main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Ralph Fiennes as Darth Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Glymphid_Warlord, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    I think he would have been a much better choice than Ray Park. What do you all think?

2. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Great actor but sorry, no. Ray Park is Darth Maul. Even though he had no lines, Peter Serafinowicz was the voice, he will always be remembered as Maul, much like how James Earl Jones will always be rememberd as Vader.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Loved him in Schindler and Harry Potter, but for Darth Maul? Absolutely not. It would just be a bunch of digital doubles, like they used for Tyranus and Sidious. The great thing about Ray Park is that he was, first and foremost, a stuntman and martial artist. So, even though they had to dub his lines to make him more ominous, physically he trumped anyone in the Saga. Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee gave us great "thespian Sith Lords", leave Maul to be the master of combat.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Pretty much this.

5. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I agree. How can you have Ralph Fiennes in that role and have him say three lines?

No. Ray Park was perfect.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ray Park was awesome. I just can't see Ralph with a lightstaff, at all. Decent actor, though. But Ray is Maul. :D

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    ray park is one of the most underused actors ever. he should be in way more movies then he is. he is the best part about the phantom menace. heck i saw the crapfest that was the first gi joe movies strickly because he was in it. i'm waiting for an iron fist movie starring him...

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How? And why Ralph Fiennes?

9. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Ralph Fiennes butchered Voldemort, he would butcher Maul.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    BF: How so? I thought Ralph's Volty was very flat, dull, and not scary. Now, for me, Ralph was frightning in Schindler's List. However, as Maul, no, still not seeing it.

11. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Nope. Ray Park is Darth Maul. They did the absolute right thing casting a true martial artist in the role. I think he could have pulled off the dialogue just fine without the dub too. He had lots of lines in `Heroes` and pulled them off rather believably.

12. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Upon viewing Maul's return in The Clone Wars, it is evident that there is a LOT more to the character than the "martial arts" persona you all seem to perceive. I feel like 1. Ralph Fiennes would look the part just as well as Ray Park, if not better 2. Fiennes has a good enough voice, he could have given a chilling Maul characterization and 3.

[image=http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/10/9/1c4fc298-ade9-46a2-bbad-6c92c6067a6a.jpg]

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But we aren't talking about TCW, are we?

They chose Ray Park for a reason, and that was his martial arts skills. How would Ralph Fiennes do the part? And how could he be better?

So, you are talking about the voice? Well, I can see Ralph doing the voice too, but I don't understand why him specially, and not someone else.

If Ralph were Darth Maul, it wouldn't need any comparison because he was the character to begin with. ;)

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I watched Enter the Dragon last night: Ray Park was more like Bruce Lee than Serafinowicz was like James Earl Jones....

Maul didn't say enough to be remembered in that manner; but he did do more than enough physically, to warrant being brought back from the dead. Tattoos aside, Maul's brilliance was tied directly to his real-time combat prowess. His level of badassery was wholly believable, immersible even... just like Bruce Lee.

As for Ray's voice, I've heard the Maul scene's where he spoke and immediately, I understood why they hired Pete.:p

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I agree about Voldemort. He just didn't deliver any menace as a villain on screen.

Fiennes was miscast but he is still a good actor.

The book Voldemort would be disgusted by the film voldemort.

But yeah. I really see NO reason why Fiennes of all people should be Maul. That's like me saying Halle Berry should have been Padme.

Its just so random.

Im sorry If i offend you! :(

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/MilaSkywalker.jpg]
    Or this.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    BF: You're not offending me, relax. [:D] In this case I mistook what you meant by 'Ralph would butcher' a char. That's on me. @};- In this, we're agreed Ralph would not be better than Ray was as Maul. Even in other threads when we disagree, I'm not offended. I like hearing others' views. I'm very curious by nature. :D

Personally, I think Ray's voice would've suited Maul fine. However, Ralph's not really. Plus, I'm one that just doesn't buy that Maul survived Naboo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.