main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks again for your replies! [face_blush]
    Obi Anne
    Of course! You are welcome.:)

2. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Jade- The bias does take a lot of fabric, plus when dealing with such a large surface area and such wimpy fabric, it gets very very twisty (I know this from hard experience).

Jaina-- I considered hand sewing it, but I wimped out. You're right, that would look better :)

3. xFALLEN_JEDIx

xFALLEN_JEDIx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Still wondering, How about the seashell hair bands, any one have any ideas?

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Maybe you can buy these kind?s of hairbands and cover them in purple fabric. Then you can embroider them and attach some pearls on it?

5. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks Kay Dee!
    Oh, I know it needs some alterning. But this was the closest one.:( I'm too far from professional in sewing, but I hope I can deal with it.

Damn, I'm very sorry. This massage is for the theme "Leia's Ceremonial gown from ANH" May be moderators can remove it.

6. Rebel_Princess_Leici

Rebel_Princess_Leici Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    I have a picture of my necklace. The color is actually perfect. It looks just like shell. It doesn't show well enough in this picture though.

http://www.geocities.com/frufrumgoo/necklace.html

7. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Ooooh, I wish I could see it better!!! Need a better picture!!! :) What color/brand polish was "the one?" I had a good color, but I'd like to see if there's better out there.

8. Rebel_Princess_Leici

May 7, 2005
    the painting process took forever. I cut the pieces outof the lids of some ice cream buckets and the glued them all together. The plastic didn't like my pearl colors much so I spray painted it gold as a base color. After that I put on layers and layers and layers of plain pearl craft paint. After the gold didn't shine through anymore I started with the nail polish. Nail polish is hard to work with because it is so thick and drys really quickly. I had to do it over and over to get it to look just right. The color I used was called Golden Halo and the brand was Orly. I got it at called Sally Hansens beauty supply store. Finally I used gold puffy paint for the trim. Next time I'll paint the gold on some other way. The puffy paint looks...well like puffy paint. :)

It was really easy though the armbands are a bit more complicated. If I have time I'll try and make a better one.

9. xFALLEN_JEDIx

xFALLEN_JEDIx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Hello, anyone have the pattern for the necklace? Mine is terrible. PM me with details Please!

THANKS!

10. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    HI! This is my first time on the boards.....
    I've made a "first draft" of the necklace and armbands. I used sintra (the size they gave me off a scrap piece was too thick, though). I first made a template from regular paper so that it would bend easily around my neck. I'm still not satisfied with the size and shape....anyway, I attempted to use gold leaf for the edging, which turned into a big mess (I'm still sweeping gold flecks off the floor!). So I found a sharpie marker called poster paint in gold. It gives a nice burnished gold color without the shine (it won't stick unless the piece is primed). Plus, it's easy to manipulate around the edges. The paints I used for the mother of pearl was your basic craft paint in white pearl with a few topcoats of nail polish. I found a color called Walk on the Ocean by SpaRituals at Aveda. It was a little pricey, but I love the blueish pearl sheen it gives off.
    Maybe on my next attempt I'll cut the sintra into layering pieces..the four layers under the "choker" part look as though they are attached one on top of the other.

By the way...does anyone have an idea for the "brooch" placed on the lower back area of the gown? Is there even a brooch? When I zoom in, it looks like there's something there...any advice would be helpful.

I have received so much advice from the forum....keep up the good work, guys!!!

-----Ash:)

11. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Hi, everyone. :) I'm thinking about perhaps trying to make this costume for prom next year and I was wondering, on a scale from 1 to 10, how hard is it? And does the dye-ing process make it about times harder?

12. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Ash, I had the pleasure of seeing this gown first hand at a fashion show in NYC and there is a brooch type thing on the back of the dress with trails of beads, there is also one on the front holding the piece hanging down.

See these pics for more detail...
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/dressingagalaxynyc/Lake11.jpg]
    This image shows the brooch very well. Its a MOP with hanging strings of tiny iridescent beads.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/dressingagalaxynyc/large/Lake19.jpg]
    This image was taken and blown up from one of the runway shots, and then the color was saturated so the design showed better. This is how the brooch looks on both back and front.

