide got these pics before they were taken down, and she's uploaded them to her site. :D I have no affiliation to her site -- it's just one that I use frequently for reference pics!

12. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Thanks for posting the link to that site! It was really helpful!

13. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    Thank Obi-Dawn that helps me so much! That picture of the Rainbow Dress is really gonna help me with my costume.

14. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey any of your girls wanting to do the rainbow outfit!

I only have to get some shoes and the choker and silver bands-and it has only taken me 3 hours and cost me 15$! In my opinion this is the simplest and cheapest way to do this dress! Here's how I did it and I will try to scan in a pic when I'm done!

#1: The yellow part of the dress I got from ripping out the bottom thin part of my mother's old yellow prom dress-then all you need to do is tuck it into the armbands over the bodice!
    So if you have old dresses there's a source of fabric (or from second hand stores)

#2: When you look at the second hand stores, also look for nightgown material because it will be thin like the dress, and look for pastel shades-NO dyeing necessary! I took a nightgown with straps that was plain light pink and used the cloak type coverup that came with it-also thin and pink-to tie around the waist to add volume and to eliminate it being see-through

#3: I already had thin pale blue (instead of purple) material so I tucked it into the back of the dress and into the armbands!

#4: Final touch: I bought a light purple scarf (3$ added to 12$ for dress; even with jewelry I don't think the total will be more than $20) and I am wrapping part of it around an old headband then the rest wrapping around my hair in a french braid-if you find all this stuff right away it shouldn't take you longer than a few hours to go from scratch to done!

15. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Pictures!! Does anyone have them saved?!?!?! I hate how they are taking pictures down! I didn't get to save anything! :_|

Shaden *^_^*

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Check this out: My Padme Amidala Archives
    It's one of the pages to my website, dedicated to pics of this dress. Hope this helps!

17. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    I have a question about this dress. On one the pictures you can see the bottom part of her sleave. it looks like there is a 1-2 inch ribbon of the underneath fabric. It seems to follow just the bottom of the sleaves and around the top where it wraps around her arm. Am I just crazy or is that really what it looks like. Also, do any of you think that this "ribbon" look might be any where else on the dress?

18. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    I didn't notice the ribbon, what pic did you look at?

19. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I think I see it. It looks like a different kinda of material around the top of the sleves and at the top of the dress aroud the neck line. . It reminds me of the material they used to wrap flees blankets with, kinda satin like. . . Could be just the fabric tho. . . Humm. . .

Shaden *^_^*

20. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    here is the picture I am talking about. There is a shimmery fabric around the bottom of her sleaves and around the top of the dress.

Amidala_wannabe-After taking a better look, I agree I think it may be satin fabric rather then some type of ribbon. Thanks!

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I can see what you're talking about too. I hadn't noticed it before. Here are the close-ups for quick reference:

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/costumes/triumph/triumph_np.com/g-10.jpg]

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/costumes/triumph/triumph_np.com/g-11.jpg]

22. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    I wanted to bump this topic up, cause I am still trying to make this gown.

Question 1# : Does anyone have any idea how to do her hair for this gown? My hair is a little to short, so I was going to do extentions or a wig. Any suggestions on how to keep that curve shape?

Question #2 : Goes along with the hair question. The hair accessories, what are those made of?

Any help would be most appriecated!

23. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    The accessories in her hair just look like padded fabric-covered head bands. You can find headband "blanks" at craft stores. As for the *size* difference, though, you'd probably have to be a bit more creative. Maybe use the inside rings of smaller embroidery hoops, glue on some padding, and wrap in fabric. **shrug** Or maybe there are doll headbands you could use...

I wish I could give you an idea about how to do the hair itself. As it is, I haven't a clue either. Maybe queenseamstress knows, or has some ideas - she's the resident hairdresser, afterall. ;)

kreleia ^.^

24. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    have you thought about putting a hairpiece or extensions around a (foam maybe?) form of some sort?

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Gosh, I don't know about the hair stuff......
    What I'm having a problem with is the arm/neck bands, I can't seem to find the stuff to make it, or how!