Rainbow's End: Versé's Story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Handmaiden Yané, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    RIV'S DEAD???????? HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO US???? POOR, POOR VERSE!!!!!!!!!

Those evil spice miners, let me at 'em!
  2. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Riv is dead? :(

Well... I didn't see that coming. :_| Ah, what a tragic life Versé is living.

I do, however, like the names of her children. Nicely thought out. And don't change the name of this story. I really like
    Rainbow'sEnd.

Finally got those colors to work.
  3. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Riv?! Noooooo! :eek: Versé!!

As for the title, I've always liked "Rainbow's End". I think it fits the story very well. If you want to change it, it's really up to you. You could call it "Rainbow's End: Versé's Story". :p

Anyway, more! More! :D
  4. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    bobill-I knew it. Once I killed Riv off, everyone's gonna hate me...Ack...
    *lets bobill at the spice miners*
    There. Now in AotC, Mace Windu can't blame the assassination attempt on spice miners. [face_plain] :p

Knight-Ander-Yep...I don't think anybody did. *sigh* And now she'll die in about a year, three months, and a week...

Anyanka-I think I will change it to "Rainbow's End: Versé's Story". :p
    Well...here's more!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 28
    For the Storm Shall Pass

?Three weeks?and still no change. This has to stop. She can?t go on like this. What about the children? They?ll be born any day now!? Dormé whispered fiercely to Jobali outside of Versé?s room.

?The children will be born and Versé will have to wake up then. If the labor pains don?t shock her out of this, then their wails certainly will,? Jobali answered.

In the room beyond lay a stone-still/stone-silent Versé. After the initial shock and bout of tears, she had hid inside herself. Dormé, her best friend, couldn?t do anything. Nor could her mother, her father, her half-sister?even Senator Amidala had no effect. Needless to say, everyone was worried about her.

Dormé turned away from the doorframe, a single tear streaking her face. Jobali moved to put an arm around the grieving friend. There was, really, nothing they could do. It was up to Versé.

?We?ve tried compassion?we?re tried kindness?it just isn?t working! We have to shock her out of this!! Somehow, we have to! I can?t stand to see her like this!? Dormé cried in frustration. Angrily, she marched into the bedroom. She brushed aside Jobali?s restraining arm.

?Get up!? Dormé yelled, yanking the covers from Versé?s prostrate form. ?What kind of person are you? So selfish?to hide away from the world while everyone needs you! The Senator needs you! You swore her your allegiance, your service. Are you backing out know because you feel like it? Your mother needs you! She gave birth to you and what do you do? You turn your back on her! And you know what? I need you. You ever thought of that? And what about the children you?re about to give birth to? Don?t you think they need you? And what about Riv?? Do you think he wants to see you like this?? GET UP!!?

She received no response from Versé. Finally losing it, she screamed at Versé and yanked the covers back over Versé?s head.

?Fine then! Stay that way and feel sorry for your sorry little self!? She shrieked. Marching stormily from the room, she left behind a shocked Jobali.

Midnight. Jobali was keeping a vigil on her daughter. She was beginning to nod off, in spite of herself. When, suddenly, and ever so quietly, she heard her daughter speak.

?I?I??

Jobali?s head snapped up. ?Versé? Oh, darling, what is it??

?I can?t get up,? she said, her voice hoarse. ?He?he won?t be there?to make me laugh, to make me angry?he won?t be there to see his children?oh the Force?he won?t be there.?

Finally?some emotion came from Versé. Hot tears streamed down her face. Jobali took one of daughter?s hand and stroked it softly. She laid her old cheek to Versé?s wet one and cried softly with her.

?It?s hard, isn?t it? To lose the one you love? The one who you promised yourself to, the one you swore you?d be there for? And then they go and leave you?you know?you know that they can?t help it. They?re dead. But somehow, maybe if they stayed home with you it would have been all right??

?Oh Mother??Versé spoke the words reverently? ?But?did Dormé really mean what she said? Am I really that selfish?? The tears coursed anew at this.

?Oh no, darling, never you. You were always kind, always so sweet. Helping others, even if you didn?t like what you were doing. You always cared. But when?when Riv died, it hurt you, because it seemed to you that there was no one to be kind to, to be sweet to. To help, to care about. But oh honey, there is. There?s me, Dormé, Cordé?and maybe??

