main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rainbow's End: Versé's Story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Handmaiden Yané, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    And, of course, UP!

~Obischick

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Okay, thanks guys.

At last....a new post! Yay!!!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter Four
    Reality

I'm not leaving, I'm not! He's not my dad...he can't be...

These thoughts turned over and over in Versé's head. A soft knock sounded at the door. Her head came up.

"Who is it?" she called out. She looked around her room and saw an old datapad that needed to be recharged. She went over to it and hefted it. A devilish smile lit Versé's face. But then she put it down and went to answer the door. It was her mother.

"Versé...I have a lot to tell you." Jobali went and sat down on Versé's bed. She patted the spot next to her.

Poor mother...I bet she's sorry she married that creep..., Verse thought.

She went and sat down next to her mother.

"Versé, you know when you had to go to that fancy school and you didn't want to?"

Versé laughed. "I hated that school. But that's where I met Dormé."

"Yes...those schools were very expensive. Your father paid for them. So that you would be ready to take the exam to enter the University. I knew...I knew that your father would come and take you."

Versé leaped up angrily. "You knew?! You were in on this together?"

"Versé, calm down. You're father was a stickler for proper things. He would rather be a hypocrite rather then let all our so-called friends know we were on the verge of divorce. I asked him to leave. He wouldn't. He said he had to see his daughter become a politician, just like her father. I told him that if I sent you to the best schools, you would be ready for the entrance exam to the University. I didn't want you growing up around him. Now you're eighteen and you'r not influenced by that hypocrite!"

Versé bit her lip.

"Mother..."

"Versé, go. I keep my word and I thought that I taught you that duty was the utmost importance."

"I'll go, but I'll come back." Versé said firmly.

EDIT: Thanks Obischick. [face_blush]

3. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Great post Yané! I loved how you explained why Versé had to go with her father. The poor girl, I bet she hates it.

And she has to leave Dormé? That's sad too, but her mother was very clever, making that deal. This way Versé can make up her own mind about what to believe and who to believe.

Very nicely done Yané! :)

~Obischick

ps. You might want to edit the first part with all the italics, it was a bit confusing for a second there. ;) :D

4. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    An UP to show my appreciation for that post, too. :)

5. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I think I've figured it out. When you say UP it means that you're trying to up it in the forum, right? Duh! I don't why it took me so long to figure it out.

Chapter Five
    Leaving

Versé hugged her mother one last time and looked back at her house, at the shop. The repulsorlimo waited in front of her. She had left hologram messages for Devon and Dormé, but it wouldn't be the same.

"Come,dear, come on." Her portly father urged.

Lovely. Here we go. Versé thought as she climbed in. The replusorlimo took off, leaving everything Versé knew behind.

"Now, my dear, that wasn't so bad was it?"

"No, father, it was worse."

Tristan's gratified look went sour. He didn't say anything and the rest of the trip to urban Theed was in silence.

A maid floated out to greet them. "Mr. Cabaré, Miss Cabaré. Refreshments are waiting for you."

"Thank you, Elisé."

Versé didn't say anything as she followed her father into the house.

"He has maids," Verse thought incredulously.

Another maid appeared. "If the Miss would like to retire to her rooms, her rooms are ready for her."

"Rooms??" Verse exclaimed.

The maid looked a bit surprised. "Yes.."

"Oh, come now, daughter, don't be such a country bumpkin."

Country bumpkin, indeed, you city....shaak. She thought angrily. She nodded curtly to the maid and proceeded to her rooms.

When she arrived, it took her breath away.

"Wow."

Everything was covered in yellow silk.

I don't even like yellow... Versé thought mournfully.

"The rooms are to the lady's liking?"

The maid looked so darn earnest that Versé couldn't bring herself to say no.

"Yes, it's beautiful."

Her bags came in just then. The maid picked up one of the two bags and went to the door. It whooshed open to reveal a walk-in closet. Versé's jaw was on the floor now. At home, she didn't even have a closet.

