main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Rainbow dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Princess1, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Pintamino: Those shoes look like they could work. It just depends on how picky you are. Here's the best pic I could find of her shoes:

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/pastel/vf.jpg

From that, it looks as though there is a peice that covers the heel, almost like tehater character shoes. And where did you read that they were silver?? I thought they were lavander so I painted mins as such. If they really are silver...then I'll repaint mine!

~Tally

2. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm making my necklace out of shell... My dad actually found this place:

http://www.usshell.com

I got the pearlized Nautilus, the 6-7" ones... they're $25 a piece, and I got two, but it looks big enough. The only prob I see is if the curves don't lay against each other nice it's not going to lay right. But, I'm going to start making my shell necklace next month! :D

Hopefully see some of you at Celeb IV!

3. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for the link! It'd be nice to make a "real" necklace when I re-do my dress.

4. theladyisatramp

theladyisatramp Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2006
    Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I'm also planning on making a rainbow dress... for my senior prom!!! (I'm really excited!!LOL!!).
    I will be making it in green and blue, I think it would suit me better, and I have found cold dyies by Dylon that can be mixed up, almost like paint, and they don't take to silk as well as other fabrics, which means it will be easier to have light colours.
    If you don't know where to start, check out www.padawansguide.com, they have very comprehensive pages on all of Padme's costumes, with photos, detailed analysis of each costume, and tutorials are posted by costumers like ourselves.
    I will be posting updates to my costume somewhere, I'll let you know when I've started.

5. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Hello again!
    After wearing my first version of the lake dress to D*C and having a blast, I realize after looking at some of my pics that I need to do some alterations, mainly to the underdress.
    I used a synthetic crepe, not silk, for the underdress. My main problem is this: there was not enough "flow"--that soft, whispy swing as you walk. It also was not as full around the bottom portion as I would like, but that's easily fixed. I would love to make a new underdress using silk--it would have a much better swing and flow to it. I have checked both Thai Silks and Dharma trading, and I'm unsure about which type or thickness to buy, since it needs to be opaque (the runway photos seem to indicate one layer, not multiple sheer overlays). But I'll probably line it for good measure. The sheer drapes in front and back I'm keeping. Lake gown lovers....help me! You're my only hope!:D
    ----Ashlee

6. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    The Dressing the Galaxy book says it's Sanded Charmuse, that's this stuff:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/893639-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Unfort only comes in 45" wide. Also, that dress is cut on the bias for maximum flow. I started a mock up for this one, and I formed the top of the dress as separate pieces and the skirt attaches at empire waist, so having the skirt pieces start there, you can accomodate the bias cut on the 45" wide... unless you are 6 feet tall... which if you are, please, give me a few inches, because I'm 5 nothing and I need it *g*

7. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I used the matte side of Dharma's regular 19.5 mm charmeuse, which WOW has gotten expensive. Beautiful flow on that stuff. I imagine the sandwashed stuff flows similiarly, if not nicer.

8. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Thanks, guys!!
    I think I will go with the sanded charmeuse, since that's what the original calls for. If I do run out of room (probably will since it's 45) I may add a triangualr panel to the bottom of the back side of the skirt to give it more fullness. Since the back of the gown is completely covered with the drape, it won't be seen. [face_shhh] Maybe it'll work. I'll do a mock up first.

9. Rayburn

Rayburn Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2006
    Hello all! I'm new to the forums and to costuming. First of all I want to say that I looked through all of the pictures I could find here and the dresses I've seen are just utterly gorgous and the work put into scrounging up information on this dress is absolutely astounding.
    I'm hoping to get this dress made for Disney's Star Wars Weekends this year. My main concerns are that I wont have time to finish the dress (since I can't get it started until April) and that it will be a bit too costly. I was just curious to see the various amounts of time and money that were spent on this dress. Any and all information would be helpful. :) Thanks for your time and to anyone who responds.

10. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    I plan to wear this dress to SWW as well. I'm just waiting to see what Disney's policy on face characters are. I do know that it has to be perfect. And I know that if they allow them, there can only be one Padme per parade, so we'll have to talk to each other about which days we will wear it etc.

By the way, I wanted to post that I won my very first costume contest with this dress. It was at MegaCon this past weekend. I wont for the category Best Hero. Here's a pic (I'm still working on my shell necklace):

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/Beastchild13/PICT0447.jpg

11. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Congrats, Lady Skywalker!!! Beautiful gown !!

12. Rayburn

Rayburn Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2006
    Oh, I was actually just going to wear it around the park for the fun of it. I had no idea that they used visitors to the park for the parade. This is the first year I've had the chance to go to SWW, so I'm pretty out of the loop, as I'm sure you can tell. :)

Congratulations! Your dress is beautiful!