Jobali left the thought unsaid. The gr
  5. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Excellent post, Yané. You captured Versé's reaction to losing Riv very well. I also liked Dormé's reaction to Versé's reaction (heh, did that make any sense? :p). It was very realistic. I'd probably end up doing the same thing. :(

Can't wait for more. :D
  6. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was great! Dorme's shocked face, too bad it wasn't in the movie! Ugh, poor wittle Verse, having to deal with Riv like that! I'm glad that she's recovered now. Hehe, wonder if they'll scare Padme, too.
  7. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Another good post, Yane.

I liked Dormé's little chewing-out speech.
  8. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Anyanka-Thank you! :) And yes, that did make sense! :p

bobill- :p

Knight-Ander- Mucho gracias! :D

Well, here's more. I don't think it's much though...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 29
    Men

Finally, the sun was too bright to ignore. The blankets heated up, and the fibers gentled tickled her nose. She threw open the covers, gasping, and reveling in the sudden burst of cool air.

Groaning, she moved to sit on the side of her bed.

?Gah?I?m so fat. I don?t have any ankles?ack! Where are my feet?? Versé mumbled as she got up. She slowly took a shower and then got dressed. When she descended from the second story, she found Typho and Dolphe (one of the security officers who had survived the dispute) in her living room.

?Gentlemen?what brings you here?? She asked, surprised.

Typho and Dolphe stood up.

?We heard that you were feeling better,? Typho said, speaking first.

Versé hugged Typho. ?Yes, much better, thank you.?

Versé sat down and the two men returned to their seats.

?We thought?you might to know?why Riv died,? Typho explained slowly.

Versé nodded. ?Yes, I do.?

Typho looked at Dolphe before continuing. ?It started out fine. The miners seemed to be willing to work with us. Then, a man started to rouse the crowd. Calling the people who lived on Naboo rich money grabbers. It seemed to light some kind of fuse inside the people. We left quickly. We knew they wouldn?t listen to us in this state. However, that night, they came to the hotel we were staying in--armed. We did the best we could?Riv was doing great, at first. Then, all of a sudden he went down. Police reinforcements arrived soon after?but he was already gone??

Versé had never seen a grown man cry. Now, she watched as Typho openly grieved for his friend. She got up and sat down next to Typho.

?Hey, look on the bright side. At least you aren?t in a three-week depression,? she said, smiling crookedly.

?We brought the body back?? Dolphe started.

?Good. We?ll have the funeral after the children?s birth,? Versé said resolutely.

Dolphe nodded. ?Yes, of course.?

Versé stood up. ?Well, if you gentleman will excuse me, I?ve some work to do.?

They nodded and got up as well. ?Of course, Versé,? said Typho politely. They headed for the door, but as Typho went all the way out, Dolphe stayed behind.

?M--Mrs. Jakeen? Would you mind if I asked something?? Dolphe asked.

?No, not at all. What?s the matter, Dolphe??

?I know you?re due soon?and then you?ll be a single mother with three kids. Y--You?ll need a man to take care of you??

Versé was astonished. ?Dolphe! Are you proposing to me?! My husband has just died! Have you no tact??

She looked at the poor man. ?I?m sorry?but?? she grinned slyly. ?Haven?t you seen the way Cordé looks at you? Get on with it, man!?

And with this, she shoved him out the door and cheerily waved goodbye. Then she shut the door.

Men.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

9. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    OH MY GOSH, POOR DOLPHE AND CORDE!!!! And notice that Dolphe didn't ever actually propose yet! What if he meant to say something else?

But I feel sorry for Riv. Killed by some arrogant miner? Poor guy! War's so sad!

?Gah?I?m so fat. I don?t have any ankles?ack! Where are my feet??

HM Yane, you are hilarious! I love how you made Verse so... insufferable! 8-}

Hope that being pregnant with three kids won't hinder her work!
  10. Amidala14 Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL, bobill!! Actually, yes, he did mean to say it...but...I guess Versé's hormones were acting up or whatever. :p
  11. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    LOL Yané, I loved the bit with Dolphe proposing to Versé! Great post. I love finding something new everytime I check this thread. :)
  12. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thanks Anyanka! The rate I'm going...it might stay that way! ;)
  13. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Happy New Year!! :D And happy new--er, continued--post!!

