main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends %Rainy%--Padawan Qui-Gon, Master Dooku-- angst, adventure, humor. --NEW 1/22--

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Charmisjess, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Author's note: Hmm, okay, here's the big ideas. Pre-JA Jedi drama, much angst later on so I'll warn you ahead of time, adventure type fic. :D I hope you guys like this, and as you know, I own none of this except my few scattered OCs. Happy reading!

Dedicated to: Jurious, because she made angsty Qui-Gon/Dooku adventure sagas cool!

So, here you go!

~'~
    A strange and marvelous thing, the rain. Refreshing, gloomy, oppressive, watering, cleansing, dismal, healing, quiet and loud all jumbled up together in a downpour of life. It is, quite simply, the pure essence of growth itself. The clouds bruise the sky, and the thunder threatens, but after the rain flood comes, what?s left behind is shining. Rain is growing up.

~'~

?Master!?

The irregular clomp of boots echoed down the hallway of the grand palace of Trisstar. The high-ceilinged design of the long, marbled hallway magnified even the most dainty of steps; running was elevated to chaotic clatter. The sound of the footsteps increased, and then briefly paused, only to resume a few seconds later at a slower, more casual pace.

Dooku finally stopped, flashing a bemused half-smile and turning around to face his apprentice. ?Did we not have words about running indoors, Qui-Gon??

The younger Jedi closed the distance between himself and his mentor at a quick trot, his face coloring. ?You left me in the negotiations room, Master.? His voice was embarrassed, slightly hurt. ?I didn?t know where you had gone...?

The Jedi Master raised his eyebrows briefly, and then motioned for his Padawan to follow. ?I told you we were leaving, but you were too busy gawking at the princess to notice. So, I assumed you would just realize it eventually and catch up. As you have.?

?I wasn?t ?gawking,? Master.? Qui-Gon replied cooly, falling into step with Dooku. ?I was observing. She?s one of the royal family, and we?re assigned to protect them. I should at least know what they look like..?

Dooku?s smile broadened.

Qui-Gon frowned at him and then burst out, ?and she?s only, what, fifteen...sixteen??

?Something like that.? Dooku said, laughing softly. ?Only a rough three something year difference, and what is time, really??

?No, Master.? Qui-Gon mumbled, shooting him as frosty a look as he dared. The boy wouldn?t properly glare at his Master out of respect, Dooku knew, but the disdainful sulk was as close as it came.

The Jedi Master clapped him lightly on the shoulder, and offered a placating smile. It wasn?t often that he took to teasing his Padawan like this, but he felt something ought to be done to lighten the oppressive severity Qui-Gon had adopted of late. The boy was tired; they both were, of course, but Qui-Gon was taking it the worst. It seemed that the galaxy would not let him up for even a moment. They had hardly time at all to heal the wounds from their last disastrous mission-gone-wrong on Childor before being thrust into another situation.

But this mission would be different, Dooku told himself. It was a simple election on Trisstar. He was hoping a nice, straightforward assignment like this would be what Qui-Gon needed to shake off the darkness of the past few months. Even Jedi required a break sometimes. Even the best.

For his part, however, the boy was not playing along. He gave Dooku an irritated glance, his brow furrowing. ?That rough four something year difference is enough. I think perhaps not.?

?She not your type, mm??

He rolled his eyes at his Master and kept walking.

?No one?s your type.? Dooku sighed, giving up. ?So, how do you like the palace??

Qui-Gon reached out, brushing the pinkish stone walls lightly as he walked. The indignation was gone from his voice; he was every part the dutiful Padawan again. ?Beautiful,? he murmured. ?They?ve certainly invested a good amount of money to make their royal estate this lovely.?

Dooku nodded. ?The ruler?s quite a character. And you must admit, his daughter is lovely. This whole planet seems to have such an idyllic setup, don?t you t

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay! [face_dancing] Another Dooku/Qui fic! :D

Great start! Love the humor between the two!