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    *pokes head in*

So, I've just started doing serious research for this costume, since I'm going to wear it to my college graduation. And that's in like... three months. What with classes and all, I should get cracking on it sooner rather than later. Fortunately, though I've taken too long a break from making my own costumes, I've been working at my college's costume shop, so a) I have gained mad sewing skillz, and b) if I trip up on something, I can probably call my boss and ask her for help. I am mad awesome at hems, buttons, and snaps.

And the adventure commences. I shall graduate in style. :D

14. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Way to go, Tally! High five for the Lake Gown! =D=

15. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I've been working on my fourth version of the Pastel gown and I've got the overlay attached to the actual gown. Just need to hem the overlay so it doesn't fray. Wouldn't want that, now do we? :p

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/Pastel%20II/100_2557.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/Pastel%20II/100_2561.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/Pastel%20II/100_2563.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/Pastel%20II/100_2565.jpg]

The dyes across the back are slightly wrong, but I was having major trouble with it. :p

~Spacelady

16. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Lovely, Spacelady! I can't wait till you finish it! I'm sure you'll look awesome in it :)

17. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    Just a heads up, you can't wear costumes inside the park. Not unless it was bought there (ie a jedi robe). You can't wear any costumes to any theme park. I hope I didn't spoil SWW for you, but I think it would be worse if you showed up and they turned you away.

Spacelady: the looks really good so far, I love the coloring!

18. Rayburn

Rayburn Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2006
    I contacted the Walt Disney World Resort about the costume situation and here was the reply:

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

You are welcome to wear a costume for this event. As you select your
    costume for this event, please keep the following guidelines in mind.

Costumes must not:

Cover the face or obstruct your vision

Hinder your ability to board our attractions or
    transportation.
    Drag on the ground.
    Contain sharp or pointed objects that may injure other
    guests.
    Contain any part, prop or accessory that might be mistaken
    for an actual weapon.
    Be offensive to other guests.

We thank you for adhering to these guidelines and hope that you and your
    family have a safe and magical time!

19. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    You might have a problem with "dragging on the ground", "boarding the attractions" and "offending other guests". Some people might find the Rainbow Dress a tad risque...

20. Rayburn

Rayburn Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2006
    I agree; those three had not escaped my notice. To attempt to solve the dragging problem, I was thinking about gathering the back like the front is gathered. Though, boarding the attractions and offending the other guests would be a likely problem; in my opinion, the dress is quite risqué, but the beauty of the fabrics, the coloring, and the style take away from that risqué factor and allow it to appear more on the elegant side. I'll probably end up wearing it on a day that I plan on doing other things besides the rides, if I do indeed decide to take the risk of wearing it. I have other plans for the dress, such as prom (granted I attend it), so chances are I'll make it anyway.

Also, I had not intended on my previous post being rude in any way, but now that I look at it again I see that it may have come across that way. Lady_Skywalker13, I really appreciate that you looked out for me and gave me the heads up. I had e-mailed the company about it because I remember looking at the site last year and seeing that they encouraged guests to dress up, claiming that most people did and I wanted to see why they would retract that. I in no way meant to make it seem like I was saying, "Well, I don't care what you say.", because that was certainly not it at all. And if it did come across that way, I apologize, because I definitely do not feel that way. Like I said, I greatly appreciated the heads up, so thank you for that.

21. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    I didn't take it that way at all. Actually what you had to say brought some light on the subject to me. I didn't know about those rules.

22. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    I didn't know if anyone had posted this, but Out-of-print Simplicity 5586 might work for the base dress with some slight remodeling:

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=5586

23. skywalker325

skywalker325 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Orliaan... don't get me addicted to the idea of making this dress again... :)

that's a REALLY great base pattern!

24. Lady_Elu

Lady_Elu Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2007
    I'm surprised I didn't post pics of my costume from CIV! :p

The best one from CIV would be the one I got with BenaeQuee, her busband, and her friend Anu.

CIV

As you can see, I didn't have the money or time to make the decorations, but I was able to make a makeshift pearls and tassel-like decoration at the bottom:

Pearls

I'm happy with the outcome, however, I'll be moving on to my fifth version some time in the future! :D

~Spacelady

25. Lady_Skywalker13

Oct 27, 2006
    Your dress look great!=D= I remember seeing you at C4. I wish I introduced myself. I like the pearl idea too. I actually did something similar to that on my first try. Later I changed them out for glass-looking beads. My problem though is getting them to stay on!

I didn't even think to post a few good photos of my dress from C4 here. Just ignore the hair...it wen't trhough a lot and I'm re-doing it for the next con!

Front Open

Front Closed

Back