Chapter 29
    continued

Jobali frowned as she drove Versé to the palace.

?I don?t think you should be working,? she told her daughter.

?Well I do. I neglected my service to her for long enough. I become her handmaiden, get married, get pregnant, and then get depressed! I haven?t been there for her at all,? Versé said, with feeling.

Jobali sighed. ?You?ve served her as best you could. That?s all she can ask.?

?No,? Versé disagreed. ?That?s all she would ask. She should ask more of me, and I should give her more. I haven?t done my part.?

Jobali set her mouth in a grim line; it was no use arguing with Versé now. Versé gently laid her hands on her stomach, and settled in for the ride.

They never made it to the palace.

Muahahahahaha!! [face_devil]

Heh, actually?not what you think? ;) :p

In the middle of the trip, Versé cried out in pain. Instinctively, Jobali turned left, instead of right, and headed for the hospital.

Versé cried out again. ?They?sure?are?insistent?? She gasped.

?They get it from their mother,? Jobali remarked wryly. Versé smiled faintly.

With the hospital in sight, Jobali gave the speeder an extra burst of speed, and wheeled into the parking lot. Jobali helped her daughter into the building. A nurse, on seeing them, looked in shock.

?Get a stretcher, woman! Can?t you tell she?s having a baby!? Jobali bellowed.

The nurse?s eyes widened and did Jobali?s bidding. Soon, Versé was comfortably?er, as comfortably as she could in her present state, situated in a hospital bed. And it began.

In the hospital room, Versé was surrounded by her friends and family. Tristan and Jobali stood next to each other, near the door. Padmé and Cordé were clustered with Dormé, Typho, and Dolphe.

Versé tiredly opened her eyes, to see three tiny, screaming babies?her children. As if sensing her awakening, the babies quieted and mother and children gazed in wonder at each other.

?They?re?they?re?they?re mine!!? She said at last.

Dormé came up beside her and grinned. ?Yes, and aren?t they beautiful??

Versé nodded fiercely. One of the girls yawned.

?Aww?that?s Melona?Melona Ashmé?? Versé said, gently smoothing the girl?s bald head.

The other girl looked at her triplet, and then at her mother. ?Oooh?and this, this is Selona Ishté..? Versé introduced.

The boy started crying, and Versé smiled. ?Telon?Telon Riv.?

Then they all started to cry. Versé began to weep too.

?Oh?don?t cry now, you?ll make Momma cry?? Versé said in vain as the tears coursed down.

?Telon?he looks just like Riv?? Versé said sobbing.

Dormé hugged her friend. ?It?s all right now?everything?s okay??

14. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    Babies! She has babies!!!!!!! YAY, Verse finally gets some happiness! I feel so sorry for Telon, though, growing up without a daddy... and no mommy either, now that I think about it! What's gonna happen to the poor kids? Is Padme or Dorme gonna take them in? *cries* POOR, POOR BABIES!!!!!!!
  15. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aww!! :)

Nice post, Yané! Versé finally had those kids. I forgot to mention before, but I like the names you chose. I also liked Versé's little speech about how she hadn't been serving Amidala well. It was well written.

Now only one chapter left, right? :( Poor Versé!!

But I'm still looking forward to reading the sequel. :p
  16. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww, is right. Great post, Yane, you're making a supposibly grown man cry. :_| :p

Love the names, by the way. :)
  17. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    bobill-I know!! Versé gets happiness! :) :D But...for how long? :( Only...a year, three months, and a week... :_| Oh...don't worry about the babies...they'll be as happy as orphans can be...

Anyanka-Thanks! :) Yes...there's one more chapter. I'm going to try to go out with a bang...I've got loads of ideas for sequel! :)

Knight-Ander- [face_blush] ... :eek: Wait...me?! Making you cry?!

Wow. [face_plain] :eek:

Oh, and thanks. :)
  18. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    Argh, bad Zammy, always ruining people's lives!!!!!!!! (UP)
  19. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    UP!