So this lady is an 'important' advisor, eh? Mpf...I can understand Dooku's thoughts of the woman. But lo...it could be a warning if even a threat. Definitely gotta keep ya guard up around that chick.

Welcome back!

3. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    =D=
    This looks like a really good start!

Poor Qui-Gon - never a moments peace!

Ohh, this lady-priestess-thing sounds like someone to be aware of!

Can't wait for next chapter!

4. Sarahthenerd

Sarahthenerd Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    You're a darn good writer, and I'm looking forward to more. :D

5. M-vampier

M-vampier Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    Weee another good Qui/Dooku story!

I enjoy your writing, both in this and in Kite.

Poor Qui-Gon things doesn't look too bright.

well greate story please update soon :)

6. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    oooh...very nice characterization of Dooku! He's not quite evil, but you made a point of showing how he's annoyed by certain things *grins* and it does a lot to show off who he is.

7. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Oooh, you all are so kind! :) I'm glad you're liking this so far, I'll have chapter two up in a couple of days. But in the meantime- author notes! :D I'm so happy to see people are actually enjoying this...When I first posted, I put up active topic alert thingie, but then nothing was ever sent alerting me, so I was very discouraged indeed, but then I checked, and readers! and so happy times indeed!!! :D

Kynstar: I'm glad this is to your liking, lol, since you are the authority on Dook, *bows to your greatness* :) Yes, and Qui and Dook are the best to write, I think I'll stick writing them for quite a bit. BTW-random, um, where is the quote on your sig. from?

Qui-Gina-Jinn: [face_blush] Awwww, thank you! I appreciate the kind words, and yes, updates, soon!! :D

Sarah!!! Hey!! :D *waves madly* Aw, thank you so much, you're so kind! Oh-and while we're speaking of good writing, how's Making doing? *hopeful smiles* :) Soon, maybe, update?

M-vampier: Thank you!! I'm glad to see you're liking this one too, it's supposed to take place a little after the events of Kite-kinda a follow-up of sorts. Thanks for reviewing! :)

Lady_Snow_Kaguya: Oh, I'm so glad you're liking my Dook...I had a lot of angst over whether or not he was in character for this-that's very reassuring! :) Thanks for the review!

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004

It's from my viggie that I did (or Songfic actually) :D I'll PM you the link. And yeppers it is of Dooku of course ;)

9. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very nice beginning! I like your characterization of Qui and Dooku, both very in keeping with the way I see them. I like the description of Qui as being almost too big to be allowed inside--a creature of the outdoors. Lovely. Also liked his wide-eyed innocence. :D I'm a bit confused though--is he older or younger than the princess? I assume older, but it could be taken either way.

I like Dooku, too, the way he likes silence, and quickly responds in kind to the haughty priestess. Very intriguing, she--wonder what she's on about, talking about how holy the monarch is.

Great job! Keep it up!

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I thought I had replied to this! Gah! bad laurie! Bad!

What an excellent chapter Jess!! Qui-Gon being impressed by the finery and Dooku's characterizations were wonderful! I especially loved how no one was Qui-GOn's type! Hahahah!

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the description of the rain in this one. The relationship between Dooku and Qui-Gon seems just right.

But that woman is a nut-case. I wonder if she is the advisor or someone's insane aunt wandering about the palace annoying people.

Looking forward to more.

12. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Maychorian: Ooooh, such kind words! [face_blush] Thanks for such a nice review, I appreciate it a whole lot. Oh, and yes, Qui is older than the princess...like by 2 or 3 years or something.

Laurie! Hehe, glad you are liking this O' Laurie of mine! ^_^ Of course no one's Qui's type...he's a very choosy sort, I should think. Thanks for reviewing!

Diane: Aw, you're so kind. ^^ Lol, yes, Lasteera is fun times. :D She's gonna be/has been a blast to write-especially the next couple chapters. Totally mad.