The maid opened the bag. "Oh no, this will not do, no, not at all." She went next to the door and pressed a button. Versé realized it was a holographic messenger.

Her father's image appeared. "Yes, what is it?"

"Sir, the lady's clothes are not suitable for a lady of her station."

The image nodded. "Then get Elisé to take her shopping for some. Get whatever she needs."

Versé dumbly sat down on a chair. A yellow chair. She was going to die in all this yellow.

6. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    "Country bumpkin, indeed, you city....shaak." [face_laugh] You tell 'im Versé! This could get pretty funny. I hope she wins the maids over to her side. That could be a real problem for Fatty Daddio. :D And I hope she gets the color of her room changed, for her sake.

7. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    great post! She was going to die in all this yellow- hehehehe

8. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Poor Verse, surrounded by people she doesn't know, color she doesn't like and she has to go shopping with strange people! :(

However, I hope she does win the maids over! Then she could finally have some friends. I think she will win them over with her sweetness. :)

I hope Verse fits in soon!! I can't stand seeing her without any friends! :(

Great post. Absolutly hilarious! Verse has a great sense of humor. I can't wait to see what happens next!

~Obischick

9. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Wonderful job HM Yané!! :D This is *quite* a little Cinderella story for Miss Versé isn't it? One mintue she has no closet, the next, it's "Shelves in the closet, happy thought indeed!" Whoops sorry, a little Jane Austen "Pride & Prejudice" quote there! ;)

Anyways, I also love Versé sense of humor, and I can very much relate to her not liking her father... :p Although I don't hate him 24/7, and his house is about the size of a dog's! :p

I can't wait to see her go shopping! Maybe she'll run into a friend, or make a new friend?? Hmmm.. I hope Dormé will turn up soon! Best Friends seperated is NOT a happy thought! :p

-~Dormé~-

10. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    EDIT: Oh Good Jebus, I double posted! :p

Uhhhmm.. I still love this story! :D [face_love]

-~Dormé~-

11. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    :mad: Is my mind that readable?! You're stealing all my ideas! Oops! Was that a spoiler? [face_blush] :confused:

Chapter Five
    Evil Schemes are Sometimes Enjoyable

It was the middle of the night. Versé had for some strange reason woken up in the dead of the night, er, what should have been the dead of the night. Everything was a faint yellow.

Is it dusk...already? I slept late. Versé thought groggily. But the moon...it's still shining... And then she remembered. She sank back in the yellow softness and groaned.

The next morning she woke up to sun, and thank the Force, she had her wits about her. But when she saw an old maid doddering around in her room, she lost them again. She looked at the old lady stupidly. The old lady saw her and went over to Versé.

"Good morning, milady. I trust everything is as you like it?"

"Uh..."

"Would you like some morning gruel, milday?"

"Uh..."

The old lady smiled. "Morning gruel it is."

The old lady left the room. It was only after she had left that Versé remembered she didn't even like morning gruel.

While the old lady was gone, Versé got up and went to her closet. All these yellow dresses were there. None of her own clothes was there.

"Okay, who decided my favorite color was yellow?" She growled.

She didn't want to stay in her (yellow) nightdress, so she changed into a plain dress that didn't have furbelows and ribbons and who-knows-what on it.

Versé couldn't explain how she got through her first morning. But she did. Her father "summoned" her to his study that afternoon.

"Versé, it has come to my attention that you need ah, more sophisticated clothes befitting your station. Elisé will take you shopping. You can have however many credits you need. Just charge it to my account."

A plan blossomed in Versé's head. How many credits she needed? How about wanted? She could be happy and her father would be happy....as long as she looked as if she "befitted her station".

Elisé and Versé went to a very exclusive shop in the replusorlimo. Versé had never really liked shopping before, but this time, she really enjoyed it.

I can see why Ronea loved to shop, it's fun when you have money!

When she arrived at the mansion(it wasn't a house, by gads, it was a mansion), her father gasped at the sum of credits she had spent.

"Versé..."

