main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Off TFN main site....here is an E! screen capture showing the details of the top of this dress....

[image=http://theforce.net/episode2/newspics/prestar6.jpg]

2. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    For the armbands and necklace. You can make it outta PVC Sintra. It works really well. Just try typing in PVC Sintra on a search engine and you can find a place to that will sell it to you. You can also find instructions on how to heat bend it. I can get you exact sites. Let me look through my list of addresses. And I'll get back to you.

Mrs. M- Thank you so much, that helps with how the chiffon connects to the arms of the dress!

3. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Thanks so much! I'd REALLY aprecaite it!:)

4. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
  5. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Wow! we have seen so much more of this dress now! Access Hollywood/E!/Making of...Video all show so much of it! I am downloading the video from the main site right now, and as soon as my freakishly slow connection finishes, I'll post screen shots from it.

6. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Thanks for the info jedi blynnj. :)

Mrs Mayim, oh goody, I can't wait to see the pics! Oh gosh, I understand how darth slow computer can be!

7. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Does anyone have any still pics of the Video 11 with the Rainbow Outfit?

I'm trying to watch the video and put it on pause but it is very hard! :_|

8. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Jadepadawan..

There are a lot of pics in this thread
    of the rainbow gown.. hope this helps.
    (They are down a bit of the way.. just keep
    going there are quite a few of them)

9. jadepadawan

Feb 12, 2002
    Thanks afaeryschild-those are GREAT-cause of the size I can see a lot of detail, although it does show me a lot of my inaccuracies! LOL

What are people doing for fabric colour-because I notice that depending on the light mine are either exact are off...

10. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    jadepadawan
    what type of fabric are you useing? Are you dyeing it?

11. jadepadawan

Feb 12, 2002
    Princess1:

on the 2nd page of this thread you can read what I did instead of dyeing. But then again, mine is nowhere NEAR as accurate as your girls' costumes.

Basically, if you look at http://members.aol.com/jpalotay/rainbow.html
    my colour is very accurate in shading: where she is walking with Anakin, but in the pic of her in full length at

www.geocities.com/mrsmayimnaar/Rainbow.html

the shading looks a little different cause of the light...my back is also blue instead of purple because it looks that way in the Forbidden Love trailer instead of Video 11...

12. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    It sounds to me as if your colors will be fine. But if you want the exzact colot, go to a fabric store and buy some chiffion in the color you want and use the same as the other fabric, but as the top layer. Then you will have a more draping effect and hopefully the colors you want. As for the back purple part, the color I used was periwinkle.

13. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    I finally finished the inside part of the dress. now I have to attach the chiffon. it took me a little longer then I thought, cause I've never sewn with 100% silk. I ended up putting a zipper in the back. I've looked at the back of this dress a zillion times. And I think I can cover the zipper with chiffon that gathers in the back. I'll tack the gather together, after I dye it, so that the gradient has the righ affect.

I also ordered my dye from Darhmas Trading. So that should be here in about a week.

14. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    new picture here

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Wow! that pic is HUGE! Such good details! And how incredible is that background? I want to go to Italy! [face_clown]

EDIT: Does anyone else think that looks like blanket binding around the edge of her sleeve/drape in front?

16. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey, your right, it does! :)

17. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    I got my dye in yesterday. I just need to get through my finals next week and then I can dye my fabric! Well, almost. I just need to finish the sleaves with chiffon. But then I'm almost done!

With just enough time to work on the hair and jewelery!

18. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    back of hair:
    [image=http://theforce.net/episode2/newspics/etpreview-14.jpg]

front view...nothing new, but cool:
    [image=http://theforce.net/episode2/newspics/etpreview-13.jpg]

19. jedi_blynnj

Feb 5, 2002
    I know there are other people doing this dress! So come on and post an up date - I dying to know how you all are doing! :)

I'm still working with the chiffon. I'm still looking for some pictures to help. I thought some of the new books today, would have some new pictures, but I didn't find any. Not even in the paper doll book. I've figured out the back and the sleaves, but I really need help with the front of this dress.

I've got tons of pictures, but there are a lot of folds that make it hard to see how the fabric is cut.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I will be almost finished with the sewing part!

20. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    personally, I found the chiffion to be the hardest part! What I did was use two difernt peices for the back and front and sewed the yellow togerther at the arms, I then did all sorts of draping stuff, I'll try and think how to explain and come back and tell everyone later!

21. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    where is everyone? By the way, hows everyone doing with the arm bands? Their driving me crazy! If I put anything up there, it keeps cutting off my circulation!

22. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    I can't wait to see everyone's pics of this dress when they have their finished product. It is really beautiful and with all the pics we have seen lately. This is definitely on my Must Sew list. Good luck with the arm bands princess1.

23. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    UP!!!! All of our Padme threads are dying!

BTW, go to the front page of The Padawan's Guide for a very interesting thing about this dress -- that I'm not allowed to post directly to this thread.

24. bethie

bethie Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    I'm trying to make a halter top that resembles this dress so I can wear it on a normal basis. Can anyone give me any ideas and tell me how to dye the fabric, like step by step :)!!!

25. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I am copy/pasting an excellent post by surlygirlie from this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that a technique known as ombre dye was used for the handmaiden costumes. It's a pain in the behind, but the effect is phenomenal. Here's a quick and dirty rundown on how it works:

Start with a fabric that's the lightest shade of your gradient (In this case, yellow). Prepare a LARGE size vat of dye in the darkest shade of your gradient (orange, in this case). If you have a house with enough bathrooms that you can spare a tub for a couple of days, that's probably your best bet. You'll need to rig a clothesline directly above your vat of dye. Now, wet the fabric and hang it over the vat so that one end sits in the dye solution. Wait for a long time. (A day or 2) The orange will creep up into the yellow fabric and create that cool gradient effect.

Of course, as with all dye techniques, this one benefits from testing, so if you have some spare fabric, you should definitely do some experimenting first. You may find that you'll have to re-wet the fabric as it hangs with a spray bottle to get the look you want. Every fabric seems to react to pigmentation a little differently, so again, TEST!