And now, time for part 2!! I haven't officially decided a chapter name for it, but no one uses chapter name on tf.net anyway. (do they? :rolleyes: )

~'~

Qui-Gon regarded his reflection in the mirror with forced concern. ?Look presentable,? Dooku had asked of him, but he never specified how exactly that was to be accomplished. Qui-Gon?s concept of appearances and Dooku?s were rather different.

Futilely, he flattened his hair down with water and leaned back to observe the effect. He had tried, honestly tried to keep his hairstyle short and padawanish, but being dragged from one end of the galaxy to the other didn?t allow a lot of time for hair cuts. At the moment, his hair was shorter, just hanging down to his ears; too long to look tidy, too short to sweep up into a Dooku-style ponytail. He sighed, blowing his bangs out of his eyes. It needed to be cut or...something. But as skilled as Dooku was with a lightsaber, Qui-Gon wasn?t letting him ever try to cut his hair.

For a long moment, he toyed with the idea of trying to trim it himself, but then, no, it was almost time to go, and he still had to knot the perpetual Padawan braid.

Abruptly, Dooku appeared in the doorway, apparently back from his walk. Qui-Gon noticed that his Master looked bit bothered about something, presumably him. He turned around, offering a sheepish smile. ?I?m almost ready, sorry Master.?

Dooku leaned against the door frame and smiled. ?Don?t worry about it, I?ve still got to get changed as well, and there isn?t anything wrong with being fashionably late.? He stroked his dark goatee thoughtfully. ?It creates a certain effect...a panache, if you will...?

?Very distinguished...a certain...lack of punctuality, yes, yes, I agree, quite becoming...? Qui-Gon smirked, untangling the long plait of hair that was usually braided into the symbol of his training.

Dooku wagged his finger reprovingly. ?Do not mock that which you do not understand, young one.? He gave Qui-Gon a solemn look of mock disdain. ?It?s no fault of mine that somehow none of my natural elegance has been impressed upon you.?

Qui-Gon laughed softly. ?Indeed, young one now am I? So then, accordingly, may I call you old one??

?Impertinent wretch,? Dooku snorted, reaching out to still Qui-Gon?s fumbling with his braid. ?Now, hold still.? He began to braid rapidly. The symbolic Padawan braid seemed to form itself under his quick fingers, smooth and remarkably untangled. He tied off the braid with a small elastic band and then pulled away to skeptically appraise. ?Right, let me see.? Dooku paced around the boy, reaching in to dust lint off his navy blue dress tunic, or smooth his hair down futilely. He paused again. ?And your hands??

Impatiently, Qui-Gon presented his hands for inspection, shifting his weight from foot to foot.

At last, Dooku nodded to him in mild approval. ?Yes, I suppose that will do...but before we go scrub out those nails...how you get so grimy, the Force only knows...but I suppose you?ve cleaned up well enough. I?m going to go get changed.?

Qui-Gon nodded, and Dooku swept off to find his dress tunic. The young Jedi scrubbed at his nails for a few moments more before finally giving up with disgust. He flicked his hands to rid them of the excess water and wiped them dry on his pants. They looked good enough.

Finally Dooku glided out of his half of the quarters, his best look of elegant aloofness in place. He had chosen a loose shirt, deep maroon, offset with a black cloak for his evenin

13. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Yay! I get first review! Hehehee poor Qui his hair not quite long enough to pin up so it just has to go shaggy ;)

Ooooh interesting developments here! Wonder what the spy was tailing them for and why Qui has a headache ;)

Good job Jess!!

14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Oooh...lovely. 'Ominous', indeed. Wallwalkers, eh? Interesting. And Quigs has a headache. Oh, not good.

Am loving all of this. :D More soon?

15. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Laurie!!! Wow-first post, very good, I guess you do love me after all.. lol! ;) [:D] Yeah, isn't Qui so cute? ! ^_^ Thanks for your nice words!