"Oh father, I know it is a vast sum of money, but father, when I thought how rude I was to you, I told myself, how can I make it up to father? Why, Versé, you can impress others with your style! And then they would see that Tristan Cabaré is a man of taste, for he has influenced his daughter in such a way! Father, I only thought of you!"

What a bunch of crap, but his ego is so inflated, he's sure to take it...

And take it, Tristan did.

"Why, daughter, I never knew that you were such a loyal daughter. Of course, this money is no matter." And he patted my hand.

It was all Versé could do to run screaming out of the room. She hated it when people patted her hand.

She smiled falsely. "Yes, father." And then she went out the door. But she didn't run. She walked. And then she ran.

12. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    yeah! go Verse!
    so when does she meet the queen/senator? sorry if i'm rushing you.

13. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Doesn't it always happen. When a girl wants to get back at Daddy, she goes out and spends all his cash. :D

Yeah, I'm getting alittle impatient, too.

*twittles thumbs while waiting*

14. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Okay, Versé is eighteen and she's the same age as Amidala. I heard that Amidala stops being Queen at 22, so we have four years till Versé meets Amidala and then 2 more years until the inevitable end.

I have such a demanding audience! New post coming soon, I hope.

15. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Great post Yané!! I love the title: Evil Schemes Are Sometimes Enjoyable. :p That was hilarious. But I also loved Versé drowning in all this yellow...poor girl! :( And going out and spending a lot of money like that!! Woo! Sounds like something I would do! :D [face_devil]

The only teeny thing that caught me off guard in this post was the morning gruel. It seems to me that people of the Cabaré's station would eat something more....appitizing...but that's all. :p Don't mind me....I'm one of those annoying nit-picking people! [face_shocked]

Great post all around!

~Obischick

16. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    YAY!! Another job well done! I love Versé's evil scheming! Very cool! ;) And Great title by the way... ;)

I loved this line:

it wasn't a house, by gads, it was a mansion

Tehe!! Damn right it was!! :p

Geez I couldn't believe she could weasel her way into spending that much cash with out punishment! She's a sneaky one... [face_devil]

I can't wait to see what'll happen next!! :D :D

Annnnddd... UPPP!!! :D

-~Dormé~-

17. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Come to think of it, morning gruel isn't that appetizing you're right, but remember who suggested it? The old lady. She's probably a person with traditional values. And also, her father is old-fashioned. But, hehe [face_blush], I didn't really think of that. I'lll try to keep track of that in the future.

Oh, and thanks guys!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter Six
    The Entrance Exam: To Fail or Not to Fail

Versé woke up. She felt a certain measure of power knowing that she could now successfully manipulate her father.

What else can I manipulate him to do? Versé mused.

Her eyes blinked. The yellow...the yellow must go..

The young maid came in. "Good morning, milady. Can I do anything for you?"

"What's your name?"

"Solia, milady."

"Solia, do you like yellow?"

Solia nervously looked around the room. "Um, not particularly milady."

Versé laughed. "I hate yellow."

Solia looked relieved. "Yes, milady."

"D'ya think I could anything to change my room?"

Solia looked at her curiously. "Of course, milady, it is your room, milady."

Versé looked embarrassed. Why didn't I think of that?

"Uh, of course."

Solia looked amusingly at Versé. "I could arrange for it to be done in a different color."

"Yes, yes of course.I like the color...lavendar."

"Yes, milady. What would you like for breakfast, milady?"

"Please, call me Versé. I'd like some fruit."

"Of course."

Versé got out of bed(in her white nightgown, thank you very much) and went to her closet. She chose a lovely dress that she had bought yesterday.

Her fruit came...with a message.

Versé,

The Entrance Exam is to take place a week from now. Please prepare accordingly.

-Tristan Cabaré

From the moment she had left the florist shop and arrived at the Cabaré mansion, she had been living in a dream. Now reality hit her full in the face.

She ate her fruit slowly, thinking. I...could fail the exam, but then what would that say ofme? If I respected myself and my abilities, I couldn't fail. No, I was too far into this scheme. I had promised my mother I wouldn't fail anyway.

