main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you, JediMistress!!
    Ferd's tutorial is great, and I think it'll work now! Thank you!

BTW, does anyone know if there is a thread started on padme's cut family gown here yet? I haven't seen one, and if there isn't one I'd like to start one. I'm finishing makin it myself but I've noticed a few things that might possibly help anyone making the outfit themselves.

~Nidrail

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
  3. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Cool!
    I was just searching for it throughout the pages and couldn't find it myself.... I'm glad to know its there!
    Thanks obidawn!

~Nidrail

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    No problem! :)

5. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Ok.... here's something interesting....
    I found this wedding dress that looks like its a version of the lake dress. There is no 'overdress' drape, but there is a 'detachable back drape' and her hair is done up in a sea-shell with what looks just like the movie thing, beads and all. Anyways, they don't have a picture of the front of it at all, but here's pictures of the back. BTW, the first link you can buy the dress for $300. The second link, it looks like they are selling it for $50. If any of you are interested. At any rate its interesting that they have appear to have worked off the movie design. :)

http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=3598&cat=387&page=1#

http://www.offpriceapparel.com/Bridal/Pearl%20CollectionP200.htm

6. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Isn't it wonderful when things serve to remind us that there isn't an original idea under the sun anymore? ;)

7. Lelila_

Lelila_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    I'm curious as to what the front of that dress looks like... could anyone find an image?

8. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Underneath the original image there are options for more images, one looks like a bunch of writing, but this pops up instead.

9. Lelila_

Lelila_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks Benae! Not quite what I had in mind...

10. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Hi!
    I found a pattern that might work--burda 8137. There are some alterations that would have to be made (the keyhole at the top of the halter and the straps in back are the most major), but they probably won't be too much of a problem. I found it at Joanne's. We'll see how it works.
    Ashlee:)

11. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Does anybody know what the shape of the 'Back overdrape' is? Ferd's tutorial has the front perfect, but the back is rounded instead of a long kind of square 'blanket' like train. Any Ideas?

12. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    I've been fiddling with the back drape as well. I would gather the edges of the drape fabric and pin them to the gauntlet, but leave plenty of fabric hanging to create that "blanket" train, instead of trying to gather the entire length of the edge for the gauntlet. I need several yards of fabric in order for the train to drag the ground. I was in the same boat, 'cause there was no way I could gather the entire edge without ending up with a poofy gauntlet sleeve. Hope this helps...:)
    ---Ashlee

13. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Luminous!

I just finished the underdress and am beginning construction of the overdress. Yep, that was fast! :)
    Anyways, I'll post pics when I have it done, probably in the padme/leia doll thread.
    G2G, my sewing machine is calling! ;)

~nidrail

14. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Cool! Can't wait to see the pics! I haven't started 'official' construction of the dress itself...just been ironing out some of the details before I begin. Let me know how it goes!
    ---Ashlee:)

15. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    hey ashlee, do you have a pict of what the general shape is before being gathered?

~Nidrail

16. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Sorry, I don't have a pic right now (the camera is broken), but here's how I'm going to attempt the back drape. After dying the chiffon, which has been the hardest part, and the satin binding, I will sew 2 four yard pieces of chiffon together. There will be a seam down the center (with the gathering in the back and the binding covering the edges, it shouldn't be too noticeable). I'm doing this 'cause I could not find chiffon that was wide enough to go from arm to arm and still have a nice gather at the small of the back--and stay within my budget. The dimensions of the back drape, before gathering the top portion for the sleeves, are about 120 inches wide and about 4 yards long. It'll look like a huge rectangle. This may be a little big, but I'd rather have too much fabric than not enough. I can always trim it down if it looks like it'll be too much. I hope this helps.
    By the way, have you dyed your pieces yet? This satin edging didn't take the dye nearly as quick as the chiffon did. I'll have to dye them seperately I guess. How it that part going for you?
    ----Ashlee:)

17. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks ashlee!
    I'm actually not dying this perticular dress because I found fabric that is so fabulous I didn't want to dye my own. And its the right colors too... :) As for the back, that works great, and I actually just cut the piece out this afternoon, and its perfect. That was a great suggestion, to gather first and cut later... my gosh! :) anyways I'm doing a doll dress so it dosen't take me near as long to do all the parts. The fabric I have would not work for large dresses... actually, a lady made one for her daughter... they are all the way in france, and yet used the same fabric... go figure! Anyways heres the pict. the fabric is sheerer than it looks in this pict, but for mine (and probably hers too) I added a backing to the underdress.

http://padawansguide.com/fancostumes2/Kay2.jpg

http://padawansguide.com/fancostumes2/Kay1.jpg

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions, and I'll post the finished product soon! probably it will be in the padme/leia doll costumes thread. :)

~Nidrail

18. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Nidrail- your dress looks great! The necklace is very interesting and complements the head and armbands well! I look forward to seeing your doll pics!!!
    ---Ashlee

19. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Quick Question---does anyone know how to cut glass? Someone gave me a sheet of mother of pearl stained glass that would look really good on the neckpiece, but I have no clue how to safely cut the stuff.
    ----Ashlee:)

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    a glass cutter is the only thing I can think of, you can get one at a hardware store.