Princess_Arulmozhi: Yep, lots of trouble in store for Quigs and Dook...yeah, and WallWalkers...perhaps I might have made a more creative name for them.. ;) hmm. Anyway, thank you for the comment! Oh, while I'm talking to you-indirectly-I wanted to say that I'm in the middle of reading your "By the pricking.." fic...it's awesome! I prolly won't have time to comment and finish until next week because of work and all...but...great stuff!!!

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay another chapter up!! [face_dancing]

Ohhh loved how Dooku got all 'attack' mode there [face_mischief] and Qui had to intercede on the girl's behalf. [face_laugh] Yep can see that happening.

I also thought the 'getting ready' part was cute! Poor Qui and his hair ;)

But the fact that they were possibly being spied on...that would unnerve me too. So I can agree on Dooku's action there ;) I'd prob pull the same act. She was spying and the fact that they didn't get anything from her... But they do have to hurry to the 'banquet' perhaps they'll run into the girl again. Nifty concept there though with her race. That was cool :D

17. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Aw, Qui-Gon is so sweet. [face_love] I like the way you draw the contrasts between him and Dooku. The little spy is interesting too.

LOL! Looking forward to see if they survive the party! It's a dangerous mission, indeed.

18. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Kynstar: LOL-attack mode, yeah, Dook can't help it. :D We got to watch those sith tendencies! I can't imagine Dook would care for spies much. Qui certainly has his hands full keeping his Master out of trouble. Oh, I'm glad you like my Wallwalker...I couldn't tell if that was overdone or not, with the sticky fingers. ^_^ Thanks for your kind comments, always cheers me up so much!

maychorian: Yeah, isn't Qui so cute? *pokes at him* It's fun to write him and Dooku as the two extremes, but then their differences work together. LOL-and yes, Jedi at a party...recipe for disaster. ;)

19. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Hello Hello! [face_batting] I'm back with a post for you all, miss me? :D Anyway, here you are, new chapter, hope you like it...this one was particularly fun for me. Let me know what you think!

~*~

Being as late as they were, Qui-Gon expected their entrance to the party be rather awkward. He imagined walking into the hall to find everyone stiffly seated, obviously waiting dinner on their inconsiderate, tardy guest?s arrival. However, his mental picture of how the Monarch?s banquet would be was far different from the merry scene that met his eyes as they entered.

No one was sitting down, and it seemed that their absence was hardly noted at all. Guests, dignitaries and palace staff mingled together in a colorful sea of beings around the great dining hall. The hall itself was very impressive. The room was designed like a great glass ball stretched out over the gardens and overlooking the swollen River of Trisstar. The lights of the party reflected on the unusual glass walls, making the whole room glow like a throbbing gem of color.

Qui-Gon was practically walking on Dooku?s heels by the time they had entered the throng of guests chatting, laughing and discussing on the tiled ball room floor. Dooku was an aristocrat; he was deep into his element at this party. He moved gracefully among the other guests, neither stepping on toes or knocking shoulders. Beside him, Qui-Gon felt peculiarly awkward and commonplace. Qui-Gon was oddly tempted to hang on to the back of Dooku?s tunic to avoid losing his Master in the crowd.

As they waded deeper into the crush, Dooku was abruptly stopped by a loud yell of delight. The guests around them suddenly moved away, as if clouds parting to reveal a glowing sun. The source of the noise was a short, but energetic little man, with bright, greenish eyes and blondish hair. He opened his arms widely with excitement at seeing Dooku, and two spots of red flush burst to bloom on his chubby cheeks. Qui?Gon might have mistaken him for a random, drunken guest if not for the ornate, overstated crown that quite gave him away as the Grand Monarch of Trisstar.