Waiting for the last post. ;)
  20. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ack! I'm writing it! I'm writing it! I think I have the first part done, but I'm not posting it until it's satisfactory. I want the last posts to be par excellence. And then I'll post the first part, and then write the second part...

22. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    No prob, Yané. Take your time. :)
  24. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I was thinking about the sequel...and then I was thinking, "Wow! I could kill someone else off! Like...Telon or something! He could be on Alderaan when it exploded! Or be one of the Rebels on Tantive IV who gets killed!" And then I thought..."Jen, get off this killing track now."
    So, no one related to Versé or is friends with Versé's kids are going to be killed. Just thought I'd let you guys know that. :p

First part's done...but dare I post it?
    Ack, I daresay I will. ;) I'm planning on giving this thing a major edit sometime. So I'll edit it then. I hope to hope that this is a good post.

Chapter 30
    Rainbow?s End
    Part One: A Mother?s Job

Four months passed, and Versé had to learn how to juggle work and children?by herself. She sold the big mansion on Crescent Hill, and used the money to buy a spacious apartment in Theed Proper, near the palace. She hired Solia, her old maid, to be a live-in nanny, and bought a nanny droid to help care for the kids during the day.

Versé threw herself wholeheartedly into working for the Senator. She even undertook the training courses, swallowing the old fear. But she did this in secret. Versé practiced for two hours after her normal working day. She wanted to be able to protect her Senator, and her children. She wouldn?t fail them.

The gym was silent. Versé felt right at home in the maroon outfit and soon went straight to practicing. As her target went wide once more, she cursed. A woman came in as Versé loudly did so.

?Difficulties?? The woman asked, with a hint of amusement in her voice.

?Yes,? Versé said as she snapped off another shot?that went wide.

The woman chuckled. ?I am Hesté, handmaiden to Queen Jamillia. I, too, am here to practice my skills?actually, to refresh my memory. It has been awhile since I touched a blaster. Not since the Invasion, in fact. I?m a bit rusty.?

Hesté calmly picked up a blaster, and shot at the target. It went into the ring nearest to the bull?s eye. Versé?s mouth dropped open.

?A bit rusty?!? Versé exclaimed. ?That?s not rusty! That?s?great!?

Hesté turned to her. ?No it?s not. When I was with the Junior Auxiliary Branch of the Royal Security Force, I was expected to always hit the bull?s eyes. Those I protected depended on it. I was with the resistance, trying to liberate Theed during the Queen?s absence. I saw first-hand what war could do. I resolved never to pick up a blaster. I would not be one to further the causes of war.?

Versé turned away. ?During the Invasion, I was stuck in a camp. It was horrible. Some of my friends died?I got separated from my best friend and my mother. I never wanted to see a blaster again. And then?I became a handmaiden to the Senator, and my job is to protect her. And then?I became a mother, and my job is to protect my children.?

Hesté put her hand on Versé?s shoulder. ?You are a noble spirit??

?Versé,? she supplied.

?Versé,? Hesté repeated, and smiled. Both went calmly back to their tasks, and both made a bull?s eye by the time both had left.

?Momma?s home!? Versé shouted into the apartment as she entered. Solia entered the small foyer with Melona and Selona on each hip.

?Good evening? milady,? Solia said with a grin.

?It?s Versé, Solia, Versé!? Versé said before going up to Melona and cooing. In turn, she cooed to Selona. She took her baby girls from Solia.

?Where?s Telon?? She asked.

?Taking a nap. He wouldn?t lie down when the girls did, and Dee-Ar is putting him to sleep,? Solia explained.

The nanny droid, N6-DR, stiffly entered the kitchen, which Solia and Versé had just moved into.

?Mistress Jakeen, Master Telon is finally asleep,? She reported.

?Good,? Versé said as she grimaced?Selona was pulling on Versé?s fancy hair-do.

?Oh, Sellie!? She groaned as Selona finally got a fistful of Versé?s golden red hair in her mouth.

?Well, I suppose you?re happy now, aren?t you?? Versé asked teasingly. ?Is Mommy?s wittle babwé happy now??

Selona cooed.

?V
  25. Anyanka Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great post, Yané! I'm glad Versé got to spend a month.. err, year ;) with her children. How many parts are there to this last chapter?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.