Hope these photos are of help to you :D. You can veiw the rest of them here http://imageevent.com/benaequee/dressingagalaxynyc

13. Lelila_

Lelila_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey guys... I've been looking for resources on doing the underdress part for a formal event in January. I tried searching for the patterns mentioned on the first page of the posts, but no luck. I know Ferd made a prom version of the dress, but there's no way to contact her on the website. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

14. Rebel_Princess_Leici

May 7, 2005
    I haven't got pictures up yet but I finished my final version of this dress. I will post them up when I get good pics done. I noticed something at Walmart the other day. In my eyes I see three small flowers on the front, holding it all together as well as a small one on the back. Both with seed beads hanging down and all with pearls in the centers. The craft section at Walmart has a variety of beads and shells and there are perfect mother of pearl flowers that would work great. There are only five or six petals on the Walmart ones and there appear to be more on the actual dress but still, they are the perfect size!

15. Rebel_Princess_Leici

May 7, 2005
    Benae, do you remember how long the strands of beads in the back were?

16. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    They looked like they were maybe 8"-10" long. It was hard to tell as she was walking. I think it was also because I was in such awe at the fact that the dress was actually being shown. When I saw it enter the stage I let out quite the loud gasp and squeal [face_blush].

17. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Benae-
    I am sooooo jealous!! That had to be a total rush to see the real dress!! The pictures were awesome. I love the way the beads hang down on both pieces.I'm a total bead freak anyway-it took about 2000 different beads to make the necklace for my corset dress...drool. Anyway, I finished the ring that holds the gathered silk in the front of the dress. At Kmart, they have these hard plastic ponytail covers by Scrunchi(?). I primed and painted mine mother of pearl before attaching iridescent beads. The best part about these little contraptions is that they have rubber grips so when you clip the ends together, it stays without shifting or snagging the fabric and doesn't move until you unclip it. They come in packs of 2 (black and brown tortoise) and run about $3. Up until now, I couln't figure out how the heck to get anything attached to the front without slipping or snagging. I hope this idea works out for some of you. It'll take me forever to finish the rest...oh, well, there's always DragonCon 06...
    ---Ashlee

18. Lelila_

Lelila_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    I found another pattern that may work well if slightly modified... for the underdress at least: Vogue V7365. Hope this helps!

19. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Here's my version of the Pastel Gown, I didn't do the sleeves because I didn't have enough fabric, also this was sort of another practice run. :p I also don't have the fancy necklace or shell pieces on the back or on the knot in front. :p

Pastel Gown

Close up

~Spacelady

20. Rebel_Princess_Leici

May 7, 2005
    Spacelady-

Are there three straps like the Sleepless Knights gown? The colors are lovely! I wish I could see a pic of you in it though.

21. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Actually there isn't. There is only one tie in the back of the neck. The shape of the neckline is the same (or close to it :p ) as Padme's, and at that point in time, I only had that clip hanger to use. :p

On the under gown of the dress: I originally started with that silky fabric as the under down, and I did dye that all those colors as well, but in the pictures of the gown (that I saw at the time) It didn't look silky to me, so I put together a skirt and dyed it those colors... I don't even think I've sewn in that skirt... then again, I still need to sew the over gown to the under gown. [face_blush] :p

I'll see if I can get a pic up of me wearing... after I sew it up first. :p

Also, thanks for the compliment of the colors! :D In the close up picture, actually, you can sort of see where the fabric dragged through the dye beads. :( It really shows up if you look close enough, because the dye color was yellow, but it dragged through... purple dye beads. [face_plain] I can't stand it when my material does that. :p

~Spacelady

22. Actress

Actress Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2005
    Hey Guys i'm new but I want to make this dress for prom. And i was wondering what pattern i should use to start the underdress. I know the padawan site suggusted McCalls 3933 but I looked ofr it and since it was dicscontinued I couldn't fund it. i know to look for a dress with a high neck low back halter style but do you huys have anything specific? Or just anything else to lok for? thanks a lot.

23. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Just keep on looking through all those patterns is all I can say. :p On mine (the undergown that is) I used a shirt and shirt pattern and just sewed them together, though, it didn't turn out too well. :( As you can see here.

The back doesn't go as low as I would've hoped for, but oh well. I'll have to make another version of this gown sometime later. :p

~Spacelady

24. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Hello All!

I'm trying to make a doll version of this dress (16") but I'm having some trouble... can anyone tell me what the actual shape of the OVERDRESS is, before being sewn? Mine is bunching wierd in the front after I sew the sleeves.

Any help would be so fabulous!

~Bridgette

25. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Nidrail...the best site for this pattern is over at www.padawansguide.com. If you look in "Construction Details & Making of Tips" there's a couple patterns that Ferd (I believe) gave out with her sketches, etc. That's what I followed when making my doll version:

[image=http://www.geocities.com/starlamedra6/lakegown.jpg]
    more pics here