For the next week, Versé was always found(that is, when she could be found), with her nose in a book.

Finally, the entrance exam came. Versé dressed in her best dress. She literally dressed to impress. The replusorlimo took her to the University.

Butterflies fluttered in her stomach. I can do this, I can do this...

Versé smiled nervously at the other students. A girl with brown hair and an intelligent face who reminded her of the Queen, smiled brightly back.

Two hours later, a nervous Versé waited outside the dean's office for the results.

The girl she had noticed earlier came up to her.

"Hello, I'm Cordé Rakaro."

"Hi, I'm Versé Vilana." Versé stubbornly stuck to her real last name.

"Vilana?" Cordé face screwed up in puzzlement.

"Cabaré, actually." Versé amended reluctantly.

Cordé face brightened. "Oh, yes. Anyway, I noticed you earlier. You seemed...intelligent."

Versé grinned. "Why, yes, I am intelligent. What about you? Are you up to my level?" She teased.

Cordé smiled. "Of course. I hope to get into the University to take politics."

Versé sighed.

"You don't seem happy..." Cordé observed.

"It wasn't my choice to come to Theed City and take the exam to get in." Versé explained. "My family problems are a bit complicated."

Cordé nodded. "Listen, a bunch of us are going over to a local café. Would you like to come with us?"

"Sure."

Versé got up and followed Cordé.

EDIT: Is that more realistic?

18. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    the torture of a cliffhanger!
    anyway, great post! so was that the senator?

19. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Great post, and even having her and Corde meet up for the first time was pretty clever.

Only and hour long entrance exam? And an extremely short wait for the results? Definately not something that happens in the real world, that's for sure. [face_laugh] ;)

20. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Er, I'll fix that.

21. Obischick

Aug 25, 2001
    Excellent, excellent post Yané!! I loved how she is slowly changing the things around her. Her nightgown, her clothes, and finally her wretchedly yellow room! Lavender is much better. I think my eyes would hurt if I went into a bright yellow room everyday!

As for morning gruel, I suppose thats sense, it just sounds gross now!! :p

And I'm glad she decided not to fail, she's too smart to fail. And I'm glad she's met Cordé! That's awesome! Yay! And then when they both pass, because they WILL, they can be in the same classes together. :)

Can't wait for more!

~Obischick

22. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Thanks Obischick!

I'll try to post some more of the story this afternoon.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I would post again, but I need to know, when is a realistic time to get back their scores?

24. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    It all depends. Was it scantron or essay? [face_laugh]

Just kidding. Two hours works for me. :)

25. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Okay, here's more.

Chapter 7
    The Calm Before the Storm

Versé was sitting with Cordé in the waiting area when a slender, balding man came out of the door.

"Good day. I am Riv Lasko, dean of the University of Theed. I remind you all that if you score in above 90%, you will be admitted to the University. However, if you score below 90%, you will not."

He handed out the papers, at the opposite end from Versé and Cordé. They groaned as this served to heighten their anxiety. Both knew that they were intelligent and chances of them getting in were high, but this did little to qualm their fears.

At last, Mr. Lasko handed a paper to Cordé, and then finally, Versé. Versé stared in shock at her 99%. She looked over at Cordé's paper. A red 98% resided at the top of it.

She hugged Cordé. "Congratulations!"

Cordé returned the hug. "And to you! Wow, a 99%!"

Others had not fared so well. Cordé's friend, Rima, was fighting back the tears. Cordé turned to her side to console her friend.

"Life is good," said Cordé, "I pass the exam and I have a wonderful boyfriend. Even though he's in Peoria."

"Really? I have a boyfriend in Peoria too."

"So we have yet another thing in common!"

They laughed. The Cabaré replusorlimo dropped Cordé off at her mansion, and continued on her way.

Versé tiredly made her way to her room, where a holomessage awaited her. She moved to pick up the message.

Hmm...who's the message from? Pay close attention to the ominious title....

[face_devil]

Er, and if anything is unrealistic or if there are any Earth-isms, please tell me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.