?Jedi Master!? Fortin cried joyously, advancing on them, and, to Qui-Gon?s surprise, he threw an amiable arm around Dooku?s neck. It wasn?t just the awkwardness that Fortin had hardly been introduced to Dooku and was now hanging on him; Dooku had never really been one for being touched. At the embrace, the Master froze up, his gentle, aloof smile solidifying into a tight grimace. Fortin didn?t break the hug, instead, pounding him on the back heartily, totally oblivious to Dooku?s discomfort. ?You honor us by your presence at my humble banquet!?

Dooku choked out the closest noise to a squeak that Qui-Gon had ever heard him make, as he tried to extract himself from Fortin?s strangling grasp and recover his poise at the same time. ?It?s...our...pleasure!?

Fortin giggled somewhat drunkenly. It was apparent that the party had been going on for a while before the Jedi had arrived. ?Marvelous...? He finally released Dooku?s neck, and the Jedi Master jerked away convulsively, gasping as if he had been held underwater for the entire while. ?And this charming young man, your apprentice, now what did you say his name was??

Dooku quickly pushed Qui-Gon forward, trying to get as much space and people between himself and the Monarch as possible. ?Oh, of course. This is Qui-Gon Jinn, Padawan Learner.? He steered the boy into Fortin?s handshake.

Fortin enthusiastically pumped Qui-Gon?s arm, beaming. ?Ah, yes, wonderful! Oh, and I must introduce my advisors to you...? Blinking, he looked around, his face curved downward, comically quizzical. ?but where have they gone? Ahh...? He reached into the crowd and almost immediately fished out a tall, longsuffering-looking man from the waves of guests. ?There we are! Tormarius! These are the Jedi I told you about!?

Tormarius gave them each a tired smile, seemingly relieved to see them. He looked slightly disheveled, almost ill, but his eyes were kind and steady as he regarde

20. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh loved the Princess! LOL! Miss talks alot. [face_laugh] And her warning Qui of the priestess and then going back to 'kissing a girl' hehehehe hilarious!

Loved Dooku's 'learn to read lips' that was great! Well done and welcome back :)

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh jess that was so lovely!!! hehehe poor Qui-Gon with that annoying princess ;)

You've got more right!? It's just so goood you can't stop there!

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Oy, girl, I have missed you. [:D] And trust you to come back with a wonderful, wonderful post. Hee. Li' Princess Talky-talk. Gotta love all the yakking. And poor, poor Qui, who has to learn lip-reading, on top of everything else. Great descriptions.

Danger? Murder! Jess, come back, I need another post!!! <chases after author>

PS: Glad you liked 'Thumbs' so much. Even if it's been ages since I updated. :D

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I just found this and love it! I haven't caught up yet, but I love what I've read so far! =D=

24. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, I just loved that! [face_laugh] Dooku afraid of being "snuggled," and poor Qui-Gon with nosy princess! She's adorable, and very honest. Qui-Gon was very well-written in that, too, embarrassed and curious and trying so hard to be a Jedi. Great job!

Keep writing!

25. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh man, I'm so close to being done with the next chapter...which for some reason is turning out very angsty...but we'll see how it turns out! Thanks for sticking with me!!

Kynstar: yay! You're my first poster Kyn! :D I'm glad you're liking this chappie... and yes, the princess is lotsa fun. Her and Qui are the best to write.

Laurie! Aww, yes, more is coming soon, although my next chapter is less cheerful and funny and more angsty. But I think you'll like it, Qui and Dook get to fight and I know how much you love that. ;)

Princess_Arulmozhi: [:D] It's so nice to be missed!! :) And I'm so glad you liked my chapter...this one was my fav. so far. I know, the plot thickens!!
    Oh, oh, and yes, Thumbs is marvelous ficage!

VaderLVR64: A new reader, that makes me happy! :) I'm glad you're liking so far, thanks for reviewing!

maychorian: Aww, I'm glad you enjoyed Qui... I was afraid he came out sounding Obi-ish this chapter, but I feel better now. Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.