main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Keep an eye on my blog, I'll eventually post pics of the new new dress choice lol. I really have to stop looking at the Bridal Salon in Macy's, they always have gorgeous dresses on display lol. My bridesmaids (one of which haunts these boards - Jadesolo) have already told me "No more changing your mind or you'll be wearing a sack down the aisle" LOL.

Try contacting your friend's mother and see what she can do.

Maybe instead of the Satin edging, try embroidery or beading? It will still have that feel, but be more elegant. Oooo pearl trim would look lovely, or even a lace. You can find lace trims by the yard that are lovely. I think that the front drape might be a bit much for a wedding dress, it will draw the eye down to your feet and away from your great hair and face ;). If you do the chiffon overlay, try a very muted pink or yellow underlay. I think the muted overlay will be lovely and not too bold, but still unique.

I got a chance to see this in person on the runway in NYC and it flows beautifully. Just imagine your first dance around the floor with the chiffon flowing gracefully behind :D. You'll be sure to get a lot of great comments and it will be a very personalized dress that still looks wedding-ish and star warsy at the same time :).

2. JanieGunn

JanieGunn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi again BenaeQuee - thanks for the additional good ideas. The pearl trim you mentioned, well, I am envisioning maybe the same satin edging but with tiny pearl-like beads sewn to it (not too many, because I would think that heavy beading would weigh down the ends of the overlay too much). What do you think? I have never been a fan of lace, but I am not totally closed to the idea. I worry that lace would also look too nightgowny or too much like curtains again! Embroidery is nice, but tends to cost more because of the detail. If I do the tiny pearl bead trim, I could also get the same type of pearl beading on the top of the dress near the neckline (where the necklace would go - - btw, I decided to forget about including the jewlery that people have designed to go with this, in order to look more elegant, like you mentioned!!) If I do the beading, it would give the whole thing a more weddingy feel, and maybe I could get away with doing the dress in just cream with a white overlay. But the grading of the colours looks so good on the original - I find it really gives the dress it's shape and allure....unless I just do the bottom of both the overlay and underdress with a very muted pink...but then, I feel like I may as well go all the way and do the two (or three, if you grade the pink into a purple like some have done, at the bottom of both layers!!

So, you were thinking a pale muted pink overlay and a pale yellow underdress? Or vice-versa? With no colour grading at all? I enjoy getting others thoughts, this will really help me get a clear picture of a design I can put together, so thanks so much for your help! Send me more of your ideas, please!!

3. JanieGunn

JanieGunn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    A PS to my last post to BenaeQuee - I agree with you about omitting the drape in the front, I did feel that it draws too much attention to the feet and away from the face! But what would be an alternative - just have the overlay hanging loose (obviously a couple of inches shorter than the underdress I guess!). Thanks again for reading & replying to my millions of long posts today!

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I think the pearls along the bottom and the top would be nice. Lace isn't for everyone. I would leave the overlay the same length as the underlay.

If you are going to do the gradiated color, maybe stick with same color for the underlay, or a cream color. I think that a muted pink on the bottom to a very pale pink on the top would be pretty. You could also just do the whole thing without the color and do it in cream/ivory.

I agree with leaving the jewlery that normally goes with this off. Its good for the costume, but I don't think it will go good with a wedding dress.

have you decided how you will be wearing your hair? I have two examples of how I've had mine with this dress. Both were done by my stylist (whos doing my wedding hair too).
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/weddingrefpics/websize/hair1.jpg]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/weddingrefpics/Hair%20do.JPG]

NP about responding, I LOVE talking wedding details, especially when it involves something like costuming :D

PS: Are you registered with www.theknot.com at all? My username on their forums is WillandKris.

5. JanieGunn

JanieGunn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks again Benae! I finally read through the entire 35 pgs of this thread to get more ideas & insight on how this dress is made - whew, it took me forever! I am neglecting my work because of this, but whatever!