I adore those costumes Nidrail, my daughter is begging me now....

21. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    A glass cutter is your best bet... but I would also pick up a book on how to make stained glass. Glass cutting can be dangergous if you don't do it right. I used to make stained glass panals with my step father's help, it's a lot of fun, but I got a few tiny cuts along the way. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, see if there's an artisan studio or specialty stained glass studio that can cut the peices for you.

22. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, guys...my brother is used to working with jigsaws and carving tools...he might be qualified...I'd hate to lose a finger trying to make this dress![face_worried]

23. JanieGunn

JanieGunn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    HI Everyone - this is my very first post - I stumbled across this message board and I was thrilled (& overwhelmed!) by all of the discussion surrounding this dress! I have become a recent fan of the Star Wars Prequel trilogy (only watched them at the end of 2005!) and I fell in love with Padme's costumes, particularly this dress! I am getting married at the beginning of this September, and as I do not want to wear a traditional wedding dress, this is one of my ideas I wanted to look into.

I cannot sew for my life, have no experience in it, so I am looking for way to get this made. Does anyone know if anyone in this thread that has made the dress takes orders, and if so, can you please direct me to them?? Note I live in Canada, so I would have to consider shipping costs too. All of the specifications and pages I have found on how to make this dress are chinese to me, and to bring this idea to a dressmaker scares me! Also, can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs for the materials (if done in silk?). If it would be way over my budget, I will drop the idea. I would love to of course have the jewlery that goes with it made as well.

I am also hesitant about wearing such a thing to get married in, I am a unique person, but I think most of my friends & family will think I am nuts if they would see me in this (my fiancée's friends on the other hand would be ultra-impressed!). I know it is important to wear what YOU want to wear and you should not focus on what others will think/like, but I also do not want to look back at my wedding photos 30 yrs from now & wonder "what the heck was I thinking!?" I am also considering a dress similar to what Lucilla wore in Gladiator (with the ribbons wrapped around her), or the white dress Kim Bassinger wore in L.A. Confidential.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions or advice would be more than welcome! Thanks!!!!

24. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I love that you want to make this for your wedding dress. I'm getting married in May this year and had considered it breifly (before finding something I liked better). If you want to make this dress (or have it made) and have it look wedding like... try it in whites :) If you definately want color, try muting them to a very light pastel so the color catches in the light. I had the same dilema about looking back at my wedding photos in 50 years and trying to figure out "What was I thinking".
    While I can't make this dress for you (mine was made for me - and she no longer does it), I can suggest taking pictures to a dress maker and seeing what they would charge to make it. Maybe also try a simplified version... no drape in the front, longer train in the back. I think if the drape in the front were omitted, it might be easier for a dressmaker to construct.
    Here's a prom version that Ferdalump created
    http://www.ferdalump.com/pastelprom.html

Here's a wedding dress that someone found online that is similar in feel (even the hair looks similar lol).
    http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=3598&cat=387&page=1 - Back
    http://www.houseofbrides.com/product_image.php?imageid=50228 - Front

25. JanieGunn

JanieGunn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks for your post Benae-Quee. I took a quick look at your blog - so, what are you finally doing for your wedding dress? (I am very curious!) I know what you mean about changing my mind, I really thought I knew what I wanted as a wedding dress for years, but now all of these costumes I have seen in films have inspired me!

I thought of doing a variation in white (cream satin underdress with white chiffon overlay perhaps, and cream satin edging on the overlay), but I am a little worried it will look like I am wearing bedroom curtains, what do you think? I also really like your idea of doing muted pastels. I feel like you need the grading of the different colours to get the full effect of this gown, plain white might be too blah. I basically do not want to look like I am dressed up for Halloween, know what I mean? I want the effect of a wedding dress, but a unique one that will wow people! I saw the wedding dress links for the dress that resembles the style of the rainbow one - - nice, but not really what I had in mind.

One of my bridesmaids mothers makes costumes and even offered to make the bridesmaids gowns, she lives about 6 hrs away though, but I am thinking about contacting her on making my dress at this point. Will keep you posted!