So, what it looks like was you had planned on making this dress, then got Ferd to make it for you? Correct? Too bad she does not do custom orders anymore! The original pics you posted of you in your dress no longer appear - can you send them to me or post them again? Do you know how to get in touch with Ferd? I have a couple of questions for her, and it seems that she no longer goes on this board - her last post was 7/05/05 - her email is not on her website either. On the Padwan site, I saw a version that says was made by Ferd, it was on a young girl going to her prom, she is wearing a tiara (not the same prom dress she shows on her website) - the colors look really subtle and muted, it looks almost white but you can see the faint color & it looks amazing. It is a variation of the original and I like it alot. I also want to contact Caitlin, I wonder if I PM her if she will reply?

I am wondering if you really need the 2 overdress/overlays over the underdress, I would like to get away with just a lined underdress, do it in cream then have the winged overlay in white poly chiffon. I also wonder if this has to have the arm gauntlets to hold the wings in place or not - in the original pics it looks like there are no gauntlets, and this seemed to have been a topic of discussion in previous posts.

I am not on the Knot yet, will do later on in a couple of months maybe. Your engagement site is adorable - you & Will are so cute together!!

Your thoughts and suggestions (and any one else out there who still comes to this board!) are welcome!! Thanks!

6. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    How has everyone been doing with their hairbands? I can't seem to keep mine in place! Making them out of those white satin bridal headbands is pretty easy (I just paint them then sew on the beadwork), but when I try to apply them to the actual hairdo, it's a mess. I have really long, fine hair, so I need extra acrylic hair to fill in and make the 'do thicker. Maybe make a frame out of the headbands using thin wire to hold them all in place then put them on the head? I don't know...I'm trying to be as accurate as I can...any advice would be more than welcome!
    ---Ashlee:)

7. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    P.S. JanieGunn--
    It's so cool that you're making this into a wedding dress!! I know it will be beautiful!

8. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    er *turns red*
    thank you Adalia durron and luminous, but I actually did not make that dress that I posted pictures of... that was done by a lady in france for her daughter... so sorry I didn't make that clearer! *red*

hey janie gunn i would love to see the finished version of your gown, if I can, after it's done!! That dress is certainly one of my very favorites. My doll is actually wearing it now (finally I finished it!) so soon I shall get pics and post them as to what she looks like...
    Keep up the great work you all!

~Nidrail

9. aragornsoulmate

aragornsoulmate Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    I really wanted to make/find someone to make me this dress for my senior prom next year. Thanks for all the help on this thread, now I just wish I could sew or had any costuming experience whatsoever.

10. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Hi Aragornsoulmate!
    I'm not the greatest seamstress in the world. My Mom is trying to teach me (lol). If you know anyone who has a good hand for sewing, I'd show them a picture and see what they could do. Or just ask around...there's probably someone in your area that could help. It's cool you're doing this for prom!
    BTW, is anyone planning on attending DragonCon this year? I've never been before, but my husband has several times. Hopefully, my Lake gown will be up and running by then...I hear it's a really fun experience with lots of cool costumes!!
    ---:) Ashlee

11. Linnea

Linnea Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    So I'm going for this dress now.. [face_dancing] Have to have it done by late May, but I'm hoping I'll have it done by then.. [face_praying]

I've decided not to make any overlayers, and dye the (under)dress instead.. Like seen at the NY Fashion Show..

I've been thinking a little about the fabric.. Silk would be best, but I'm not sure I can find it in the quantity I need.. *gaaah* That's what you get for living in a small country like Denmark.. o_O
    But Satin is way to heavy for this dress.. Could it be Silk Chiffon then?? Haven't found it yet, but I'll get back once I have.. Think I'll go talk to the very cute guy who works at the fabricstore :p

Anyway, what kind of dye would you recommend?? Please give me links..

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered before.. Feel asleep last night, trying to read thru this entire thread.. [face_blush]

12. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well now that the boards are pretty much all working properly, I'm going to post my progress on my third verison of this gown. [face_laugh] It's not silk or sheer, but all polyester. This was more of a practice session before I go onto my (hopefully) last version of this gown. :p

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1480.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1486.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1489.jpg]

And of course here's me wearing it. Don't mind my messy room. [face_laugh]

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1490.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1492.jpg]

I've just finish sewing the sleeves together and then I need to see if my undergown will take to the dye bath and then sew the overlay and gown together, then I'll be done with it. :D

I think this is the closet I've ever gotten to the real thing. So yay! :D

~Spacelady

13. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Great dress!! Can't wait to see the final version!!!!

Hey everyone! I finished my lake dress for my doll, and it is now on ebay! it is for a tonner doll (16" fashion doll).

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9503242933

Keep the faith and God bless!

~N

14. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Very pretty, Spacelady! It's looking lovely.

15. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    You look lovely in your dress. Very curious how it looks finished:).

16. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Thanks, guys! :D [face_blush] :D

I can't wait to get it done. But I'm not sure what to do about the neck piece and the armbands... I don't have the tools to make the fancy pieces everyone else does. And if the underdress doesn't take the dye well... which it might not ( [face_worried] ) then... I'll probably just stash it away in my tub and start on my fourth version of this gown with silks and sheers. [face_laugh]

And looks good, Nidrail. :)

~Spacelady

17. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks, Spacelady! :)

18. Rebel_Princess_Leici

Rebel_Princess_Leici Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Finally, months after completion, I got my friend drunk and made her be my model! [face_laugh] She doesn't even like Starwars. She was watching Simpsons at the time, hence the distracted look on her face...plus she was drunk.

http://www.geocities.com/frufrumgoo/lakegowngenna.html

19. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Looks beautiful! :) I especially love that neckpiece! And good idea for getting her to wear it. [face_laugh] :p

~Spacelady

20. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Hello - I don't post here often, and I'm not a great costumer, but I'd like to share some photos of my version of the Padme' Lake Retreat dress. I made it in about three weeks, as a rush last-minute job because my boyfriend and I travelled from New Zealand to Italy to visit the Villa where the Lake scenes were filmed. I took my dress with me, and had the chance to take a few photos -

http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=324

Here are a few more photos of the dress and neckpiece -

http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=336

http://dr-maul.com/Outpost42/forums/uploads/0944/DSC02409.jpg

http://dr-maul.com/Outpost42/forums/uploads/0944/DSC02604.jpg

Check out our local 501st forum thread for more photos of our trip to Villa Balbianello - my boyfriend Matt asked me to marry him while standing in the spot where Anakin and Padme' get married! :)

http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=329

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, what dreamy and beautiful pictures! To be photographed in your wonderful costume in the same spot where the real one was worn and filmed makes for some pretty magical pictures. I bet you and your fiancé will treasure these forever.

Congrats on getting engaged. And in the wedding spot, no less! :)

22. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    What amazing photos! =D= Your dress turned out great! I'm sure you're going to love those pictures forever- to have the dress in the same place where the original was... *sighs in longing*:_| And congrats on being engaged!

~Laura

23. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Hey guys!
    I'm working on my first costume right now (a battle oufit) but I later hope to make this one. It's so beautiful. I'm a little intimidated though. It looks really hard and I'm just learning how to sew! But I have a question for you guys: How do you get the dress the different colors? Do you dye it, paint it, or can you just buy it like that? I just want an idea for how hard it really will be.

And for the girl who got proposed to: Congratz! I think that is sooo romantic. I wish I could find a guy like that!

~Tally

24. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Tally-- They usually dye their fabrics, although spray painting the fabric would also work. I haven't seen any fabric already dyed that would work for the full size costume, unfortunately.
    I hope to see both costumes soon!

AnariaZar-Rel-- STUNNING costume!! goodness!! And that retreat place is SOOOOO beautiful! CONGRATS!!!

God Bless!
    ~N

25. Tally-Skywalker

Tally-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanx, I've never dyed material before. I guess this is a good time to learn!:)